Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda superb or similar Opinions

• 14-06-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭

hi guys,
    I have worked hard and finally saved enough money to buy myself a new car, so far in the kitty i have 20k.

I have explored trading in my current car 07 Leon against a few brand new cars

Hyundai i30 tourer
    focus zetec s fully kitted
    Kia ceed
    skoda octavia and skoda rapid

I have not liked any of these cars in the long run as i got bored of them by the end of the test drive.

What i did drive and fell in love with was the skoda superb.

im currently stuck as i don't know wether a want a saloon
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/AMB.-GL-/32913606826481210/advert?channel=CARS

or an estate
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/CO-AMBIE/36713703549747210/advert?channel=CARS

has anybody here any opinions on them or even own one. i have never owed an estate car before but think i would like one. i have a small kid and a buggy to accommodate so might be a bit greedy wanting an estate.

in saying that as much as i loved the superb i would love to here other recommendations , the only thing i really want is a diesel with low road tax

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Saloon all the way, looks a much classier car imo anyway. Anything to be said for a mondeo? :)http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/TITANIUM/36313699217713860/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

We owned the an early saloon model 09-13 and it was a great car, still the best we've had. Personally I'd have the estate as 1. They are way better looking and 2. I way prefer estate to other models anyway and with the Superb in estate form you could carry your house in it.

The superb we had was a 1.9TDi 105, Ambition Greenline. Bar an aircon hose being loose when it was delivered and obviously bulbs, it never went wrong. I'd recommend one to anyone looking for a family car/space to carry stuff.

It also averaged about 50mpg which my dad reckons is better than what he is getting now in his 1.6TDCi 115 Mondeo, even with the 6 speed box over the 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

@MONDY....i wouldnt drive a mondeo im afraid. My area manager used to drive one and my heart dropped every time i saw it, i dont need one outside my door lol

@FOXHOLE Norman... its the 1.6tdi 105 ambition greenline that im looking at in the saloon model. have heard of people saying the engine was under powered for the car but i didnt feel it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Gers_punto wrote: »
    @FOXHOLE Norman... its the 1.6tdi 105 ambition greenline that im looking at in the saloon model. have heard of people saying the engine was under powered for the car but i didnt feel it

It's not a fast car with the 1.6TDi but its perfectly adequate for it. Safe to overtake in with a decent amount of torque. Admittedly the 1.9 feels faster due to the sudden surge of torque you get with the PD engine compared to the current CR engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have a superb diesel at the moment. I've had it foe 4.5 years and its the best car I have ever owned ( Merc bmw,) keep your powder dry for 1/2 months as there is a facelifted SuperB coming out and the current model will be heavily discounted.
    You won't be disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

For the love of God man, why would you go to all that expense and buy a car you love, only to destroy it all by getting one with an engine with less power than a toaster?

I'm not one of the speed speed speed brigade. Far from it. And that 1.6, 105bhp would be good and punchy in a small car like a Fabia or a Rapid. But in a car of that size I just think its criminal to power it will such a motor. You'll get little enjoyment from driving your new car. There comes a cut off point when engines just get too small/underpowered for the amount of car they're hauling.

Go for the 2 litre TDI mate. Its the very least you should have under that bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

You're spending 20k and the one thing you want is low road tax? You're spending €20,000 here.....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

166man wrote: »
    You're spending 20k and the one thing you want is low road tax? You're spending €20,000 here.....:confused:

It's a perfectly valid concern if you ask me, especially on a family car, and although the OP doesn't mention it the greenline tag does imply it. Nothing wrong with someone spending 20k on a car and wanting low motor tax, they will be hit by deprecation for sure but many people think about running costs after they have spent their money.

OP, Herselfs parents have a 2011 one. Nice and comfortable but they have said they are sorry they didn't for the 2 litre model a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Jesus. wrote: »
    For the love of God man, why would you go to all that expense and buy a car you love, only to destroy it all by getting one with an engine with less power than a toaster?

I'm not one of the speed speed speed brigade. Far from it. And that 1.6, 105bhp would be good and punchy in a small car like a Fabia or a Rapid. But in a car of that size I just think its criminal to power it will such a motor. You'll get little enjoyment from driving your new car. There comes a cut off point when engines just get too small/underpowered for the amount of car they're hauling.

