Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stopped by gardai

Options
  • 02-09-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i was stopped by the gardai about two months ago, i had no tax. garada asked me to nomintae station to show licence and insurance, didnt have licence with me at the time. i showed these docs at the station, now i hear from a friend, that i could still be brought to court and fined for not having tax. any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

split off from "motor tax" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i was stopped by the gardai about two months ago, i had no tax. garada asked me to nomintae station to show licence and insurance, didnt have licence with me at the time. i showed these docs at the station, now i hear from a friend, that i could still be brought to court and fined for not having tax. any ideas anyone?

What is Motor Tax?
    Motor Tax is a separate charge from Vehicle Registration Tax. It is a legal requirement in Ireland to have motor tax if you want to drive your vehicle in a public place. The more powerful your vehicle, the higher the cost of your motor tax. Not only are you obliged by law to pay motor tax to drive your vehicle, you are also required to display evidence that you have paid on the windscreen of your vehicle. This is done by displaying your tax disc on the windscreen. Failure to display the disc is considered a motoring offence and will result in an on-the-spot fine issued by a traffic warden or a Garda.

seems unlikley that you will get any more hassle once yer documents are ok

he just wanted to be sure you had the other stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Did you present your tax disc at the station?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Having no tax, and also not displaying tax are offences. You could be summonsed for either, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Did you just have no tax displayed, or di you have no tax full stop? If you weren't taxed I'd expect that you'd be in for a fine alright...

• Advertisement
Advertisement