Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

evening entertainment ideas

• 09-09-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭

I am just throwing this out there, boards always gives great answers. Getting married next July. Neither of us would be big dancers, in fact unless its techno or house..... I really don't like dancing for the most part. he would have more normal tastes but has two left feet! my friends would be the same as me really. Wedding bands generally just make me cringe.

The room we will have for music is quite small and intimate, not really a function room. Any ideas for evening entertainment which aren't the wedding band Galway girl thing? Swing might be cool but not enough room for large band. 3-4piece at most I would say

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

These are meant to be awesome!
    http://www.smashhits.ie/

6 people tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ha they look like fun. �� But wouldn't suit I'm afraid...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We really wanted these guys for our wedding, but they were already booked for our date :(

http://www.theswingcats.ie/

The website says they can scale down too, so 3 or 4 is probably possible.

Faith wrote: »
    We really wanted these guys for our wedding, but they were already booked for our date :(

I just had a look at their site and liked what I saw. Have you seen them play?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Forget the band, get a decent house DJ who knows his stuff. Not your typical (me) wedding DJ, but someone that knows house, can play a bit of commercial, and even if you have some older people there, has the knowledge to play some funky 70s that isn't cheesy!!!!

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »

Nope, I was just impressed enough by their website (and the fact that they explicitly say it's dance-hall swing music, not lounge music pretending to be swing).

Forget the band, get a decent house DJ who knows his stuff. Not your typical (me) wedding DJ, but someone that knows house, can play a bit of commercial, and even if you have some older people there, has the knowledge to play some funky 70s that isn't cheesy!!!!

Hmmm. I know some people that could do this. Just don't know how it would go down with the older members of our large families...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

A friend of a friend who is a wedding DJ seen these lads play a few weeks back and he said they were top-top class..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

jameshayes wrote: »
    A friend of a friend who is a wedding DJ seen these lads play a few weeks back and he said they were top-top class..
    Nope, I was just impressed enough by their website (and the fact that they explicitly say it's dance-hall swing music, not lounge music pretending to be swing).

I just heard the guys on Pat Kenny this morning and they sounded brilliant. You'll have great music at your wedding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hibsman

We had a silent disco after our band at our wedding earlier this Summer. Despite some reservations beforehand as to how it would work for a wedding, we were absolutely thrilled with it. It really got the dancefloor hopping, our guests loved the novelty and are still talking about it months later. What really surprised me was how older guests embraced it. We used silentdisco.ie and the 2 Brian's there were a pleasure to deal with, would highly recommend them.

• Advertisement

Loving the swing cats but reckon they are too big for the room. I'm thinking an excellent DJ might be the answer, but think they are hard to get... they could play swing at the start too.

Silent disco sound like fun, but think id like to have music in the room that can be heard without headphones...

Other ideas still welcome also. Something like a burlesque performer... anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hibsman

Loving the swing cats but reckon they are too big for the room. I'm thinking an excellent DJ might be the answer, but think they are hard to get... they could play swing at the start too.

Silent disco sound like fun, but think id like to have music in the room that can be heard without headphones...

Other ideas still welcome also. Something like a burlesque performer... anything really.

Yes we were a little unsure about the silent disco but it really went down well. If a good DJ who will tailor make the music to suit your style is what you are after, try Andrew at funkyfunctions.com. He sent us on some mixes and he seems to be excellent, sits down with you and plans the music beforehand too. We went with silent disco in the end but it was a close call!

Just to update , I am now between two options. The swing cats, and some friends of mine have a jazz/ big band group (no brass though)and have offered to do it. I have seen them play all sorts of music before but not this kind and wasn't aware they did it. They have played weddings. They are very very talented... I think the swing cats would be more energetic, but obviously they do a lot of gigs so wont have same care that my friends would. But I am slightly concerned my friends would be a little mellow.

The room is smallish and the wedding should be a relaxed enough affair anyway. But I really dont know what to do! Have to make mind up quick!

Check The Swing Cats availability first. They were booked up for our date 18 months in advance.

The swing cats are available, but id want to be quick about putting down deposit if I go with them! Head is wrecked. Really don't know what to do.

I think if you're concerned about your friends, particularly as you haven't seen them play this type of music, then go for The Swing Cats. If you have any concerns now, they're likely to intensify closer to the day and cause stress.

The other thing is, will the friend's band expect to be fed and watered, and essentially be guests at the wedding? That's something to take into account if it's a small wedding.

So, we have decided to hold our decision until we have seen them both in action. Its a lot of money to commit to, and I am confident we can still get a good band if either are booked in meantime. It could actually be that a more mellow sound would suit well, everyone I know hates a very loud band. Will keep ye posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

So, we have decided to hold our decision until we have seen them both in action. Its a lot of money to commit to, and I am confident we can still get a good band if either are booked in meantime. It could actually be that a more mellow sound would suit well, everyone I know hates a very loud band. Will keep ye posted.

Fits check and see of the bands do a fully refundable deposit! Basically a lot of bands will take a booking deposit from you which they will fully refund if you cancel them 3 or 6 months before the date. This way you can book and save your date and still cancel and get your money back if you give the REQUIRED notice. Our band did this and loads of others do aswell. Could be worth asking... That way if u decide you do want then you won't lose them to someone else. I think ou band required the cancelation to be 6 months prior and we would have for our €300 deposit back. Lucky we didn't want to cancel them tho :)

Good to know, thank you!

Advertisement