Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starlet NCT failure

Options
  • 25-02-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey,
    have a 96 starlet at the minute, 90-96 shape, put it through the nct the last day and it failed on a few bits.
    Exhaust manifold is leaking/ticking so they couldn't check emissions, front wishbone bushes and wiper mountings.

Spent the day today trying to get them sorted but absolutely nothing went right :(

Lads in the exhaust centre told me to patch the manifold up with gun gum myself, will this do the job?

Then there was the bushes, no motor factors had them at all and said they couldnt even order them in and told me to go to the main dealer. Main dealer said i'll have to buy the whole wishbone itself at a price of €90 + vat it just isnt worth it. Does anyone have any idea where i'd get just the bushes?
    These'd hardly do: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/bushes-bump-stops-vehicle-specific/car/toyota/starlet-96-99/powerflex-control-arm-inner-bush--front-bushes-car-set

I'm assuming the mountings are 'linkeages' and once again cant find them at all...

Has anyone had any problems like these before or how would you recommend sorting them, as always want to keep cost to a minimum if possible, any help or links at all would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Go to motor factors and get the whole wishbone. Mine cost 73 for both sides at trade on a 98 astra. I think the wife's cost 60 each but that wasn't trade, 05 astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭SJPK

Might be just as handy I suppose, when I asked the dealer when they'd have it in, he reckoned it would be well into May before they'd have it if I ordered it today :( Might give the motor factors a shout tomorrow so, thanks

colm_mcm wrote: »

They seem very expensive, are parts for Toyota really that much everywhere?
    @OP, it's a much easier job just throwing in a set of wishbones, pressing bushings in can be a pain.

Thought the ones on mickgarage were s bit pricey alright but I havent even checked the motorfactors yet :P startin to think I might as well just do the whole wishbone alright...

what do ye make of puttin gun gum around the manifold?

• Advertisement

SJPK wrote: »
    Thought the ones on mickgarage were s bit pricey alright but I havent even checked the motorfactors yet :P startin to think I might as well just do the whole wishbone alright...

what do ye make of puttin gun gum around the manifold?

Gun gum may last for the test but its not a long term solution, try ring some scrappys and see if you could sort 1.
    Keep us updated if you get prices for wishbones from motor factors, just out of interest.
    If your based near mayo then Ballina motor factors are great with prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

The exhaust manifold is cast iron, and gets extremely hot. I don't think you could get gun gum to stick to it, and it'd blow off even if you did. It could be as simple as needing a gasket? Even if it has sprung a leak (which is highly unlikely on a cast iron manifold), it's an easy metal to weld for someone with the right gear. They're quite expensive even second hand from a breakers, so try and fix what you have first.

Bushings are available cheaply on ebay, like these ones (4 for less than €40 delivered to parcel motel). Doing wishbones is a pointless expense on an old car, you could almost buy another one with the cost of a pair of wishbones. There's also poly bushes available if you wanted to keep the car long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

if you were to ask on toyotaownersclub-irl.com, you'd probably pick up a good second hand manifold and linkages quite cheaply.

starlets wouldn't be at all well known for going through wishbone bushings, so i wouldn't be afraid to try a set of second hand complete wishbones if you are really on a very tight budget.

Thing is, I think it is the gasket thats gone at the manifold but you should see the faces people pull when I mention taking the manifold off to change the gasket when they see the state of the nuts that are holdin it on, and I dont think wd40 wouls be much help... :-D if the gun gum would hold for the re test I'd be delighted and try and sort somethin after that.

Rang two motor factors earlier, one of them could only find ball joints and the other one said he couldnt find anything, wishbone or bushings :P The scrappers didnt have a starlet forthe wipers so I dont they'll have a wishbone handy.

Right, nearly 3 months down the line and still no nct!! I got the wiper mountings from a scrappy in portlaoise and bought and fitted them bushings off ebay and patched the manifold up with gun gum.
    Put it through the re test and it failed on the bushings, as i dont think they were the exact fit and emmissions, the emmissions were nearly 3 times the hc limit :(
    Since then I bought and fitted the full wishbone off micksgarage and brought it to a garage to find out the problem with emmissions. First they thought it was the oxygen sensor before the cat so kept the car for the day with the hope of changing it but when they took it out and checked it they said the sensor itself was okay but there was no power, or something like that, getting to it or maybe there is some problem with the ecu and to bring it back some other day.

Just wondering has anyone any experience with this sort of problem or know of anyone in galway who would be fairly good with old toyotas? The car is fairly heavy on petrol doing about 170/80 miles to about 40/50 euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement