Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil marriage - any way to shorten 3 mth notice?

• 13-09-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭

Is there any way to shorten the 3.month notice period? I would like to get married in next 2 maths, not fussed about date or time, but this doesn't seem to be possible from what I have read. We are both born & are living in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Nope! Dont think so. Gretna green be an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It is possible, but you have to have a good enough reason to bring an application to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Belfast... two weeks notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement

update... called the circuit court today... have my date to get the exemption. Called the registrar - have a date for the initial apt and the 'wedding' - all within 4 weeks. I was amazed... was expecting lots of red tape and back and forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

update... called the circuit court today... have my date to get the exemption. Called the registrar - have a date for the initial apt and the 'wedding' - all within 4 weeks. I was amazed... was expecting lots of red tape and back and forth.

It would be great if you could post here if you get it, would be useful to others wanting to do them same ting. Good luck!!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Did you have to give one of the exemption reasons listed?

Neyite wrote: »
    Did you have to give one of the exemption reasons listed?

The court registrar didn't ask for a reason over the phone, but I am sure we will have to give the judge a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Under the legislation, to get a dispensation from the 3 months' notice requirement, you need to show that the dispensation is "justified by serious reasons". Because the process for getting dispensations is so informal, there are few or no published judgments which show what reasons the courts tend to accept as "serious". But, yes, you will have to give a reason for short notice, and the reason will have to be one which the judge accepts is "serious".

Because there is so little information on what the practice here is, you will be doing everyone a favour if, after your application, you post your reason and whether the court accepted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

It's been five years but I went to a judge and he didn't ask for a reason. Literally spent two minutes with him.
    Think he asked what date we wanted to get married and where maybe and signed off on it.
    He never found out our reason for short notice.

Also we didn't have to pay the €200 fee either. Not sure if that's still the case but getting a time exemption also save you money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I got married in a registry office in Armagh on a Saturday. 2 weeks notice and very nice. There was a lot less queuing than in the Dublin office.

Advertisement