Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centered content with a scroll bar when it reached max width

Options
  • 22-03-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm having an issue trying to achieve a certain functionality.

Basically I am trying to center align some content, 2 different section in the same row, one is a fixed width, the other could be any width.

The one that is any width should have a scroll bar if it goes over the size of the page.

I probably explained this terribly so hopefully screenshots will help!

At the moment the approach I am using is using tables, but I am open to doing whatever works!

This is how it should look when the content doesn't overflow:

h3pagrl.png

And this is how it should look when the content does overflow:

qnzhE2U.png

But the problem I have is that the scroll bar doesn't show up unless I set a CSS width on the table, so I gave it one of 100%

But the cards are not center aligned anymore if the content doesn't overflow (as the table is being told to take up 100% width so there is no margins)

8v34Qlt.png

And this is how the overflow'd content looks without the width on the table:

wShxthX.png

Does anyone know how I could achieve the functionality I'm looking for?

Here is the code I have at the moment

it uses bootstrap etc, if you need the the headers or whatever I can provide them.
    <div id="judgeVote" class="show">
       <div class="container" style="text-align:center;">
          <form>
             <table style="
                width: 100%;
                table-layout: fixed;
                /* float: center; */
                /* text-align: center; */
                margin: 0px auto;
                ">
                <tbody>
                   <tr>
                      <td style="
                         width: 20%;
                         ">
                         <div class="blackCard">
                            <p name="blackCardText">In his newest and most difficult stunt, David Blaine must escape from ____.</p>
                         </div>
                      </td>
                      <td style="max-width:80%;text-align:left;overflow: auto;">
                         <div id="whiteCardContainer" class="whiteCardContainer">
                            <div id="winningWhiteCard317" name="judgesWhiteCard" class="whiteCard noBorder whiteCardInline" onclick="clicker(&quot;winningWhiteCardInput317&quot;)">
                               <div class="ui-radio"><input id="winningWhiteCardInput317" type="radio" name="chosenCard" value="317" onclick="winningWhiteCardPicker(&quot;317&quot;)"></div>
                               <p id="winningWhiteCardPara317">Jerking off into a pool of children's tears.</p>
                            </div>
                            <div id="winningWhiteCard120" name="judgesWhiteCard" class="whiteCard noBorder whiteCardInline" onclick="clicker(&quot;winningWhiteCardInput120&quot;)">
                               <div class="ui-radio"><input id="winningWhiteCardInput120" type="radio" name="chosenCard" value="120" onclick="winningWhiteCardPicker(&quot;120&quot;)"></div>
                               <p id="winningWhiteCardPara120">An icepick lobotomy.</p>
                            </div>
                            <div id="winningWhiteCard317" name="judgesWhiteCard" class="whiteCard noBorder whiteCardInline" onclick="clicker(&quot;winningWhiteCardInput317&quot;)">
                               <div class="ui-radio"><input id="winningWhiteCardInput317" type="radio" name="chosenCard" value="317" onclick="winningWhiteCardPicker(&quot;317&quot;)"></div>
                               <p id="winningWhiteCardPara317">Jerking off into a pool of children's tears.</p>
                            </div>
                            <div id="winningWhiteCard120" name="judgesWhiteCard" class="whiteCard noBorder whiteCardInline" onclick="clicker(&quot;winningWhiteCardInput120&quot;)">
                               <div class="ui-radio"><input id="winningWhiteCardInput120" type="radio" name="chosenCard" value="120" onclick="winningWhiteCardPicker(&quot;120&quot;)"></div>
                            </div>
                            </div>
                            </div>
                            </div>
                            </div>
                         </div>
                      </td>
                   </tr>
                </tbody>
             </table>
          </form>
          <button type="button" id="judgeChooseButton" class="hide" onclick="javascript:next();">Show All</button>
          <button type="button" id="startButton" class="btn btn-default btn-lg disabled buttonDisable" onclick="javascript:castVote();">
          Vote!
          </button>
          <h3 id="JudgeScreenMessage" class="bg-success">
             Select the card you found the funniest click Vote.
          </h3>
       </div>
    </div>

EDIT: I know in the code there is items with overlapping Ids, its just something I was playing around with in chrome to test more cards

Comments

Advertisement