Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number Plates Stolen

Options
  • 12-05-2014 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Minor annoyance, not expensive to get replaced, but just wondering if there's anything I'm not thinking of?

I've reported it to the Gardai, and let eFlow know just as a heads up in case I'm disputing any toll bills sent my way - anything else I should be doing that's slipping my mind?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Look for your make/model/colour in the classifieds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yeah, go over the tollbridge several hundred times and claim it wasn't you! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I replaced a reg plate on sons car for 12.50 euro
    walked in told them reg number 5 mins later walked out with it under my arm.

If someone was cloning a car be much easier to buy than steal reg plates and tipping off lelegitimate owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

visual wrote: »
    I replaced a reg plate on sons car for 12.50 euro
    walked in told them reg number 5 mins later walked out with it under my arm.

If someone was cloning a car be much easier to buy than steal reg plates and tipping off lelegitimate owner.

That was my first thought also. Seems a lot of effort and risk for the sake of saving €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Minor annoyance, not expensive to get replaced, but just wondering if there's anything I'm not thinking of?

I've reported it to the Gardai, and let eFlow know just as a heads up in case I'm disputing any toll bills sent my way - anything else I should be doing that's slipping my mind?

Thanks,

They are probably being used in drive off's at petrol stations currently. If they have been used for drive-off's you'll need to call into the Garda station in person and report it etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Thanks for the advice. I figured it was being used for either a getaway car, petrol station driveoffs or toll avoidance. Scum :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What they should do in such case, is to provide you with new reg number, so any illegal use of you old numbers couldn't be anyhow linked to you once you reported theft on them, and applied for new registration number.

But unfortunately no such possibility exist in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Check to make sure your Tax insurance & NCT are still in the windscreen.

Does seem like a rather stupid exercise steeling just the plates when they could be bought and nobody would be on the look out for a clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

CiniO wrote: »
    What they should do in such case, is to provide you with new reg number, so any illegal use of you old numbers couldn't be anyhow linked to you once you reported theft on them, and applied for new registration number.

That wouldn't be very good though as anyone could just change their registration plate whenever they like.

Pov06 wrote: »
    That wouldn't be very good though as anyone could just change their registration plate whenever they like.

And what's that bad about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Difficult to track a cars history for HPI checks when buying one

Difficult to track a cars history for HPI checks when buying one

All vehicle data providers could easily keep all history of car's reg numbers.
    I can't see any issue in here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just as a thought outside the box, it could also be some teens decorating their bedroom walls or building a collection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Pat Custard

Of course not :rollseyes: this is Ireland :P
    Pov06 wrote: »

Yeah, crime would flourish. It should be an option, but you should need a Gard a letter to do it.
    And what's that bad about it?

See above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

They need to restrict who prints plates in the 1st place...not some random auto dealers

Advertisement