Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MOTU] alien abductions in ireland

Options
  • 15-09-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

find it strange how this is hardly mentioned in ireland but in places like the us and uk ?
    can anyone shed any light on it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Irish people are more educated about sleep paralysis and its neurological effects??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 aob9

Calibos wrote: »
    Irish people are more educated about sleep paralysis and its neurological effects??

Agree, I suffer from sleep paralysis on occasion, absolutely terrifying unless you educate yourself about it. Now I find it frighteningly intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

We used to have apparitions/moving statues/dancing suns, etc. Once that wears off, we might get the alien abduction stuff...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

We have enough with the walking dead in all our towns and Dublin city and also the leprechauns.

It's probably in their water the same as all the crazies going around shooting everybody for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Greenfigure

Cause we are the aliens. Sure who else can drink and drink and drink and drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

The Irish have taken over the world.
    The amount of Irish passports going around must be out of this world;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

s.m wrote: »
    find it strange how this is hardly mentioned in ireland but in places like the us and uk ?

Not sure i believe most of the cases of it anywhere, but the Betty and Barney Hill case was interesting. The 1975 film of the book starring James Earl Jones still terrifies me. And, its available to watch on youtube.

Personally, i think most, if not all of the rest are copycatting Betty and Barney. There are a few exceptions which are extremely hard to explain or unexplainable imo, like Whitley Strieber who's a complete and utter mentalcase but there are/were witnesses to the events during his abductions. Then there's Travis Walton again with witnesses and anytime i've seen him presenting or being interviewed he appears to be a fairly grounded person (pun not intended).

Then there's the likes of Dr. Stephen Greer, who's a complete fruitcake, and entirely unbelievable in everything he says. If he said the sky was blue i still wouldn't believe him. As for the little known ones, they're a dime a dozen and usually have a hook that hasnt been used before which is designed to either repulse or horrify the reader/viewer and generally they are the ones that are solely out to get fame/notoriety or money out of making eejits out of themselves.

Thing is, if this phenomenon was/is real it's got so much bad press and fakers and let's face it.. idiots and incredibly financially prudent psychologists taking advantage of it that you could never take it seriously, not even with a grain of salt.

I'd suggest watching the UFO incident above. I think that's about as good as any account and creepy as hell as it was the first of it's kind back in the day, and probably has some truth in it, even if it wasn't an alien abduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

No doubt there are a lot of crazies out there but i always found the betty and barney hill one interesting indeed.

Just have a thought for a minute, just imagine that this alien abduction scenario is real ? if it is, then we have a serious problem to think about. If it is real then it is the most serious and disturbing thing human beings will need to deal with to find out why and what it's true purpose is.

We all know that we move and see in 3 dimensions, but scientists know there is a fourth dimension & more, so saying that it's extraterrestrials from other planets is a bit lax in thinking because there could be some kind of entities from the fourth dimension interacting with this planet ? ye just never know.

And who say's that they come from our space or beyond, there could be something interacting with us from another dimension, not of our space and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

My theory is as so.
    1% of the american population believing in something is around 3.3 million people with access to the internet being able to make youtube videos and explain their theorys on the internets so the rest of us can see/read them

1% of the irish population is like 30,000 people its unlikely you will hear anything from them unless your actively looking

bizmark wrote: »
    My theory is as so.
    1% of the american population believing in something is around 3.3 million people with access to the internet being able to make youtube videos and explain their theorys on the internets so the rest of us can see/read them

1% of the irish population is like 30,000 people its unlikely you will hear anything from them unless your actively looking

Does anyone really think that a sane Irish person is going to splurt out to anyone that they had an alien abduction ? you would just be called crazy/nutcase/fruitcake/insane and maybe sent to a nut house by their own family.

This would be the ultimate brain crisis if it was true and it happened to you because no-one would believe you, you would just be classed as a head-case. I agree, it does sound out of this world, pun intended, but just imagine if even one case of this abduction stuff was true, even if all other cases in the world were hoaxes but 1 was true, then that would be quite shocking to everyone on the planet.

