Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advanced driving

Options
  • 12-05-2014 10:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭

Is there anywhere in Ireland that I can take advanced driving course?

One that teaches both green and eco driving and one that teaches better control of the vehicle.

I think I saw one bu the ISM, but it was very expensive.
    • Is there any others available?
    • Has anyone else done it before?
    • is it worth it?
    • Has it made you a better driver?
    • Saved you fuel?
    • Did you save on the insurance?
    • Any other benefits?? Is it a nice piece for the ladies ?? Hey ladies .. I have my advanced driving license :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is there anywhere in Ireland that I can take advanced driving course?

One that teaches both green and eco driving and one that teaches better control of the vehicle.

I think I saw one bu the ISM, but it was very expensive.
    • Is there any others available?
    • Has anyone else done it before?
    • is it worth it?
    • Has it made you a better driver?
    • Saved you fuel?
    • Did you save on the insurance?
    • Any other benefits?? Is it a nice piece for the ladies ?? Hey ladies .. I have my advanced driving license :P

No idea about the eco stuff, but advanced driving has very little to do with better control of the vehicle. 90% of Advanced driving is what you're doing preceding a potential accident, not the moment of the accident itself. And that takes a serious amount of time to drill into people, usually a whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

At the moment of accident it's too late to do anything.

But having skills to be able to swerve sharply and suddenly without loosing control of vehicle, and being able to recover from any kind of skid, might save you from a lot of accident situations, where for someone else it would be already too late.

Those skills come even more in handy when you drive on slippery surfaces like snow or ice. Therefore afaik recovering from the skid, is part of driving test in some (if not all) Scandinavian countries.
    IMO it should be obligatory everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

CiniO wrote: »
    Therefore afaik recovering from the skid, is part of driving test in some (if not all) Scandinavian countries.
    IMO it should be obligatory everywhere.

Not a single irish person would have a licence then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Start with a Book, Roadcraft is the basis of the Institute of Advanced Motorists training in the UK. It'll take a hell of a lot longer than a day to learn it all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

When I did the course for the motorcycle the two options were the IAM and RoSPA. The advantage of the RoSPA was wider acceptance around the world where the IAM was UK only (at the time anyway)

As already said, advanced driving courses teach not getting into situations rather than escaping from within them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

I used to have to do an annual defensive driving course for my employer in the UK. They instructed two employees at a time over two days and it was exclusively in the car - no class based theory - driving in London, rural, motorway etc. instructors were mainly ex met traffic cops and I have to say I learnt a lot and most of it I still use when driving nowadays. Funnily enough it was new Irish owners that instigated the training for all company car drivers.

Advertisement