Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A review of my first Ishibashi purchase

Options
  • 09-02-2005 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Here a review of sorts of my new Strat from Ishibashi, I don’t know it may be useful to anyone thinking of getting one these Jap Fenders that keep getting mentioned on this board. First off, Koichi the international sales guy from Ishibashi was very helpful, he translated some of the descriptions of stuff in their U-Box and answered any questions I had regarding the condition, spec and that kind of stuff. The entire transaction was done by email and was quick and efficient. The one I bought is supposedly an ex-demo model, which meant I saved a couple of quid, however it’s mint and came in it original packing. Out of the box it appears to be set up ok. It’s a CIJ Fender '54 Reissue Stratocaster, I think the exact model is ST54-80AM. Anyway it’s got an ash body with two-tone burst and a really nice grain and finish, apparently it’s a two-piece body but I really can’t see a joint. I have yet to open it up however I understand that the pickup cavities are individually routed also. It’s fitted with a single ply 8 screw pick guard, USA made fat 50's custom shop pickups, vintage style bridge with steel block, and 5 way switch, which strictly speaking is not authentic but good for sound flexibility. I think the shielding is inadequate for these pickups but that’s easily fixed. I’ll fully shield it and improve the grounding when I have time and that should quieten it down. The neck is a chunky 21-fret one-piece maple neck with a soft V shape and vintage style logo, it’s fitted with a round string tree and vintage style tuners. This neck feels very different to a typical Strat neck and takes a bit of getting used to largely due to the fact it has particularly small frets. The overall build quality and finish is excellent and easily compares with US fenders, which I think is amazing when you consider the price difference between the two, this one was about €650 including Vat, duty and shipping. I think it’s got a really nice vintage vibe and tone but that neck will take a bit of getting used to. I’d really recommend anyone considering getting a Fender to consider these Jap ones, they really are top notch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Nice one. Gave my 62 RI fretless Jazz a good run out last night with the blues lads, has a very satisfying growl to it (and I brought the Ric for comparisons) :D

Damn shame that factory is closing, they're doing some wonderful things there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

Yeah I know, it really is a pitty. You can see why they don't export them though, they would decimate mex Fender sales. Btw I think Ishibashi have extended their range of Jap fenders, I looks like their mostly variations on spec and finish but still.

whats Koichi's e-mail address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

It's just the normal email address: web-shop@ishibashi.co.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

cool man, i'll be pickin up a jap bass in the coming months so i'll have a gander at this place and see what i can get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Yeah, have to vouch for Ishibashi here, I bought a fender mustang bass from them last year and they were excellent, very helpful/friendly sales people and I got a very good price including delivery/VAT.

Our guitarist bought a very cool Jag (with les paul pickups) but had to pay some VAT when the delivery guy came, I think he was stung for around €80, but still ended up with a bargain. So just take that into consideration on top of your purchase.

Advertisement