Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC won't start up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Did you test it after putting in the wireless card?
    Did it boot up ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,875 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when you installed it, were you grounded? Its stupidly possible a static discharge ****ed something up in a bad way.

For now, discharge yourself (touching off something metal, grounding yourself, etc) - antistatic bands are great for this but not essential. And then disconnect everything but your motherboard (including HDD - dont need it yet) and see if you cant at least get into your BIOS screens. If you cant, I'd be deathly afraid you fried something vital on the motherboard. Try connecting the monitor through the motherboard's vga adapter if it has one, dont use the graphics card.

Other than that try resetting the CMOS: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/img/data/articles/2007/2275/fp35a_buttons.jpg every motherboard has one. remove the watch battery, switch the jumper position (in that image you see it as [**]* , switch it to *[**]), and put it back after 10 seconds, replace the battery, and try booting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

jackncoke wrote: »
    Did you test it after putting in the wireless card?
    Did it boot up ok?
    That's when the problem started.

Overheal wrote: »
    when you installed it, were you grounded? Its stupidly possible a static discharge ****ed something up in a bad way.

For now, discharge yourself (touching off something metal, grounding yourself, etc) - antistatic bands are great for this but not essential. And then disconnect everything but your motherboard (including HDD - dont need it yet) and see if you cant at least get into your BIOS screens. If you cant, I'd be deathly afraid you fried something vital on the motherboard. Try connecting the monitor through the motherboard's vga adapter if it has one, dont use the graphics card.
    Probably right.

I was connecting the external hard drive and touched off the back of the casing. There was a tiny spark.

I'll try again in the morning.
    Thanks.

If anyone can tell me how to use the HDD as an external hard drive, I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

You can get a cable to connect the HDD to a usb slot but I can't think of the name of them at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

To use the hdd from the desktop as an external hdd, connected via usb you need to find out if it's IDE or SATA, it will say on it.

Then buy a IDE or SATA to usb adapter. You can get adapters that will work with both either. Then you just hook it up to another computer.

Oh, you can pick one up in maplins for about 20/30 euro I'd say. Probably Peats too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have an external HDD case thingy. I just need to know where the jumper pins go to get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,875 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Terry wrote: »
    I have an external HDD case thingy. I just need to know where the jumper pins go to get it working.
    http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/D9087A1E816B9CE08625713A007D1D24/$file/7K160_ig.pdf

Im pretty sure for USB you just need it to be set to Slave. so set the jumpers to AB and CD. If that doesnt work try AB GH

Advertisement