Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Bike auction today @ 5.30pm

Options
  • 03-04-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Might be good for someone like myself who wants to get a bike for the summer without spending hundreds. It's on today at 5.30pm on the Naas Road, there are a few bit of jewellery for auction too. Auction has no reserves on the bikes so there should be a few bargains about
    http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/liquidation-disposals-search-results/659

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 rachnkarl

Hi have you any idea what the average price is that bikes go fro at these auctions.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Not sure it's in your best interests to tell others about bargains at an auction. Just encouraging a bigger crowd to turn up and bid Against you :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Will it be recorded? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rachnkarl wrote: »
    Hi have you any idea what the average price is that bikes go fro at these auctions.
    thanks

I asked the girl on the phone and she said its a mixed bag. There are some bargains but some high end bikes still got for hundreds of euro.

Not sure it's in your best interests to tell others about bargains at an auction. Just encouraging a bigger crowd to turn up and bid Against you :-D

I had thought of staying schtum about the auction but I'm only going to bid if I see something I really like. These Garda Bike auctions are only held a few times of the year and I kept missing them by a few days over the last few years so just wanted to let others know who are in the same boat. There's plenty of bargain bikes on Adverts in any case if I miss out today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Might be good for someone like myself who wants to get a bike for the summer without spending hundreds. It's on today at 5.30pm on the Naas Road, there are a few bit of jewellery for auction too. Auction has no reserves on the bikes so there should be a few bargains about
    http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/liquidation-disposals-search-results/659

Wilson's seem to request deposit of €100 (debit card or bank draft) in order to bid. Any chance they'd accept cash? Has anyone been who could advise?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Wilson's seem to request deposit of €100 (debit card or bank draft) in order to bid. Any chance they'd accept cash? Has anyone been who could advise?
    500 euro for their car auctions . and them auctions do be full of traders and dealers who purposely push up the price to prevent average joe from actually getting a good deal . :(

handandy wrote: »
    500 euro for their car auctions . and them auctions do be full of traders and dealers who purposely push up the price to prevent average joe from actually getting a good deal . :(

Often wondered about car auctions. Can you bring a mechanic to give it the once over ? I don't suppose you can actually test drive it before bidding

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Give them a ring, if it means a sale Id be surprised if they refuse cash, especially on low value items like bicycles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

these have been discussed on the Cycling forum in the past - consensus seems to be that 90% of the stock is rubbish, and the 10% that is decent sells for way over the odds as bidders get over-excited.

However YMMV, and maybe I'm just posting this to put people off and grab all the bargains for myself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

handandy wrote: »

Its generally Joe Public that pushes the prices up due to getting over-excited - dealers aren't going to get involved and risk having to buy at the hammer price if its inflated.

Anyone go to this today ? I never made it in the end myself, had to get some painting finished and it took way longer than I thought, typical bad planning ! Hope someone picked up something they like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone go to this today ? I never made it in the end myself, had to get some painting finished and it took way longer than I thought, typical bad planning ! Hope someone picked up something they like

I need to get some painting finished, if you feel the need to put other things on hold. I'll even supply the overalls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭3mm

majority looked very poor quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The bikes are what is recovered stolen property or lost by people. Obviously the better bikes are going to be reclaimed.

Although I got a great bike in the auction for only €60 a few years ago. It was near perfect condition. My brother has the slightly better version of the bike and it cost him €300 in Halfords. But honestly only a few bikes per auction are decent

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Shame they're weren't any gates going, Trinity might have gotten a sweet deal.

Reminds me instantly of this:

realtybites5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Be careful with these auctions, bought a bike before at one of these auctions and after a month the front wheel went flat:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Snowc wrote: »
    Be careful with these auctions, bought a bike before at one of these auctions and after a month the front wheel went flat:mad:

The bike must have been written off after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Caveat Emptor, dude, Caveat Emptor! Should have brought a bike mechanic with you to give it the once-over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I once had a bike get dirty after just 2 days. Shocking!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I once had a bike get dirty after just 2 days. Shocking!

Things are getting messy. This thread should be closed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Caveat Emptor, dude, Caveat Emptor! Should have brought a bike mechanic with you to give it the once-over!

Absolutely. Make sure they check that the bell is working also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Absolutely. Make sure they check that the bell is working also

Do auction premises have to have bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

You could recycle it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lois Griffin: Peter, I saw a really good deal on a used car in this newspaper.
    Peter Griffin: Oh no. I knew a guy who bought a used car through a newspaper. Ten years later, BAM! Herpes.

Advertisement