Go for the 2 litre TDI mate. Its the very least you should have under that bonnet.

the 1.6 octavia has plenty power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

mickman wrote: »

Only in Ireland would you see a statement like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Big car for a 1.6 engine. All depends on your req's OP. If your tapping around town and won't be regular on the open roads then the 1.6 is sufficient for your needs.
    Skoda were and I think are still doing good rates on finance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

If your budget can stretch to it:

- wait for the facelifted version to hit the market
    - go for the estate.
    - opt for the 2ltr 170ps engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I'm waiting for VW/Skoda to put a 1.2 TDI in the Octavia and see people saying "it's adequate".

We rented a 2012 Octavia a while ago with the 1.6 TDI and while it wasn't too bad for getting from A to B, it did feel a bit sluggish. I'd go for the 2.0 TDI 170hp lump myself.

Also what kind of mileage do you do? Diesel may bring you more harm than good.

mickman wrote: »

My sister has one and to be honest its not too bad. Not great either though.

But we're talking about a Superb here man. We're almost in Luxobarge territory yet discussing the merits of a 1.6 105bhp engine? Sorry but I just think its madness.

The guy above is right. It seems to be a peculiarly Irish thing that we'd have no problem going out and spending 20 grand on a car but worry about road tax so much that we'd buy one with a Mickey Mouse motor in it!

Sobanek wrote: »
    I'm waiting for VW/Skoda to put a 1.2 TDI in the Octavia and see people saying "it's adequate".

Just wait until the 1 Litre Mondeo comes out! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would buy this one.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/COMBI-EL/201324215449161/advert?channel=CARS

irish people have a fascination with the newest plate and lowest tax they can spend. And thats utterly stupid imo as they invariably buy super low spec cars for top dollar.

I would much rather buy a nearly new with lots of toys. The enjoyment of having them would far outweigh impressing my neighbour with a newer plate.
    Also this will depreciate less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

That is one awesome car, but this ultra low mileage worries me. It's a question of whether the car was used rarely or frequently.

thanks for all the great replies fellas.

Im new to this whole new gen of cars with smaller engines so was presuming that they were more than sufficent, look like im gonna start looking down the 2l tdi route.

Also the thing about the cheap road tax, to clear that up anything that is cheaper than my current 370 per annum road tax im classing as cheap.

There seems to be plenty out there in 2 litre guise , Ive spotted a few pre reg in various delaers that are going to drop 5,000 approx once the face lift and 132 comes around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Gers_punto wrote: »
    thanks for all the great replies fellas.

Im new to this whole new gen of cars with smaller engines so was presuming that they were more than sufficent, look like im gonna start looking down the 2l tdi route.

When you're sitting behind the wheel of your new motor you will look back and thank your lucky stars you came to this conclusion. Now do you have the patience to wait for the facelift :confused:

I know I wouldn't :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The facelift model is typically very subtle and really only more noticeable on the rear of the saloon/hatch where they tried to address the clumsy styling of the boot. On the estate the only main difference is the addition of redesigned front LED DRL lights and rear tail lights.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    When you're sitting behind the wheel of your new motor you will look back and thank your lucky stars you came to this conclusion.

Absolutely. I've never met anyone yet that said they regretted getting a suitably powerful engine in their new car.

Best of luck OP. I do think you're on the right track with the 2L TDI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    The facelift model is typically very subtle and really only more noticeable on the rear of the saloon/hatch where they tried to address the clumsy styling of the boot. On the estate the only main difference is the addition of redesigned front LED DRL lights and rear tail lights.

Biggest change is the big drop in emissions.

Tax on a 2010 DSG 170 Estate is going to be high enough. Motortax.ie seems to be having issues, but I've emissions of 168 on a Hatch from 2010 which puts it in to the €570 a year bracket.

