Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google recent account activity misreporting IPv6 addresses?

• 02-09-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Can't really find a better forum for this, please move if appropriate.

Noticed some odd activity on my Gmail account yesterday, which *could* have been down to my leaving my phone unlocked in my pocket.

To be on the safe side, checked the Gmail recent account activity page.

It showed that I'd logged in from Austria an hour beforehand, while I was at work, and also the previous day. Cue panic.

Did a quick lookup of the IP address but it was IPv6 and the site I used couldn't handle it. Was too busy changing passwords and checking my sent/deleted emails for suspicious mails to worry about it any further.

After a while happened to tab back into the recent IP list and noticed that one of the Austrian IPs was starred as being my current session. Quick visit to whatismyip confirmed that was in fact my current IP, located in Dublin, registered to UPC. As were the other "Austrian" IPs listed.

Tired a couple of other IP checking services and they all reported the same thing, all the IPs were Dublin-based, registered to UPC.

So Google was completely wrong.
    Just wondering if it was a weird one-off glitch, or if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

MOH wrote: »
    So Google was completely wrong.
    Just wondering if it was a weird one-off glitch, or if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

It's a common issue i've come across quite a bit actually with IPv4. Because UPC is a part of a larger parents company they often shuffle IP address blocks around various countries as the need arises. Indeed many companies do and buy and sell address blocks

Chances are googles database may be slightly out of date with its source so its pointing to the wrong owner/location. Poland is another big offender that I've seen alot with UPC ip's.

Strange however to be happening with IPv6, only ever seen that behaviour on IPv4. Never seen an IPv6 address used in the recent history - maybe its finally starting to gain traction!

UPC have a range of IPv4 addresses, starting with 80.111, which used to be used by UPC Austria. They also have another range which was used by UPC Poland. Some websites still seem to report these addresses as being from their previous locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Loosely related; two factor auth would have helped here. I use it for every web based service I can (FreeOTP). Puts your mind at ease a little for things like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Hi,
    I've seen sign ins from new devices on my gmail, an MN8 phone and an iPad, none of which i own or use. The same IP address goes to Ashbourne Co.Meath. Changed my password but should i be concerned?

I know the MN8 device i think.Still cant explain the iPad

Advertisement