Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do we all think of Frasier?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

After 10 years it's safe to say it's my favourite comedy show ever. I can flick into a random show that I've seen a dozen times and it still makes me laugh.
    Just zapped into the Klingon bar mitzvah the other day and it was brilliant.

Reason is what's been said already. Witty, intelligent never stale, Niles! Everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's just the best. IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Daith

Probably mentioned but just an amazing performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Daphne's brother was incredibly annoying!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The episode where Frasier takes a stand by refusing to pay the car park attendant, and ends up getting his wires crossed with Roz's story live on air at the end, is one of the best comedic moments I've ever seen on telly.

Still watch it with my father if I happen to come across it on the telly. Still laugh out loud. Love the intellectual jokes, snobbery and wit.

And Roz is a lasher too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Love it, still watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

And Roz is a lasher too :D

Roz is unreal looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

My favourite tv comedy ever!

The two brothers, their fusty ways, sheer snobbery, sibling rivalry, their constant bickering and oneup-manship is brilliant. I was such a fan of Niles, I once named a labrador after him :)

The two brothers are renowned psychiatrists yet they both have every neurosis known to man. Remember Niles' narcolepsy :)

Who can not love the episode where they bring in a dog psychiatrist to help Eddie who is feeling down :)

In the earlier episodes, remember the way Frasier would come home and catch Niles in some compromising situation with Daphne, maybe she was trying on dresses, or his tie gets stuck in her zipper etc. "Niiiiles... what are you doing?" almost became a catchphrase of Frasiers :)

By the way, did ye realise that our very own bishop Len Brennan (Jim Norton) was in at least one episode. IIRC he played a butler in one of the stuffy gentlemans clubs that the boys wanted to join.

I totally agree that the later series lost some of the magic as happens to most sitcoms eventually. Daphne's family were goddam awful. And as with all will they / wont they scenarios, once Niles and Daphne get together, it looses the magic also.

I recently googled the cast and was shocked to see how much they have aged
    456631_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

You must remember, that it is 21 years since Frasier first hit our screens. David Hyde Pierce (Niles) was only 34 when he first appeared, now he's 55. Very few people age THAT gracefully. And even more to warp our perceptions is that it is 10 years since the show ended. So the cast aged 11 years over the course of the show (in our eyes, so it would have been a "gradual" ageing). And then aged 10 years when we did not see them constantly. So it comes as a bit of a shock.

Still, one of the best comedy series ever. My personal favourite comedy. Everything about it was so top drawer.

As an aside, regarding Daphne's brothers and their patchwork accents, this was geared for an American audience. For sure, to our ear there is a huge difference between a London and Northern England accent. But to Americans, it all just sounds "English", so they don't bother with regionalising it. Even Roz comments on how Simon Moon sounds just like a prince (the stereotype that all English accents sound cultured in America, even Mockney ones. :P )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You can definitely watch Kelsey Grammar age throughout, just watch his hair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 TheEnigma

It is very good indeed, I have not seen every episode though, it would be my 3rd favourite sitcom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Niles (thinking Martin is dying):

"I'm not ready for him to go yet. Who's going to teach my son to throw a football ball?"

Nanny G (Nanette) to Frasier:

"I'm bored. Have you any idea what it's like to play the same character for TWENTY YEARS?"

Others have mentioned Nile's silent scene but another one worth a mention is when Ben (Elvis Costello) asks a reluctant Niles to accompany him and Niles gets completely sucked in.

I never thought another comedy would overtake Only Fools and Cheers but for me this one did.

And yeah, Roz is a dinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Too lazy to write my opinion on Frasier again so will quote this one I made in the Friends thread today:
    Tarzana wrote: »
    I love Frasier but I've been watching a lot of it on Netflix lately and it has gone down a bit in my estimations. A lot of really set up storylines that you see how they will unfold long before the punchline, a lot of embarrassing clichés and stereotyping. I would have long said before that Frasier is smarter than Friends but on reflection, not really. And both make me laugh out loud a lot.

Also, HATED Daphne's family, they were a real misstep.

Niles, Martin and Roz are wonderful characters though.

Beano wrote: »
    I was never terribly keen on the freddie character but it if meant that Bebe Neuwirth might appear then i was willing to put up with him.

My BF fancies Bebe Neuwirth too. And Roz. :D

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Just remember the one where he was ironing his trousers - very Chaplinesque!

