Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gunk in water wiper reservoir

Options
  • 07-02-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi.
    Long story short the window washer on the car isn't working. When you pull the lever their is a noise of the lump running but No water comes out of the nozzles on the bonnet. I disconnected the hose from the reservoir and pulled the lever yet nothing came out of the hose. I checked the reservoir and there seems to be a huge amount of green gunk in it which I suspect might be blocking the hose. The opening to the reservoir is very small so I don't know how I would get into it to clean it. Is there anything I can get which I can pour into he reservoir which will dissolve the gunk or do I have to get creative??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd start by putting as large a piece of hose pipe into the washer bottle as possible and then siphoning the contents out then I'd poor very hot water (not boiling but it could be OK) into the bottle letting it cool a bit and repeat till all the gunk is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Usually the best way is to remove the bottle. It depends on the car if it's worth the effort or not.

If it's a major job remove the washer pump and rinse out the bottle from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

• Put a couple of broken up steradent tablets into the washer bottle.
    • Top up till nearly full, with water. Leave overnight.
    • Stick a hose pipe into the washer bottle and push it right down to the bottom.
    • Turn on the tap - slow trickle, and let it run until the fluid flows clear from the top of the bottle.
    • Note: Don't operate the washers until the water runs clear

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said, remove the bottle itself, it's probably the easiest way (what car is this?) and wash it out with hot water and washing up liquid.
    Use screenwash from any motor factors or a cup of white vinegar in the bottle with the water, it'll keep gunk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yep, take out the bottle. It is the only sure fire way to clean it all up. Had the same issue myself. That window clean detergent is useless stuff and this is the result of it. Either that or you need to heavily dilute it in future use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

It isn't an e46 BMW is it? Notorious for this problem. But a very easy fix.

Advertisement