Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N22 - Tralee Bypass (under construction)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

anyone who wnat more info on tralee bypass can go to the other tralee bypass thread. the n69 n22 n70 tralee bypass boards. lots of phots and info on that thread
    and here's a link to that thread:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is surely open immenently? Was down there at weekend and looks all but ready. Signage up and everything, impressive looking project to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

road_high wrote: »
    This is surely open immenently? Was down there at weekend and looks all but ready. Signage up and everything, impressive looking project to be fair.

Yes I think its due to open on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tralee bypass is officially opening this Friday to coincide with the start of the Rose of Tralee festival.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/tralee-bypass-opens-on-friday/

A fantastic, indepth and image filled thread has been on the go in the Region/Kerry forum here on Boards.ie for the last 3 years that gives more information on the entire project up to now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056063250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

ongarboy wrote: »
    A fantastic, indepth and image filled thread has been on the go in the Region/Kerry forum here on Boards.ie for the last 3 years that gives more information on the entire project up to now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056063250

I posted the link 3 posts earlier (just scroll up) , in March 2012

dmeehan wrote: »
    I posted the link 3 posts earlier (just scroll up) , in March 2012

Sorry, didn't see that post. Thanks for pointing it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Signage was up a few weeks back always a sign that the scheme is nearing completion.

I'd be surprised if this passed 10000 AADT when opened on the actual bypass arc. Obviously the best part of the scheme is that Kilarney traffic won't need to use the N21 to access Tralee. This in turn reducing the high AADT at ballyseedy which was originally planned to be a dual carriageway but issues with the wooded area prevented it from being built instead a WS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Just on the news there its opened.

Up on OpenStreetMap as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

From the Irish Times:
    The Tralee bypass, one of the few major national road projects to be undertaken since the economic downturn, opened today to coincide with the annual Rose of Tralee festival. It is the biggest individual road project undertaken in Co Kerry in recent years.

Costing €97.3 million, the 30km of the N22/N69 road required 225 acres of land belonging to 78 landowners.

It connects four of the five national routes – the N21, N22, N69, and N70 – that terminate in Tralee and will take a quarter of the town’s car traffic as well as cutting journey times.

In 2007 there was €1.75 billion available nationally for road-building but by 2011 this had dropped to €320 million. Tralee got €97 million of this...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/tralee-bypass-officially-opened-during-rose-festival-1.1496632

I'm not sure if building the Traleee bypass was the wisest use of 30% of the total road-building budget for 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

.........I'm not sure if building the Traleee bypass was the wisest use of 30% of the total road-building budget for 2011.

Certainty is the enemy of progress - you are going places for sure :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

From the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/tralee-bypass-officially-opened-during-rose-festival-1.1496632

I'm not sure if building the Traleee bypass was the wisest use of 30% of the total road-building budget for 2011.

Poorly researched article. The roads budget for 2011 was €1.2b which had €720m set aside for road building. Plus the contractor would have been paid over the course of the contract. They wouldn't have gotten €97m up front. http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=266

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Poorly researched article. The roads budget for 2011 was €1.2b which had €720m set aside for road building. Plus the contractor would have been paid over the course of the contract. They wouldn't have gotten €97m up front. http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=266

Even then the total cost is budgeted over 20-30 years, so it's going to be on the budget as a 3m-4m expense for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

This is probably a stupid question and may have been answered before, but I'm going to ask it anyway. The new road links 5 of the 6 national routes around Tralee. What's the 6th? Is it the Dingle Road? and why isn't it linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

sonnyblack wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question and may have been answered before, but I'm going to ask it anyway. The new road links 5 of the 6 national routes around Tralee. What's the 6th? Is it the Dingle Road? and why isn't it linked.

Lack of demand i guess? Although you could say the same about the bypass itself when compared with higher priority routes (cough Adare jammed on opening day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lack of demand i guess? Although you could say the same about the bypass itself when compared with higher priority routes (cough Adare jammed on opening day)

Totally agree. While Tralee is a necessary and useful scheme but lord adare and newcastleswest bypssses would have been money far better spent for the moment. And dare I say more beneficial for access to Kerry itself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

road_high wrote: »
    Totally agree. While Tralee is a necessary and useful scheme but lord adare and newcastleswest bypssses would have been money far better spent for the moment. And dare I say more beneficial for access to Kerry itself.

Macroom Ballyvourney bypasses and Dual Carriageway from the South Ring Road at Ballincollig to Ballvourney county bounds scheme should have been the most important schemes from a National point of view, afterwards the Adare - Newcastlewest bypasses and then a new Farranfore to Killarney road. The Tralee bypass was about gombeenism, the Healy Raes and using it to gain votes (in a new 5 seater Kerry constituency) and was not about forward thinking or providing access into the County which it so badly needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Tralee bypass was practically built to guarantee Healy-Rae etc votes in the Coalition. Outrageous bit of corruption and vote buying but there we go. It'll benefit Tralee massively but of course there are innumerable projects that are more important.

Incidentally when this one was starting Adare wasn't (and still isn't) through the planning process.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Incidentally when this one was starting Adare wasn't (and still isn't) through the planning process.

That's down to the idiotic decision by LCC to throw out the original 2005 stand alone northern bypass route in favour of starting from scratch in 2009 with a southern bypass that relied on the M20 to be built, which was rejected by ABP because the M20 isn't going to be built any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Folks, I'm sure this has loong since been answered but one quick question:
    Why does it extend so far North? (i.e. why doesn't it end at the Dromthacker Road/Tralee IT?). It seems to be twice as long as it would have been if it had ended there, for, based on my limited Tralee experience, a saving of 2-3 minutes? I understand the principle of an orbital road, and keeping it high quality and 100km/h, but that's quite a significant addition when road budgets are so tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I sent them a note about the ByPass.

I wonder how they managed to do that so quickly?

Somebody take a snap on the Are Arann light?

Dear Thomas,

You recently submitted a TomTom map change through Map Share Reporter. And here’s the good news: we’re adding it to our next map release!

Thanks for taking the time to report the correction. People like you help drivers throughout the TomTom community enjoy even better navigation.

Of course, roads are changing all the time. So if you see anything else on your map that needs to be changed, do tell us. You know it can make a real difference!

All the best,
    The TomTom team

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    Folks, I'm sure this has loong since been answered but one quick question:
    Why does it extend so far North? (i.e. why doesn't it end at the Dromthacker Road/Tralee IT?). It seems to be twice as long as it would have been if it had ended there, for, based on my limited Tralee experience, a saving of 2-3 minutes? I understand the principle of an orbital road, and keeping it high quality and 100km/h, but that's quite a significant addition when road budgets are so tight!

Having it end at the second last junction at Dromtacker would have fed traffic into built up areas around the Tralee IT, Kerry Technological Park and residential neighbourhoods therefore defeating the benefit of being a bypass. The reason it stretches so far north is that there is a large tract of residential houses - Alderwood Road - that would have to be demolished to enable the road to meet the existing N69 Listowel Road much closer to Tralee. As this would have been unfeasible, the road is built around and north of that area to avoid Alderwood Road. (google map it to understand the geography of that road and why the bypass has to skirt around it)

As someone of Tralee origin, while I welcome the bypass for Tralee and Kerry, I also agree the money could have been better spent on bigger priority projects such as the Adare bypass. Yet again, I was stuck in Adare for 30 minutes last Saturday lunchtime. This has to be one of the worst 3 bottlenecks in the country currently if not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 civil engineer kerry

HI there iam try view you picture of tralee bypass i cant look them as it says photobucket can you help. Thanks

Advertisement