We can't rule it out, unless we can prove it to be 100% wrong. Who really knows what's out there in our own galaxy or other dimensions of which are thousands if not millions of years ahead in technology than we are.

Sure it wasn't that long ago that people were saying that there is no way on this earth that a person could fly in a man-made contraption, never mind sending a man/woman to the moon, But look at it now in just over a hundred years. Who knows what the hell some other technologically advanced civilisation or biological entities have in their technological advancements portfolio.

Maybe we could not see them visually anyway if they existed because our eye's/brains can only see on a tiny part of the electromagnetic spectrum. We are basically blind when you look at the electromagnetic spectrum wavelength scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I think its more "crazy" to believe that nothing else in the entire universe possibly exist beyond us.So to me anyway its worth investigating peoples claims but always from the view point of why the christ would a race capable of crossing the galaxy want to probe a farmer in bumble**** nowhere america or randomly troll small aircraft first.

My post was just to answer why we dont hear about it much in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Speculating here but if some/any of the reported abductions are in fact true, maybe it could have something to do with the energy in certain areas..
    A lot of reported crop circle activity seems to be in US and UK also

Then there's the likes of Dr. Stephen Greer, who's a complete fruitcake, and entirely unbelievable in everything he says. If he said the sky was blue i still wouldn't believe him. As for the little known ones, they're a dime a dozen and usually have a hook that hasnt been used before which is designed to either repulse or horrify the reader/viewer and generally they are the ones that are solely out to get fame/notoriety or money out of making eejits out of themselves.

I spent about a year or so absolutely believing the stuff Greer put out because I found him so convincing! Fairly far fetched stuff though I'll admit..

Is his movie out yet? I was getting updates about progress but have heard nothing for a while..

It is yeah, the one with the little alien he "found" - sorry but my opinion of him being any kind of professional with affairs like that are extremely low. I watched the film and thought even less of him after it.

Anyways, going off topic, i could rant about how much i think he's a money grubbing douchebag that preys on people who want to believe in a little bit more than what's on the menu, but i wont :D

What Zenno says is right too, anyone openly admitting to phenomenon like that here would be stigmatised by it for the rest of their lives, you'd probably get away with it in a bigger country but it'd haunt you here indefinitely.

It is yeah, the one with the little alien he "found" - sorry but my opinion of him being any kind of professional with affairs like that are extremely low. I watched the film and thought even less of him after it.

Anyways, going off topic, i could rant about how much i think he's a money grubbing douchebag that preys on people who want to believe in a little bit more than what's on the menu, but i wont :D

What Zenno says is right too, anyone openly admitting to phenomenon like that here would be stigmatised by it for the rest of their lives, you'd probably get away with it in a bigger country but it'd haunt you here indefinitely.

Must watch it so! Do you think he is deranged then or just greedy? Utterly fascinating from a psychological perspective either way..
    Have you seen his £1500+ expedition on YouTube where they're all in a field and he uses his laser to point out an invisible spaceship?

Apologies for going if topic btw..

I can't remember where I heard this but an interesting alternative explanation for the alien abduction phenomenon is that it could be a 21St century model of what used to be the 'fairy realm'
    Maybe this is something that becomes a part of the collective unconscious and then the individuals minds way of interpreting extraordinary experiences..

Did anyone see the documentary about the teenage exorcists? There was a woman at their English event that had been depressed for months, convinced in her mind that there was a demon inside her. She was literally crippled prior to the event and went along with the intention of exorcising this 'demon'
    At the event she became 'demonic' temporarily and expended a massive amount of energy in a short time. Of course the exorcists were doingtheir song and dance around her with their crosses but really she was doing all the work.
    I couldn't help but think this was just a woman with some pent up rage or something who needed an outlet and basically used her beliefs and the facility of the event to 'exorcise' the feeling and basically heal herself. She was absolutely fine afterwards.
    It made me really think about just how much your beliefs shape your reality. This woman seemed completely sane to me.

anyway I thought it might be a relevant other way at looking at why the abduction thing is specific to certain areas

does anyone here know anyone who has had an abduction experience? I know there is one guy on the forum who has..

