Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a good Petrol Station ?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bandara wrote: »
    Hi Jim

Unfortunately it is hard, the cannot work like this as what happens then when person comes in, puts €150 into their car, their credit card is then declined?

We have no way (obviously) of knowing a customers balance, nor can we check a variable amount, the only option is to preauthorise a set amount, and dispense up to this amount with the preauthorisation in place. If the customer only gets €120 then this amount is then charged to the card and the preauthorisation for €150 is released. The issue can be that the banks here drag their heels and may not release the €150 shadow on a customer account for up to 7 working days.

When these pumps where first installed a few years back tens of thousands was lost by people purposing using prepaid credit cards with a euro in credit on them to obtain €100+ of fuel as they knew that by the time the payment was presented they had gotten their fuel and were long gone.

Hence the current system was introduced

Excuse me for being a bit thick, but why then can I walk into any given retail outlet and spend an arbitrary amount on a Mastercard for any item of my choosing, without any (visible to me) pre-authorising malarkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Clean toilets - this is a huge factor but it's obvious that staff can't go in after every customer and clean them for the next. Kildare village has the best toilets I've ever seen in a public place.

Don't overprice - a 250ml can of Red Bull costs almost €3 in a lot of places. There is absolutely no need for this especially considering that I can get a 24 pack of the stuff for €20 in my local cash and carry!

!Nice! Deli food - don't serve food that's been sitting under intense lights and will probably give me food poisoning. I hate nothing more than going to a deli counter and seeing ready-made burgers with the lettuce and other veg in them going all rotten from the heat. Rotten!! Either that or do what one of the southbound stations on the N7 did and partner with Burger King. Great idea IMO.

At the pumps, have the likes of that blue paper at each end. This is good to stuff around your fuel pipe in case any spills out. I always hold until it's brimmed and clicks off. There's only 1 pump where I live that doesn't gush stuff back out at me and I always use it. Also, a +1 for wipes or something like that after using the pumps.

Signage - speaks for itself really. A lot of the time on the likes of the N7 you've passed the stations before you even know where they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

seriously I can go to a restaurant and order 2-300 euro of food without doing a pre auth on a credit card....so why not the same for diesel/petrol? Besides in a normal station you fill up and then go in with your credit card. So you could still have no funds available anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

You pick an amount first though, I want it to be like this:

-insert card
    -fill up till car is full
    -pump shows final amount and then charges card
    is that not the way it is?

You preauthorise the card with a certain max amount, but you only get charged the actual amount you put into the car.

I used the self service great gas at Rosslare and near Dublin airport and thats how it worked, and same at all the ones in France.

seriously I can go to a restaurant and order 2-300 euro of food without doing a pre auth on a credit card....so why not the same for diesel/petrol? Besides in a normal station you fill up and then go in with your credit card. So you could still have no funds available anyway...

I think it's just easier to treat everyone like a potential criminal because of the actions of a few assholes. Well I don't put up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

blackwhite wrote: »
    The US banks allow a credit check without pre-authorisation request.

Data protection laws here mean that a pre-authorisation request is required to do a funds check.

So what's to stop me filling up at a non prepay station knowing my credit card will be declined?

jimgoose wrote: »
    I think it's just easier to treat everyone like a potential criminal because of the actions of a few assholes. Well I don't put up with it.

This is one of the reasons I don't use prepay in its current format.

This is one of the reasons I don't use prepay in its current format.

I've driven a huge, empty Jaguar away from one particular idiot on more than one occasion who refused to switch on the pump until I went into the shop, did the credit-card computer-says-no bullshine, then went back out to fill my fuel, then back in again to do more bullshine. You must be fackin' joking, pal. Late for a meeting already, I was. Of course Chevron since shut down the particular forecourt and let it rot. ;)

I've driven a huge, empty Jaguar away from one particular idiot on more than one occasion who refused to switch on the pump until I went into the shop, did the credit-card computer-says-no bullshine, then went back out to fill my fuel, then back in again to do more bullshine. You must be fackin' joking, pal. Late for a meeting already, I was. Of course Chevron since shut down the particular forecourt and let it rot. ;)

I refuse to use prepay in its current form (or at least, how it is in brennan's in newbridge, the only one local to me).
    I'm the kind of guy that all the sales assistants in the rival garage 100m down the road (mcloughlins) will know me to see - given the amount of time and money I spend in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Excuse me for being a bit thick, but why then can I walk into any given retail outlet and spend an arbitrary amount on a Mastercard for any item of my choosing, without any (visible to me) pre-authorising malarkey?