Still cheaper than engine sized based tax, but more than the OP is looking to pay, and more than he's currently paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

I have a combi 2.0 tdi and its a great car, loads of space, very comfortable and loads of toys. I would completely recommend buying one

In UK the prices are announced for the facelift model and they are £500/700 more expensive - so assuming they also rise in price here then I cant see the old model falling greatly overnight (I hope not anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Would you consider a used A6, S - Line spec minimum? The Avant is huge and unless you are regularly moving the contents of your house the saloon is plenty big enough. I've had Audi TDi's for the last 5 or so years and not doing high miles and only ever had a fuel filter issue caused by cheap dirty diesel.

A little off topic but the facelifted Superb 170 DSG 4x4 from ehat I can gather on the uk site will be the same as a 170 hp manual car now
    :).

A little off topic but the facelifted Superb 170 DSG 4x4 from ehat I can gather on the uk site will be the same as a 170 hp manual car now
    :).
    Sorry about that, I meant that the road tax on the 170hp 4x4 DSG will be the same as the 170 manual car is now. Hope that's a little clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

It's a perfectly valid concern if you ask me, especially on a family car, and although the OP doesn't mention it the greenline tag does imply it. Nothing wrong with someone spending 20k on a car and wanting low motor tax, they will be hit by deprecation for sure but many people think about running costs after they have spent their money.

OP, Herselfs parents have a 2011 one. Nice and comfortable but they have said they are sorry they didn't for the 2 litre model a couple of times.

EDIT: Nope, not even going to rise to this one. Too ridiculous to reply to. Apologies OP.

I'd go for the 2.0TDI if I were you, the extra power will be so welcome. :)

166man wrote: »
    EDIT: Nope, not even going to rise to this one. Too ridiculous to reply to. Apologies OP.

I'd go for the 2.0TDI if I were you, the extra power will be so welcome. :)

What's ridiculous? Many people have a budget for a car and the unfortunate case in this country is that nowadays motor tax has a bearing on residuals more than it ever had.

A lot of people do not consider the purchase price when working out running costs. Mad I know but it's obvious from many of the posts in here.

Not trying to rise you at all. Caught the post ninja edit too.

• Advertisement

I have to agree with 166. If someone has 20 Grand to spend on a car, if they're that worried about the tax that they might buy a lovely car but would sabotage the whole thing by getting one with a joke of an engine in it, they should look at similar cars for a grand or so less. If they're very concerned about spending an extra 200 quid a year on tax, that saving would cover 5 years of that cost and they'd get a proper car with a suitable engine with a decent amount of power in it and would enjoy getting into their car every day.

Its a no brainer for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Had a test drive in a 1.6Diesel, thought it was smashing to drive but a small bit lacking in power. Does anyone think the superb is a little overpriced or does it represent good value for money? I'm looking at 2011/2010 car by the way? Would the passat or insignia or avensis hold their value better?

That was in an empty car I presume? Throw a few passengers and luggage in and it will be worse. I'd really consider a 2 litre, even if it meant dropping back a year to do so.

As for residuals, they seem to be in reasonable demand second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

phkk wrote: »
    Does anyone think the superb is a little overpriced or does it represent good value for money?

Depends what you compare it with and what you can buy for the same money - its a matter of opinion really and for that reason its a question that you can answer best because it boils down to what you want from a car. If you needed more power on the test drive then you'll definitely need more power in real life.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bump an old thread but realised i never updated you all..

I ended up buying an 11 1.6 tdi ambition greenline superb and i absolutly love it. I find i have plenty of power in it for the driving i do. I recieve what i believe is great fuel economy (5l/100kms) and visit the pumps a lot less than i used to do.

The interior is a lovely place to be.Heated seats, SD card slot in the front of the touchscreen bluetooth headunit, in built 6 disc changer in the unit also and a USB and AUX port in the centre console. Theres also a skoda umbrella in the rear passanger door. Im 6 foot 2 and when my seat is in my perfect driving position i can still sit behind it with plenty of room.

Only real down side i find is the length of it, i have the parking sensors set to get to withing 5-6 inches from wall behind when reversing into spaces and find that it still sticks out a foot over the space.. Hand fun driving around spanish arch multi story in Galway the weekend, Also because of the factory lowered suspension i find speedbumps in some places a pain to get over with the car rubbing slightly is im carrying a load in the boot.

Advertisement