Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning drums and irish drum academy

Options
  • 04-02-2005 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

i would love to learn how to play the drums but i dont know that much about drumming really. i was wondering if anyone goes to the irish drum academy and knows if it is any good, because i looked on their website and they do a beginners course, i was wondering whether it would be worth it or not and if its any good??

the main thing that i was wondering was if drums were quite easy to learn because i currently play the flute but thats getin a bit boring and i fancied a change, something more fun and exciting to play. ive been musical most of my life and know quite alot about music in general, would that help me learn quicker? are there any drummers who would recommend the i.d.a for lessons and would i be able to pick up the basics in a 12 week course (1 hour lessons)???

hope someone can answer a few of my queries because ive only just moved to ireland and dont know that many people who could recommend anywhere to me. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Burke

i've been doing music for the last 13 years and decided to pick up drums one day(about a year ago). i learned quite quick coz i was determined to. just buy a cheap set and bang away. learn simple grooves and progress. that's just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

yeah a lot of people just buy their kit and try to play along with cds
    i just got mine, and got a lend of a starters book, and learned the simple rhythms using the book
    getting proper lessons would be good if ya have a place to practice everything ya learn in the lessons, you'll be able able to learn all the rudiments etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

nothin it easy to learn if you want to play well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I get lessons in the IDA, highly recommended.
    Get a metronome and ask them how to use it to develop good time.
    They'll recommend good starter books from which you should be able to build up a strong vocabulary of beats/fills.

In 12 weeks you should be able to learn a great deal, if you're willing to put in the required effort.

Make sure you have somewhere you can practice every day for a reasonable length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

How would the IDA cater for non beginners. Playing a few years and hit a bit of a mental block. Never got lesson (which i regret now).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

SpunkMunkey,
    ...why you at a bit of a mental blcok now?...whats stuff you listening to??...you probably need to listen to some great drummers and maybe add a little to yer kit to spice it up again , lessons are great but for me they add no excitement just better understanding.

ciao' amigo...Baggio.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

It's probably not a coincidence that all the crap drummers I know don't take lessons. Lessons will not gaurantee you skills but with effort you can gain a vast vocabulary on the drumset relatively quickly.
    A teacher can help you at your level rather than you sitting at home scratchin' wondering how in the fook you're supposed to play song X your listening to on your cd player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Magic bus,
    ...I agree and disagree many great drummers did and do have lessons, and they were invaluable to them, some of us havent. Ive recently started getting lessons after 23 years of never getting them. I'm not getting lessons to improve my skills or time keeping, apart from learning the snare drum military style double stroak rolls on the snare, my main reason is to be able to read drumming patterns in music. The guy teaching me is yung enough but he's a good lad and knows his stuff.
    But we discussed how the whole music drum written thing actually looks, and we agreed unless as you say you have a good teacher or in my case are lucky enough to be passionate about learning what drummers are doing in this part of a song or that part, and understand WHAT they are using for this/that sound....well reading and sometime lessons themselves can leave your playing style veryy rigid and not allow you to feeel the music and feel the rythm.
    That may sound daft to some folks, but I ve found more and more lately that Im veryy much a feel drummer,,and play that way,,often putting in footwork to songs and some hand work that wasnt there originally but feels right, even tho its not quite shall we say mathematically correct it actually fits well and SOUNDS/FEELS correct..know what I mean?
    Anyway lessons are a good thing overall,,but dont be mistaken many great drummers never had them..it all depends in my humble opinion on whether you can hear and feel whats happening and transfer that to a kit...if not lessons will be a huge help.

ciao' amigo...Baggio....

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Baggio
    "...why you at a bit of a mental blcok now?...whats stuff you listening to??...you probably need to listen to some great drummers and maybe add a little to yer kit to spice it up again , lessons are great but for me they add no excitement just better understanding."

When i say mental block i ust keep playing the same old beats. I have loads in my head but the body wont listen!! I know that i need to practise and get the chop and legs going and that this will help with creativity in that i can play whats in my head!!
    I listen mainly to rock and metal but am open to everything. WRT great drummers im only discovering them know, the likes of mike portnoy, steve smith, steve gadd. Never knew about any of these guys 6 months ago.They (and others) are definately exposing me to knew stuff!!
    WRT the lessons Id like some help on a few aspects of my drumming. Just some little things explained and shown to me.
    Did a few lessons a few years back and found them very helpful.

Advertisement