Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clunk when breaking

Options
  • 13-02-2015 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I've just replaced the rear discs and pads on my Almera and now under braking, there is an intermittant clunking noise.
    It only seems to happen on a change of braking direction, for example, the car was facing up a hill on the handbrake and then started moving forward. The brakes will then make a click or clunk when I next apply the brakes to slow down.
    The only explanations I can imagine for this is the barke pads slipping forward/back in the caliper and hitting the wall or the disc rotating slightly and hitting the studs through holes that don't really appear to be too big but may be.
    Has anybody experienced this before and can it be sorted?
    Cheers for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

does sound like pad movement ,as long as same pad size and shapes used and any clips/springs not removed it is a common thing,fiats suffered from reversing and braking clonk with pads going other way,the spring should press pad down to stop noise,they are the wind back pads with groove around piston to allow spring to hook into on pad?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 storysham

greasepalm wrote: »
    does sound like pad movement ,as long as same pad size and shapes used and any clips/springs not removed it is a common thing,fiats suffered from reversing and braking clonk with pads going other way,the spring should press pad down to stop noise,they are the wind back pads with groove around piston to allow spring to hook into on pad?
    The pads have a small bump on the back, towards the bottom. I tried to get the bump to line up with the cross shaped groove on the piston.
    There's a spring on top (anti-rattle I presume) and a shim wrapped around the outside of the pad body.
    The fit isn't what I'd call tight but it's definitely not bad either.
    Is it something to worry about or should I just leave it alone before I break something?
    The rear left piston sticks a bit so I'm going to be going at that later. Is there something I could try while I have it on the jack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

im an amateur , but maybe the piston is backing off too much on release , and the pads are moving about a bit ?

once you chnage pads on some cars - after a piston windback and pad replace , when you are finished , you press the pedal a few times then you have to activate the handbrake 10 times in a row = to move the internal piston adjuster back to the piston , and this helps ensure the piston backs off just enough and not too much when you take foot off pedal.

or possibly the pads arent seated in the caliper as close to the disk as possible / or off line .

dont do anything on a jack with a wheel off, you have to have a another support , stand . wood blocks whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

deja-vu have an almera in garage did front pads and discs and went to change rear pads and guess what clunk clunk,pads sent out dont have backing shim on top and bottom of pad like original nissan ones did,factors getting correct pads tomorrow.
    so you need to change brake pads for correct ones or it will be noisy

Advertisement