Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HD not showing up

Options
  • 13-12-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hello all, i have a 500 Gb SUMO external hd and this morning it didnt show up on my pc,

Earlier i transfered a movie onto the playstation 3 and then put back my external hd to my computer, later i checked it and nothing showed up, something popped up saying USB not recognised ,and installing drivers ,then showed up malfunction or something. I often transfer movies to my ps3 so i dont think that was the cause.

The external hd light is on and u can hear it starting up, its on but its just now showing up.

My external HD has a plug to power it also. I havnt tried a different USB cable because one end of the cable is unique and doesnt have the typical usb connection. I dont have another cable like it.

Also its not showing up under Disk Managment.
    I tried it on my laptop and on my PC ,but no luck on either.
    Please help because i have a lot of valuable stuff on it.
    Have I lost my data?
    Thanks

I looked in the event log
    i got two warnings showing up at the time the hardrive failed
    The errors are the same
    Here it is

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 51
    Source: Disk
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
    Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
    An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
    If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Version: 5.0
    Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
    Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
    An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
    If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

can anyone help me out please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I Would suggest opening the external HDD and checking connections and if that fails connect it to an internal SATA or IDE port, is it SATA or IDE?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Villain wrote: »
    I Would suggest opening the external HDD and checking connections and if that fails connect it to an internal SATA or IDE port, is it SATA or IDE?

+1

And try it on another PC.

I tried it on several computers ,no luck
    Villain wrote: »
    I thinks its sata ,im not sure,
    I think i will just leave it into a fella that fixes computers cuz i dont wana mess with anything too complicated , thanks for the comment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,669 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Might just be the enclosure, i.e. maybe the USB bridge failed or something.

I had a similar problem with my 500gb WD Mybook yesterday. It was spinning up okay but wasn't mounting. Tried everything. But I went out this morning and got an new SATA enclosure, put the WD drive in and it worked.

• Advertisement

Might just be the enclosure, i.e. maybe the USB bridge failed or something.

I had a similar problem with my 500gb WD Mybook yesterday. It was spinning up okay but wasn't mounting. Tried everything. But I went out this morning and got an new SATA enclosure, put the WD drive in and it worked.

thanks for your reply , interesting , so how much is a sata enclosure ,and what type would i get , im going to derry in the morning ,what shop did u get yours in?
    I mite buy another usb cable to see if thats the problem ,cuz the usb cable thats with it is unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Go into Windows disk manager and see if the disk comes up...

=> Right Click on 'My Computer'
    => Left Click 'manage'
    => In the computer management screen that comes up click on 'Disk management'

There may be a 'Disk 1' or 'Disk 2' attached stating that its unformatted?.

Feelgood wrote: »
    Go into Windows disk manager and see if the disk comes up...

=> Right Click on 'My Computer'

=> Left Click 'manage'

=> In the computer management screen that comes up click on 'Disk management'

There may be a 'Disk 1' or 'Disk 2' attached stating that its unformatted?.

Pangea wrote: »

Also its not showing up under Disk Managment.
    I tried it on my laptop and on my PC ,but no luck on either.
    Thanks but its not showing up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,669 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Pangea wrote:
    thanks for your reply , interesting , so how much is a sata enclosure ,and what type would i get , im going to derry in the morning ,what shop did u get yours in?

I got one in PC World for €45. It's an Integral Akasa 3.5 inch. I'm not an expert but afaik most SATA enclosures are fairly standard, just be certain that it is a SATA hdd and get the right size. The one I got supports IDE as well. Although I only discovered after I got home that it's only supposed to take drives up to 400gb but my 500gb is working fine in it so far.

Even if the enclosure isn't the problem, it's a handy thing to have, you could always buy a new internal hdd and slot it in. You should probably exhaust every other possibility first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

If you are having the same problem on different PC's/ Laptops the problems isn't the OS, your problem is the enclosure/disk itself that is causing the problem.

SHould be a standard SATA disk in it, crack the chassis open ( more then likely void the warranty ) and take the disk out and connect it up to your PC's motherboard.

Enter the BIOS and see if it is detected if it still isn't problem is the disk.
    If it is detected in the bios that way the problem is the enclore that the disk was in.
    go up to pc world buy akasa disk enclosure and hook that up to your system.
    If it still fails bin the drive and bring back the enclosure to PC and just tell them you bought the wrong one and you want your money back. and buy a new external hdd

• Advertisement
Advertisement