Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for the call

Options
  • 11-06-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

I don't really know why I'm posting as the situation is completely out of my control. I suppose I'm just looking for some empathy! I had an interview on Tuesday and was told I'd hear back on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning latest. However, principal said it would 99% be Thursday. Interview went well but as we all know - its incredibly difficult to tell. The wait is killing me. The summers of uncertainty are the worst thing about this profession. This job would mean a lot for my family. I've young children and we desperately need financial stability. Thankfully my husband has secure employment and it could be worse I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I hate the waiting. It's worse when they give a day but they dont ring you on that day. Fingers crossed for you. Im wary of June interviews for being ones for jobs that are long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I hate the waiting. It's worse when they give a day but they dont ring you on that day. Fingers crossed for you. Im wary of June interviews for being ones for jobs that are long gone

I hear you. I just hope the fact they bothered interviewing means there's an actual vacancy. I must have applied for over 20 positions and I've been called for interview twice. Another one on Tuesday - however, that one is a chunk of a distance away and this one would be ideal. I'm trying to clutch on very rare straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Ive always found that August is the better month for interviews, more real jobs. Although that could be just in my area as its one of the last to be decided on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Some They say they will ring and then they never do so try not to be too disappointed. :( it's cruel, it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Some They say they will ring and then they never do so try not to be too disappointed. :( it's cruel, it really is.

Many moons ago I went for an interview before lunch one afternoon and came home to find a letter had arrived in the post saying I was unsuccessful!!!!!!
    interviews in June are mainly making up numbers sadly especially now with interviews after year 1 for all

• Advertisement

Just got the call. Didn't get it. Went to someone with more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

At least they had the manners to let you know. Head up and keep on trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

In the same pickle myself - still waiting on a phone call. Had the interview yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

In the same pickle myself - still waiting on a phone call. Had the interview yesterday.

Fingers crossed for you starky.

Good luck. What are your subjects?? Its tough out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

In a similar situation myself, expect I had an interview for a lecturing position in an IT. Only had the interview this morning and already wondering how I am going to cope over the weekend. I also wasn't given any indication of how it would be before hearing. I actually already work in the Institute on a part time basis, but this is for a full time role. The suspense is horrible. :(

highly1111 wrote: »
    Good luck. What are your subjects?? Its tough out there.

Geography and English. Currently teaching Geography, Citizenship and PSHE in England at the moment. I really want to come back home.

pconn062 wrote: »
    In a similar situation myself, expect I had an interview for a lecturing position in an IT. Only had the interview this morning and already wondering how I am going to cope over the weekend. I also wasn't given any indication of how it would be before hearing. I actually already work in the Institute on a part time basis, but this is for a full time role. The suspense is horrible. :(

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

Is it a good idea to ring for feedback? I got a letter today saying I was unsuccessful for an interview last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

patriciaf6 wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to ring for feedback? I got a letter today saying I was unsuccessful for an interview last week!

It is a good idea but not all principals/chairpersons will be happy to provide you feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ETB schools will tell you to talk to HR.

Geography and English. Currently teaching Geography, Citizenship and PSHE in England at the moment. I really want to come back home.

Well good luck. They're good subjects. I hope you get it. My subjects are business, accounting and economics. Fingers crossed we'll get there.

Unfortunately those 3 subjects are more like 1 subject and that could be the biggest challenge. It would be difficult to fill a timetable for you in most schools

TheDriver wrote: »
    Unfortunately those 3 subjects are more like 1 subject and that could be the biggest challenge. It would be difficult to fill a timetable for you in most schools

Yes. There's not a huge demand for accounting and economics especially. I've lots of experience teaching maths but I'm not registered to teach it with the TC. If things don't work out this summer I might have to go back and do the relevant courses to gain qualification - but with 3 young children and a lack of funds - it would be very difficult.

Keep pressing the maths or willingness to do it/experience. I know its not what u want to hear but I wouldn't shortlist you if its only business subjects as I would foresee timetabling and CID issues down the road. However resource and maths would be of benefit so make sure its obvious. Best of luck.....

• Advertisement

Keep pressing the maths or willingness to do it/experience. I know its not what u want to hear but I wouldn't shortlist you if its only business subjects as I would foresee timetabling and CID issues down the road. However resource and maths would be of benefit so make sure its obvious. Best of luck.....

