Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time car insurance

• 07-05-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

ok lads heres my problem, im 18 on a provisional, have a 1.4 golf 1998 and every insurance quote i get is over 3 grand. i have my lessons done but id like some experience on the road before i go for full, anybody know any cheap insurance companys that would do it for less than 2 grand? thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

There's no way for anyone to know that, you'll just have to ring everyone, have you tried a broker???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Insurance is not bought from a fixed price menu. There are so many factors involved that depends on the individual, location, not to mind the different way each insurance company rate these things. One insurance company could be dirt cheap for me but overly expensive for you and vice versa.

The best thing to do is start ringing around various insurance companies and brokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

not a chance, I am in the same position as you
    ableit I don't have the lessons done yet
    but every insurance quote I get has been over 3-3.5 grand
    how do they expect young people to learn how to drive is beyond me :L that kinda money is crazy specially for you considering your only 18

I think you can get insurance through your da's insurance it might be cheaper
    I know you can in the uk but not sure if you can here
    Your best of just biting the bullet and doing the full drivers test if I'm honest
    no point spending that much on insurance if it will be a little cheaper if you do the drivers test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You're a high risk driver(or at least perceived to be) driving a car that's on insurance companies blacklists.(VWs, Civics etc are going to be costly to insure)

Forget about getting insurance for any less then 3k for quite sometime.

Better off with a 1.0-1.2 for a year or two and your premium drops.

No broker will do less then 3k unfortunately. It is what it is.

Don't try and work around it either, insurance companies are trained to spot fronting and they don't take kindly to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    how do they expect young people to learn how to drive is beyond me :L that kinda money is crazy specially for you considering your only 18
    That's been a complaint for generations now. And will be for generations to come. It's just the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Try it for a car that isn't a Golf and see how you get on.

And do your test. A full license will help a lot.

suck it up and pay,
    thats what we all did.
    mine was 3500 3rd party on a 98 corsa ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Thats what you'll pay for any car starting out. You won't get it for 2k short of getting someone experienced to insure it and you going named.

Just the way it is unfortunately.

Young lad I know was quoted €3505 on his own, then €1496 with me being the named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shanelad95

what type of car was that ybfocus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

An Astra, 1.4. So a golf will be worse I'd reckon.

Short of a civic your in the next worst possible car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of insurance loading on Golfs, Boras, Passats, etc at the moment due to their popularity with the current younger crop of drivers who like to modify them. The likes of an Astra or Focus doesn't seem to get the same attention from insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 g.a.b.e.

Is insurance really that bad now? Jeez my first insurance was only €1715 on a 1.4 Polo back 5 years ago. And my second year, still on a provisional, was only €950 on a 1.2 Clio.

Both times I was insured with Asgard which is only available through a broker.

I always make sure to get the best deal. This year I rang 23 different companies/brokers and even done a driving assessment to get the best price. It's tough being under 25 living in an area with a bad rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,my advice to you is to apply for your test straight away.You will be waiting a few months anyway and the minute you get your license your insurance will come down a massive amount.

I knew a few lads driving around for years wasting serious money on insurance because they were afraid to do their tests.Complete madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Dug up some insurance papers from 2006 - €2,900 on a ' 90 Toyota Starlet...

Thank God time flies by :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

If you want cheap insurance have a look at http://boxymo.ie

They install a tracker into your car but you do get cheaper insurance, it should be fine to build up a 1 year NCB or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Regardless of the type of vehicle, the 1998 is not doing you any favours either. Anything over 12 years cuts out a lot of insurers

Advertisement