Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jerry can in the boot?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently testing how many MPG I am getting from the car and want to run the tank real low. I was thinking a jerry can would do the job so I could store petrol in the boot.

Are these safe though? ie. Is there much chance of one leaking.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The red plastic ones you buy in any petrol station have to conform to a certain EU standard for containers carrying flammable liquids. They're perfectly safe, but it makes sense to put it somewhere where it can't bounce around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A proper one should be safe enough, I would have thought. Don't allow a car with a catalytic converter to run out of petrol though, it's bad for the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You dont need to do it that way, brim the tank, set the odemeter run the car for say 200 miles rebrim the tank and so see how many litres/euros it takes.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Running the tank dry isn't great for the fuel pump either, particularly if it's an 'in tank' one; the fuel helps to keep them cooled.

It's nice to know though, how much range you can actually get out of a full tank, so running it down to fumes is an interesting experiment in and of itself.

A proper fuel can in good condition should be fine in the boot, provided it's properly restrained and can't fly around the place while cornering/braking/accelerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

mike65 wrote: »
    You dont need to do it that way, brim the tank, set the odemeter run the car for say 200 miles rebrim the tank and so see how many litres/euros it takes.

Mike.

+1
    Why on earth you'd bother playing chicken with the fuel guage beats me...
    Rovi wrote: »
    Running the tank dry isn't great for the fuel pump either, particularly if it's an 'in tank' one; the fuel helps to keep them cooled.

I know a guy destroyed the fuel pump on his Focus this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A proper steel jerry can is the safest way to carry any fuel apart from the vehicle tank itself.
    The plastic POS that you can get to buy 5 litres of petrol for a lawnmower are not safe to be carrying in the boot for extended distances.
    I used to carry a 20l ex- german army one when driving long distances in the middle of the night years back, when 24hrs stations were a rarity.
    You can get the clamp-on spouts for them and they work very well allowing the tank to breathe and avoiding "glugging"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

I believe that the safest way to have a jerry can with fuel in it(as against empty) is to have it as full as possible. This will stop expansion and contraction of the remaining air from temperature change and will reduce vapour which is explosive unlike liquid fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭blackbox

biggus wrote: »
    I believe that the safest way to have a jerry can with fuel in it(as against empty) is to have it as full as possible. This will stop expansion and contraction of the remaining air from temperature change and will reduce vapour which is explosive unlike liquid fuel.

You're right about the vapour being explosive, but you still should not fill the can above the design level. The air/vapour space is necessary to allow for expansion of the liquid as the temperature rises. The vapour can compress, but the liquid can't. If there is not enough headspace to absorb the expansion of the liquid, the container can leak or rupture under the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

OK so lets agree its safer to have jerry can full rather than half full ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a fallacy to believe that the best way to measure your mpg is to let the tank run empty. It's much easier to fill to the brim (when you can see the fuel), reset your milage, drive for a half a tank or whatever, note the mileage and refil amount and then repeat the exercise a few times. Then calculate the average .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

If you do decide to take a jerry can with you - put it in when you think you're going to run out on that journey - e.g. when you're on 1/4 a tank left.
    Otherwise you should slowly open the jerry can regularly to release the pressure build up in the can.
    But the best way if as others have said - to do a controlled experiment with the tank filed to the brim (so you can see the petrol at the cap) resetting trip computer and watching how many litres were required to fill the tank up.

Also - read up on hyper-miling on Google. I tried a few of the 'safer' techniques recently and was impressed with the results (~750 miles per tank on an 04 TDI estate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭brundle

Just fill it as said above and refill after set number of miles. this will give mpg. Why would you need to know the maximum range like you are suggesting. Just get your mpg and get your tank volume from manufacturer and you will have an acccurate enough figure

Advertisement