There was mention of that in his new video alright. he's either very smart of very crazy. Smart in the sense that he's free to make up any old story and charge people to hear it, and people do pay to hear his crap and pay through the nose too apparently, and crazy because there's no evidence.

Did you know he has groupies that follow him around and pay him for the privelidge? He also has well armed bodyguards. You get to see them in the video, not sure if it was intentional or not but you can clearly see some guy following him around in almost every shot with a handgun holstered at his hip.

He also says that alien abductions are always benevolent acts. Which to be fair, if it was benevolent it wouldnt be called an abduction would it? lol

there's just so much wrong with what he's saying, to me anyway. He comes across to me as a religious cult leader rather than a whistleblower with hard or any kind of evidence. The little alien thing he had studied by an independent source was and is sham imo. Sure see the video for yourself, i seen it on youtube a few months ago before it was taken down, but ye might find it there again.

There was mention of that in his new video alright. he's either very smart of very crazy. Smart in the sense that he's free to make up any old story and charge people to hear it, and people do pay to hear his crap and pay through the nose too apparently, and crazy because there's no evidence.

Did you know he has groupies that follow him around and pay him for the privelidge? He also has well armed bodyguards. You get to see them in the video, not sure if it was intentional or not but you can clearly see some guy following him around in almost every shot with a handgun holstered at his hip.

He also says that alien abductions are always benevolent acts. Which to be fair, if it was benevolent it wouldnt be called an abduction would it? lol

there's just so much wrong with what he's saying, to me anyway. He comes across to me as a religious cult leader rather than a whistleblower with hard or any kind of evidence. The little alien thing he had studied by an independent source was and is sham imo. Sure see the video for yourself, i seen it on youtube a few months ago before it was taken down, but ye might find it there again.

I didn't know he had body guards but did hear him say in some interview that attempts had been made to assassinate him.

The first time i came across him was the project Camelot interview where I thought he actually came across really well but that was mostly I think down to the fact the interviewer came across so badly. I got hooked in by the transcendental meditation and free energy bit but once I saw the photograph cseti released of the supposed ET that visited their camp I completely lost interest.
    Will check out the sirius documentary and see what the latest is

I think cult leader is the best way of describing him now alright. Still if someone handed me a free ticket to one of his UK getogethers I'd be there with bells on..id say it's a hoot!

ah yeah i'd be the same lol, if i'd a free ticket to one of his presentations i'd go aswell, but i'd be thinking of Stanton Friedman! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

there was a fella abducted in 1996 or thereabouts apparently, at st patricks chair and well up near aughnacloy in tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

there's atleast 164 people taken from ireland and sent to another planet every 5 years to place called leinster house, but these '' people'' are volunteers for this so this isn't strictly abduction but more likely for self gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

iopener wrote: »
    there's atleast 164 people taken from ireland and sent to another planet every 5 years to place called leinster house, but these '' people'' are volunteers for this so this isn't strictly abduction but more likely for self gain.

Please keep posts on topic, constructive & relevant. Thanks

Pretty good old Horizon documentary here, that tries to explain the alien abduction phenomena.

Sleep paralysis seems to be the major culprit in most of them, but as with anything like this, there is an X factor (no not simon cowell coming down to you in his spaceship either :P ) which remains unexplained.

Pretty good old Horizon documentary here, that tries to explain the alien abduction phenomena.

Sleep paralysis seems to be the major culprit in most of them, but as with anything like this, there is an X factor (no not simon cowell coming down to you in his spaceship either :P ) which remains unexplained.

There's a bit of a problem with this sleep paralysis scenario, what about folks that claim they have been abducted by other beings but they are driving down the road, or are fully awake walking home and claim this ? this isn't sleep paralysis obviously but i do consider sleep paralysis to be partially responsible for some claims. Sleep paralysis can be a frightening experience indeed, i used to have them at least twice a week, but i don't get them anymore.

could be any reason, wether or not it happened is still speculative without true evidence. Hardcore believers would probably say it's being covered up by their government. But in my own opinion out of the thousands that say they are being abducted, there's probably one or two cases that truly cannot be explained either way. Wether it is aliens or something far less interesting is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

zenno wrote: »
    Does anyone really think that a sane Irish person is going to splurt out to anyone that they had an alien abduction .
    I know of someone who claimed to me to have been abducted regularly and that they had marks on their body as a result.

