Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engagement Ring New York

• 15-07-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Planning on popping the question while on holidays in the states. I would like to buy the ring in New York, I've seen some people giving great reviews for a company called Hanikens. The only thing is the reviews are 3+4 yrs old. Is this company still open? Is it still good value to purchase in NYC? Also my budget would be 2k-2.5k max. Will this shop be able to cater for this budget? And what certs should I be asking for? All help and tips welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 1holly1

Hi we got my engagement ring in Hanikens in March. Our budget was the same. Marilyn there was so nice and totally put us at ease straight away. I didn't have a clue what I wanted but she explained everything and helped us pick a style and then the actual diamonds based on our budget. I would say haggle haggle haggle as we got my ring for much less than the first asking price. I still havent had mine valued here which I suppose would really let us know if we got value or not. Mine was GIA certified. We really enjoyed our experience with Hanikens and I hope to get our wedding rings there too. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

ondarack wrote: »
    Planning on popping the question while on holidays in the states. I would like to buy the ring in New York, I've seen some people giving great reviews for a company called Hanikens. The only thing is the reviews are 3+4 yrs old. Is this company still open? Is it still good value to purchase in NYC? Also my budget would be 2k-2.5k max. Will this shop be able to cater for this budget? And what certs should I be asking for? All help and tips welcome.

Search boards.ie and you'll see great (recent) feedback for hanikens, we used them about 2 years ago and they were fantastic so would thoroughly recommend.

You'll get a nice ring for that budget there - you want a GIA certificate. Cut is the most important C, make sure it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 taddles

Just wondering how did you get on in the end? thinking along the same lines myself, any advice,tips greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

taddles wrote: »
    Just wondering how did you get on in the end? thinking along the same lines myself, any advice,tips greatly appreciated

Very good, I ended up buying both an engagement and wedding ring there. Cant remember how much exactly now but I was very pleased with the price,brought home some change:D They seemed to do a better price when paying in cash so my only difficulty was trying to withdraw that kinda money from an atm because there was a daily limit of $200. The only other thing is the shop isnt exactly Tiffanys,its not like a normal jewelers that you walk into. Its more like a market and there is a few different at counters as you walk in but walk past them and Hanikens are at the back. Overall I was very pleased with my purchase and so was my fiance

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

Just pulled out the Gia Certs and receipts.... I got 2 rings for approx 1700 when I was willing to pay 2500 for 1, no wonder I was so happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Very good, I ended up buying both an engagement and wedding ring there. Cant remember how much exactly now but I was very pleased with the price,brought home some change They seemed to do a better price when paying in cash so my only difficulty was trying to withdraw that kinda money from an atm because there was a daily limit of $200. The only other thing is the shop isnt exactly Tiffanys,its not like a normal jewelers that you walk into. Its more like a market and there is a few different at counters as you walk in but walk past them and Hanikens are at the back. Overall I was very pleased with my purchase and so was my fiance

I got mine there 2 years ago, and was delighted. Am now trying to convince OH that he needs to get me an anniversary ring as we are planning to head over sometime next year:D

I dealt with Marilyn, who was lovely.

Advertisement