Thanks for your honesty. The school I've just finished in (I was doing a one year fixed term) have a vacancy for a SNA next year and have basically told me its mine it I want it - however, I don't know if it would look better or worse on my CV?? As a step back??

I also lecture part time, I've a masters, industry experience, have worked consistently inbetween having my children, have worked in the community, active in a sports club - and I'm not even getting shortlisted for a lot of jobs which say they're just looking for the business subjects. That said I've another interview on Tuesday so maybe the other jobs are just already earmarked. I genuinely don't know what to think.

However, I'd be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on SNA for a year. Would the fact that its the same school make it appear "less bad"??? That they offered me a job but it wasn't a teaching one. The principal said he'd employ me tomorrow. He just can't offer me teaching hours.

Even though adverts only say business etc, its to maximise the applicants base and then a decision can be taken on preferred 2nd subject. I could advertise geography and art and get 1 whereas geog could get 100 and then I decide on 2nd subject.

The SNA is difficult but in your circumstances, it might be a good option. However be careful if you are on an old payscale as being out of teaching could put you on new terms. Taking on SNA is neither good nor bad but I personally wouldn't take on a teacher as SNA and in interview they never cone across as good as trained SNAs.

Even though adverts only say business etc, its to maximise the applicants base and then a decision can be taken on preferred 2nd subject. I could advertise geography and art and get 1 whereas geog could get 100 and then I decide on 2nd subject.

The SNA is difficult but in your circumstances, it might be a good option. However be careful if you are on an old payscale as being out of teaching could put you on new terms. Taking on SNA is neither good nor bad but I personally wouldn't take on a teacher as SNA and in interview they never cone across as good as trained SNAs.

Thank you. I haven't been department paid since 2012 so I need to call the department on monday and clarify my position. I was also advised to get this past year recognised by the department for my increments etc. I was department paid pre 2011 but I need to find out exactly how it all may pan out. I've been mostly department paid since I graduated in 2010 but I wasn't working between August 2012-August 2014 as I had 2 babies in 18 months and then when I went back in august 2014 I was privately paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Postgrad10 wrote: »

I find this utterly disgusting. Have gone to a handful of interviews where the principals did not have the basic decency to even let me know. Yes they are busy, but a little respect to the person who has attended the interview should be expected.

Any advice on how you get a job when you know other candidates have more experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

patriciaf6 wrote: »
    Any advice on how you get a job when you know other candidates have more experience?

Your reference will be hugely important. Be very confident but also reflective and self aware. Know your subject inside out and show your passion. Find out what is going on in the school extra curricular wise and show your passion for this also. Talk about teamwork and where you have demonstrated this. Don't be modest was one of the best pieces of advice I got.

Ultimately though what you did in your previous school will be what it comes down to. If you worked well with others, participated in EC, demonstrated excellence in some area and did a brilliant job in the classroom you can get a job ahead of someone with more experience. You must be fit to communicate this though.

Thanks for the great advice! Very disheartened at the moment after not getting a job that I interviewed for last week! I'm only out a year and had a fantastic year in a local school! I got so involved and gave it 100%! I got excellent references and it's just hard luck that there is no hours there for the coming year after doing a cover of 22hrs. Now I'm beginning to wonder how I'm going to compete against those with more experience but your advice has been so helpful!

I find this utterly disgusting. Have gone to a handful of interviews where the principals did not have the basic decency to even let me know. Yes they are busy, but a little respect to the person who has attended the interview should be expected.

Sometimes we cant ring because it must be sanctioned etc, other times its because we are snowed under getting through the paperwork of interviews which believe me is a hell of a lot.

other times its because we are snowed under getting through the paperwork of interviews which believe me is a hell of a lot.

The Driver, I've a huge amount of respect for you based on what I know of you from boards. However, I cannot accept this as an excuse. Even an email with a bcc to the unsuccessful candidates with a one liner is sufficient. It takes 2 minutes yet relieves a massive amount of stress.

• Advertisement

I agree but we are not allowed email, HR has to look after all communication. Like I said previously, there's an awful lot of bits and bobs that mean a phone call or email isn't possible. E.g. Waiting for number 1 to accept before telling rest sorry..... No excuse but its a very tiresome system

Advertisement