Because you aren't sitting in a car where you can speed off having stolen €100 worth of goods.

• Advertisement

Because you aren't sitting in a car where you can speed off having stolen €100 worth of goods.

Shove your goods where the Texas Tea comes from. See above posts! :pac::pac::pac:

So what's to stop me filling up at a non prepay station knowing my credit card will be declined?

Because when you walk into the station and the card is declined you will either have to present alternative means of payment, or present some sort of security that you can be tracked down if you do not return to pay.
    Plus, if you try to do a runner there is a person present who can call the gardai immediately - at an unmanned station and/or a 24hr station that is unmanned at night it could take a while before someone is alerted.

Shove your goods where the Texas Tea comes from. See above posts! :pac::pac::pac:

Will be interesting to see if this attitude prevails when/if a large-scale unmanned network was attempted by any of the players in the Irish market.

There's only a handful of unmanned stations in the country, and they are currently 3-4c per litre cheaper than any of the reputable branded competition near them.

Esso have a large unmanned operation in France that is consistently 6-10 cent per litre cheaper than regular petrol stations, and has been for many years.

Why would anyone want to pay more each time they fill up, purely because they might be asked to put their card in the machine and press a button beforehand?

Because when you walk into the station and the card is declined you will either have to present alternative means of payment, or present some sort of security that you can be tracked down if you do not return to pay.
    Plus, if you try to do a runner there is a person present who can call the gardai immediately - at an unmanned station and/or a 24hr station that is unmanned at night it could take a while before someone is alerted.

What happens if you cannot do this?
    Why are there different procedures for fuel than for anything else?
    I can walk into an offlicense and put €150 of drink into my backpack and then (potentially) walk out to my car, for instance. Why is fuel special?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

As this is going off topic is just like to thank everyone for their input, I will be implementing several of the ideas here this week

Thanks again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have not read all the comments yet but for me it would be -

Clean toilets and somewhere to change a baby.
    Food - a nice deli counter or hot food.
    Good customer service
    I know it is a bit old fashioned but the option of pump attendants,I hate leaving the kids in the car to pay for petrol and friends that are disabled drivers find it very stressful not being able to get or pay for petrol.

It depends on whether it is a local garage too or one that people would stop at travelling.
    I live between 2 garages (maxol an esso)and still drive about 3 km to Applegreen for petrol as it is usually cheaper and I just got used to going there,we do a few long journeys with the kids regularly and being able to stop for petrol and food and clean toilets is a relief!

As this is going off topic is just like to thank everyone for their input, I will be implementing several of the ideas here this week

Thanks again

How has it gone off topic?
    You asked for feedback on what people wanted in petrol stations, some wanted prepay, some didn't, and the merits of it were being discussed??

What happens if you cannot do this?
    Why are there different procedures for fuel than for anything else?
    I can walk into an offlicense and put €150 of drink into my backpack and then (potentially) walk out to my car, for instance. Why is fuel special?

Just to clarify - I'm not involved in the running of any petrol stations - I work in finance and have done a fair bit of analysis on retail fuel around Europe.

If you can't/won't pay or provide some form of security, then I'd imagine the guards will be called if you try to leave with the product. Same as if you tried to steal anything from anywhere else.

I'd imagine that fuel is treated differently because:
    1) There is historically a very high instance of drive-offs
    2) Because it's a low margin business (less than 1c per litre net margin in many cases), a theft of €80 of fuel will require sales of at least 80,000 litres to recover.
    3) Because it's much easier to simply hop back into your car and drive off when you are standing beside it, and the fuel is much easier to transport (i.e. you don't have to carry it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

These are what would make me choose one station of the other.....

Ease of access: I like it when there's plenty of room on the forecourt to avoid door dings.
    Clean fuel: got dirty fuel before, will slap the next person who sells me dirty fuel.
    Pumps that are maintained: hate it when I grab the pump and it's covered in fuel, I don't want to drive my car when I got Diesel all over my hands.
    Air /water: I like to stay on top of my wheel pressure.

These on the other hand, don't really bother me.

Facilities (what do you want/expect?)
    Customer service
    Bathroom facilities
    Good Deli
    Quality Coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Hi Bandara,

Just to ask, what ideas are you going to implement ?

Would be great to see them in action (with ofcourse a business boost towards yourself !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

These are what would make me choose one station over the other.....