That is a great sequence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Tarzana wrote: »
    My BF fancies Bebe Neuwirth too. And Roz. :D

He is a wise man with excellent taste. You should cherish him dearly.

There was a special type of brilliance that managed to make two fusty metrosexual snobby doctors so endearing to the masses.

Spot on. You should hate them but you don't.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I actually forgot about Bulldog, can't believe he wasn't in it for so long, how long was it, a season or so? 'THIS STINKS, THIS IS TOTAL BS, THIS IS oh wait no its ok'

I was shocked that Kenny only appeared about halfway through the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've seen 'Bulldog' in other programmes, he is a fine serious actor as well. This link gives information on the cast 'after Frasier'.

http://showbizgeek.com/what-ever-happened-to-the-cast-of-frasier/

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

My favourite sitcom of all time. Have the box set and watch it most mornings on C4. There was so many great episodes, I could watch them over and over again, some of my favourites are

The Klingon bar mitzvah
    Niles and Lilith hooking up
    Where Niles tells Daphne he lover her
    When Daphne returns from fat camp
    Cam Winston and his american flag
    Anything with Bebe (best agent of all time)
    When Daphnes English boyfriend came to visit and she pretended she was married to Niles
    Nanny G

The introduction of Daphnes family was not the shows finest hour but I still enjoyed them somewhat. I liked Freddie and his crush on Daphne and how Niles was jealous of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,510 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

madmaggie wrote: »
    It was simply brilliant. I loved the way Martin would remind the sons of their roots whenever they were being really pompous. That, and the tatty armchair, and what was the name of the dog, it's bugging me?

Eddie the dog was my favourite character :p

I was never completely sold on the Niles/Daphne romance. Considering his character and personality, Niles would never have gone for someone like Daphne, but I suppose love is blind, as they say! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

two of my favourites. While the writing is great, i find its the little nuances in the performances of Kelsey Grammar and David Hyde Pierce that really carry it to brilliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The casting of David Hyde Pierce was a stroke of genius. Niles is one of the all time great sitcom characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Pacifico wrote: »

Her mother was the worst!

I love Frasier's outbursts. When Felicity Hoffman's character insults his towels. I also love this clip, could be used in practically every AH thread ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It had to be posted

The casting of David Hyde Pierce was a stroke of genius. Niles is one of the all time great sitcom characters.

I totally agree. He wasn't planned either, just written into the show once David Hyde Pierce auditioned for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wonderful show.
    Niles and Lylith were my favourite characters.

The episode where Niles cuts his finger and faints each time he looks at was just gold, pure gold, comic writing at it's best.

Thats the chaplin esque bit :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pacifico wrote: »

He is Australian.
    Sorry couldn't resist now going to hyde. ;)
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Eddie the dog was my favourite character :p

Which one ?
    AFAIK there were a couple because the original Eddie (Moose) got old.
    I think it was his son that first took over as stunt double and then as actual Eddie.

I recall hearing John Mahoney, say something along the lines of Eddie actually wasn't that friendly dog in real life.
    Maybe he was a bit of a prima dona. :D
    They had to smear oil or pate on themselves for him to lick them.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Love this show. If I'm channel surfing, and I see it I'll always leave it on, without fail.

A few episodes that stand out to me:

The 'Prank' episode, where Frasier tries to prank Bulldog with zombies and there is all sorts of double-crossing going on...

the Halloween episode where they dress up as their heroes and Niles dresses like Martin. There is a scene towards the end of that episode that has me bawling like a baby, every time...

The Christmas episode where Martin has to work and the boys plan to surprise him and swap the real presents for the fake presents in the lobby where he works...

The Radio Awards episode where Frasier has a journalist tailing him for the night morning awards show and iirc he has to get Roz's stuck-up sister to be his date...

Someone mentioned it already, but the episode where he refuses to pay the carpark ticket is great.

The episode where Niles flukes making the basketball shot at the stadium and Martin has never been prouder of him so Frasier sets out to prove it was a fluke...

Frasier is just a perfectly written TV show imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Brendão wrote: »
    The 'Prank' episode, where Frasier tries to prank Bulldog with zombies and there is all sorts of double-crossing going on...

That reminds of another episode where the radio station gets new breakfast dj's and they prank Frasier by making him sing on the radio and get people to take pictures of his backside for $100.

A picture of Roz's only got you a six pack:pac:

'Pranks are supposed to be fun!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I have great time for Frasier. My favourite episode is the Ham Radio one, it's probably my favourite episode of a sitcom of all time. 'Look out, he's got a nug!', ha.