I believe they belived it but i do not belive it happened. i did not see the marks but believe they had them. i do not know what the marks were but were not from abduction anyway

In my opinion anyone who belives in alien abduction has mental issues. The reason they will not tell people is not fear of ridicule, it is because they know deep down they are not real experiences. If they fully believed in the experience they would not care about ridicule

Spiritiser wrote: »
    I know of someone who claimed to me to have been abducted regularly and that they had marks on their body as a result.

I believe they belived it but i do not belive it happened. i did not see the marks but believe they had them. i do not know what the marks were but were not from abduction anyway

So without seeing the marks, you're happy enough to conclude it isn't true? Why?
    In my opinion anyone who belives in alien abduction has mental issues. The reason they will not tell people is not fear of ridicule, it is because they know deep down they are not real experiences. If they fully believed in the experience they would not care about ridicule

Mental issues? I guess it's ok to believe in religious deities etc though without being accused of having mental issues? Are you aware of the caliber of some people who believe in the phenomenon, & in fact profess to have been abducted....test pilots, decorated military officers, politicians, police officers...the list goes on. I suppose having 'mental issues' must be more prevalent in society than I imagined.

I'm not sure I believe in the abduction phenomenon myself, but as I said above, there's far more whacky things believed in that society deems acceptable, so without evidence either way, I'll leave the book open on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

Myrddin wrote: »
    So without seeing the marks, you're happy enough to conclude it isn't true? Why?
    because i do not belive in alien abductions. i do believe the ,arks existed

Mental issues? I guess it's ok to believe in religious deities etc though without being accused of having mental issues? Are you aware of the caliber of some people who believe in the phenomenon, & in fact profess to have been abducted....test pilots, decorated military officers, politicians, police officers...the list goes on. I suppose having 'mental issues' must be more prevalent in society than I imagined.
    That is an appeal to authority i think is that the term? Just because they are decorated/police/pilots etc does not make them infallible

That is an appeal to authority i think is that the term? Just because they are decorated/police/pilots etc does not make them infallible

it does make them excellent witnesses, if you were to pit an unemployed middle-aged guy who lives in his parents basement/trailer park and has an unhealthy obsession with the X-Files and in particular 'Dana Scully' (no not me, i'm not middle aged.. yet) against a US Air Force Colonel, the Colonel would be the more reliable witness because of his/her background in aviation - if they were to have witnessed a UFO - they could clearly state that it was not swamp gas or some other phenomenon as they'd have a better than average standard of knowing what's flying around.

There are also Air Traffic Controllers who have witness odd going's on, and swear blind that all their radar recordings and whatnot were taken by men in dark clothing who worked for their government. (cant remember where exactly, might have been canada or newfoundland in the 90's or early 2000's)

Those guys, (ATC's) are probably the most reliable witnesses you could put in a room to give a statement due to the nature of their job requiring them not o be complete fruitcakes.

So why does one warrant 'mental issues' & the other doesn't, given neither of them have a shred of evidence? I presume when you say the 'Arks', you're talking about one of the many different religions that are currently being practiced?

It's strange, burning bushes that speak, omnipotent & eternal entities, everlasting life in paradise, resurrection from death, & all manner of fables can be accepted as truth... yet the belief in biological beings much like ourselves but ones who travel here from afar is coughed at & means you have a 'mental issue'. Seems a really strange stance on the Universe if you ask me.

I never said they were infallible, but they are professionals, & would all have really high standing character references. If such well established professionals are willing to put their careers on the line for what they believe in/what happened, well that speaks pretty loudly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Myrddin wrote: »
    I presume when you say the 'Arks', you're talking about one of the many different religions that are currently being practiced?

I'm fairly sure that was a typo of 'marks', referring to the claimed marks on the abducted's body.

Advertisement