Ease of access: I like it when there's plenty of room on the forecourt to avoid door dings.
    Clean fuel: got dirty fuel before, will slap the next person who sells me dirty fuel.
    Pumps that are maintained: hate it when I grab the pump and it's covered in fuel, I don't want to drive my car when I got Diesel all over my hands.
    Air /water: I like to stay on top of my wheel pressure.

These on the other hand, don't really bother me.

Facilities (what do you want/expect?)
    Customer service
    Bathroom facilities
    Good Deli
    Quality Coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Good CLEAN toilets
    Not the outside type that are never cleaned .

Thanks again

Apologies - I should really have giving what, as a customer, will make me return to a station.

Clean, well maintained forecourt
    Reputable brand
    Speed of transaction (both speed of payment, and also the speed of the pumps dispensing the fuel)

I have a fuel card paid for by work, so accepting fuel cards is always going to be a Yes/No issue for me. If I was paying for my own fuel then price would be up there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Would absolutely love a petrol station where you weren't looked at like you had two heads if you ask for a headlight/indicator bulb!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Gloves and pay at pump facilities.

Hookers and cocaine also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

A huge amount of stations have tyre pumps which are out of order. Am currently considering to buy my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

A good service area with working air pumps and water supplies. It would also be nice if they had some more room to park cars since you always get those people who park their car right at the service area and go to buy food, extremely annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's strange but I never buy anything other than fuel at a filling station.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

For me:

Good price for fuel,
    Good service area, with free air, water (don't care about vacuum etc)
    Bucket and squeegee thingy at every pump so I can clean my windscreen/lights
    Section in the shop where I can buy a brake light bulb, screen wash, litre of oil etc.
    Usual convenience items in shop..
    That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

gloves for the diesel pumps!, also pumps that stop when your car is full unlike the last time I filled up when it overflowed on the side of the car and rear tyre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Cheap petrol i dont about anything its all that really matters i would think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Pat Custard

Cheap (or reasonably-priced) fuel.
    Good deli.
    Not too expensive sweets / snacks / drinks.
    Friendly and polite staff (please and thank you etc).
    They issue VAT receipts by default and you don't have to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

ATM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Honestly, i like being able to pay by card at the pump. Sometimes its just fuel i want. If the pump printed a receipt for a free coffee, i would go to the garage and use it. I would buy other stuff too, so as not to feel like a cheap skate.

Air and water are next. The apple green in baldoyle is great because you programme the pressure and it pressurises your tyres when you connect the nozzle to the valve. Maybe i am fantasising, but i like convenience. A shot of concentrated windscreen cleaner for €1 in a vending machine, or built into the water machine would be dead handy :D

Decent parking if there is a cafe. A cafe is always good, but it needs good coffee and friendly staff, ideally with seating out of the way so other customers aren't trailing a fart when they pass by you to pay for their sausage roll and diesel. Fresh food is important. Nothing worse than a deli serving rock hard wedges and a chicken fillet that can cut diamonds.

ATM IS A MUST. Cash-back is alternative.

Clean toilets. Ideally 2, so nobody is banging on the door if you're having a sit down job.

An area that sells car goodies, with special offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In no particular order

Petrol stations that have spaces for people to park in if they are not getting petrol, but just need to go inside to get food, directions etc etc. Really, really annoying to have to wait behind a car, whose owner is not even buying petrol.

Have enough room to go around a car that is parked in front of you, but whose owner is inside telling the deli clerk their entire life story.

Not be overly fussy about having specific entry and exit driveways. If you force me to enter your petrol station from just one direction, you automatically make 50% of the pumps worthless to me, unless I feel like reversing in and out. Which I never do.

Someone in the forecourt to offer windscreen wash, tire check, pump the fuel for you etc etc. I get that they want you to go inside and spend more cash. But in the US, they have petrol stations that have full service bays. They charge a couple of cents more per gallon for the petrol, but you get more bang for your buck. Mega handy if it is cold, raining & you don't want to get out of your car, or you have kids etc etc

Staff who are local and know the area. Always good to have when looking for directions.

A cash desk that is not overly cluttered with crap that you want me to buy. Nothing more annoying not to have somewhere to rest your handbag/purchases, without knocking over displays of lollypops or whatever.

Windows that you can see out of and are not blocked by sales racks. It is handy to look out and get the number of your pump, if you forget to note it on the way in. It is also good for keeping an eye on your car, if the station is in a dodgy area & you left your phone/iPad/sat nav plugged in, while you get your petrol.

Mini solid fuel depot. It's dead handy to pick up some turf briquettes or those wood kindling thingys, without having to go to hardware shop/Woodys etc etc

Advertisement