I also love The Doctor Is Out episode. Patrick Stewart's turn as a gay director who fancied Frasier is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I agree that her family were badly written though, they're meant to be from Manchester and yet her brother has a strong Cockney accent? Research department fail!

I used to cringe when her brother would make an appearance.

Worst. British accent. Ever!

Anthony La Paglia is a great actor too, always wondered why they couldn't have just cast a British actor to play the part.

''Naah, where's the nearest paaab?''

The few British actors in it really hammed it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This Episode , The Matchmaker was a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFV3e0FHKgQ

I thought John Mahoney was great in it. Might have hammed it up for sure, but it felt like character development, he comes from withdrawn and grumpy in the first episodes to coming out of his shell a bit and eventually remarrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

This Episode , The Matchmaker was a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFV3e0FHKgQ

"Why not just lather Daphne up with baby oil, and hurl her over the wall of a prison yard" :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I haven't the post count to link but another classic for me was when Dr. Mary came on and took over Frasier's show. He didn't know how to broach it with her because she was black so he did the role play with Niles and Frasier hams it up playing Dr. Mary.

Funny, reading these posts, it's amazing how many people enjoyed the episodes where there was a gay theme. I find all those listed exceptional episodes also as did I enjoy the one where Frasier and Niles believed Roz's boyfriend to be gay and it led to Frasier dancing in the gay bar in his tight fitting squash shorts. Classic.

Despite seeing all the episodes over and over I've only recently started looking at the footage at the end when the credits roll. Turns out the episodes weren't actually over at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

There were a lot of gay actors in Frasier

No one has mentioned the last ever episode. Probably the ideal conclusion to a sitcom of all time.

The moment from when Frasier and everyone else in the room have their wires crossed (they think he's dying when he's really moving to San Fran), to when he gives his farewell send-off on air, has me in a flood of tears every time.

"For eleven years you heard me say "I'm listening". Well you were listening too. And for that I'm enternally grateful. Goodnight Seattle".

Its a nice episode but... (I'm not just here to find faults, honestly) Charlotte was not my favourite of Frasiers girlfriends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its a nice episode but... (I'm not just here to find faults, honestly) Charlotte was not my favourite of Frasiers girlfriends.

Ditto she drove me crazy. you know who i liked? Claire. she was like his perfect match.

That episode actually started with Daphne after giving birth and Martin, his wife and Frasier arriving late to the vets to find Niles nursing and feeding a baby monkey :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

this is one of the best lol moments.

At the start of the episode, Martin scares Frasier a number of times with a few different childish pranks. So when treating a new patient for coulrophobia (fear of clowns), Frasier decides to carry out a practical joke of his own..

I liked Lana best, as a character anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"For eleven years you heard me say "I'm listening". Well you were listening too. And for that I'm enternally grateful. Goodnight Seattle".

You reminded me of another funny little "in-joke"... In one episode, Frasier's ex wife Nannette happens to be visiting town. She's a children's TV entertainer, going by the stage name Nanny G, and she confides in Frasier about how difficult it is having to play the same role every day.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

efb wrote: »
    There were a lot of gay actors in Frasier

aye thinking about it David Hide Pierce didn't come out until 2007, find it hard to believe that he guarded his sexually so for such a long time

Back to the brilliance of Frasier, always loved the Nialls and Roz putdowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Love, love, love Frasier! Niles was the best! One of my favourite episodes was the one where Frasier and Niles are competing to buy the best birthday present for Martin

Dr. Niles Crane: Hello, Daphne, Sherry.
    [to waitress]
    Dr. Niles Crane: Double latte, please.
    [sits]
    Dr. Niles Crane: Is Frasier with you?
    Sherry Dempsey: No, he's out shopping for your dad.
    Dr. Niles Crane: That jackal!
    [Niles races out of the café. A minute later, Frasier comes in]
    Daphne Moon: Dr. Crane, did you find something?
    Dr. Frasier Crane: Yes, I did. It took me most of the afternoon but I finally came up with something I think is just about perfect!
    Sherry Dempsey: Oh, Niles forgot his coffee.
    Dr. Frasier Crane: Niles was here?
    Sherry Dempsey: Yes, but you know, when I mentioned that you were out shopping for your dad he just shot out of here like a bullet...
    Dr. Frasier Crane: That little worm!

And the episode where Frasier is sick: "Fine, I guess I'll just have to make my own tea!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement