Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a qualified Maths teacher with a social science degree

Options
  • 14-04-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am qualified secondary school teacher however I am only recognised to teach CSPE in Ireland as my undergraduate degree is social science. I have been both onto the National Teaching Council and Open University and the options they are giving are not great. I have been told that I can do a Honours degree in Maths or a Diploma in Higher Education in Maths both of these are offered in Open University however they cost on average about 10000-16000 pounds. This is just too expensive and I am unable to afford it. The NTC told me that an option that many teachers do is to do specific modules such as essential maths 1 and 2 or pure maths and work up the required 60 ECT credits, however if I do this they told me that they would not recognised me to teach Maths as I will only get a certificate from it and I need to have a degree. Does anyone any experience or advice on where I should go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭doc_17

Have a search there's a good few threads on here related to that topic.

But in general I think you're looking for a shortcut into becoming a qualified maths teacher? Whatever way you choose, it'll take time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

There is also a Professional Diploma in UL, which is designed to train unqualified maths teachers, but looking at the entry requirements here you need to be employed as a maths teacher before applying. As doc has mentioned there is definitely at least one thread on that here already, so that's probably best place to look for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

clurphy wrote: »
    I am qualified secondary school teacher however I am only recognised to teach CSPE in Ireland as my undergraduate degree is social science. I have been both onto the National Teaching Council and Open University and the options they are giving are not great. I have been told that I can do a Honours degree in Maths or a Diploma in Higher Education in Maths both of these are offered in Open University however they cost on average about 10000-16000 pounds. This is just too expensive and I am unable to afford it. The NTC told me that an option that many teachers do is to do specific modules such as essential maths 1 and 2 or pure maths and work up the required 60 ECT credits, however if I do this they told me that they would not recognised me to teach Maths as I will only get a certificate from it and I need to have a degree. Does anyone any experience or advice on where I should go from here?

Did you do the PDE with only CSPE as a subject?

Presumably with a social science degree you have no maths in it anyway. Is there any other subject where you would have some of the credits already?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

I've been looking into this also and I know how difficult it can be to get a straight answer! I understand where your coming from with the OU - the cost is fairly steep and for a new teacher (sorry if I'm assuming wrong), that kind of money is out of the question. Some people think that we're looking for a short cut but that's not the case - just something reasonable, time and finance wise.

Do you know about the course run by DIT? I was chatting with one of their lecturers during the week - basically they run it part time in blocks of two years - 2 yrs for a cert, 2 for an ord. degree and a final 2 for the hons. B.Sc. in maths. It's not as steep as the OU, I think about €1500 per year, spread over six years, and from what I was told, the TC will reg, you with maths once you receive the ord. degree (something about it meeting their requirements re. ECTs in certain areas of maths). It'd be a long haul but doable in the end.

What about further-afield distance learning - some of the UK universities do onlie graduate diplomas in maths and are fairly reasonable price wise - not sure where they'd lie with the teaching council though!

Let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sachor

I did social science in UCD originally and then went back to do Maths through the BA part-time (also in UCD). I paid for it on a per module basis (I did 16 modules - generally 3 per term) and completed the course in 2.5 years. I've been working as a Maths teacher for the past 3 years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sachor wrote: »
    I did social science in UCD originally and then went back to do Maths through the BA part-time (also in UCD). I paid for it on a per module basis (I did 16 modules - generally 3 per term) and completed the course in 2.5 years. I've been working as a Maths teacher for the past 3 years!

How much monies?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sachor

It was about 450 per module (5 credits). Think it's gone up to about 490 now - so approx 7,800 overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Sachor wrote: »
    It was about 450 per module (5 credits). Think it's gone up to about 490 now - so approx 7,800 overall
    You can do the masters in maths for education in Maynooth for that price, part time over two years. Far better value I'd say, given that it means you get to write M.Sc after your name afterwards (assuming you can't already) and you get a well structured course with good support from lecturers and classmates who are in the same boat.

Only runs every two years mind but I believe the course begins again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

^^ I don't think that qualifies you to teach Maths though. Or I could be mistaken.

You are. It does.

• Advertisement

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

The clue is in the course title...

:D

I didn't think so. I remember researching it before as a post grad for myself and I thought it was for Maths teachers. Since that's what I am. And I want to be a master of maths education. So title isn't all that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

RealJohn wrote: »
    You are. It does.

Have you got a link that shows that it is acceptable by the Teaching Council? They have told me on several occasions that a masters is not acceptable for registration as a maths teacher.

Have you got a link that shows that it is acceptable by the Teaching Council? They have told me on several occasions that a masters is not acceptable for registration as a maths teacher.
    I don't but as it's a taught masters rather than a research one with specific modules and formal exams on various areas of maths relevant to secondary school teachers I suspect that's what distinguishes it from a masters degree in maths.

I'm not aware of anyone who has done the course who's had any difficulty from the TC afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

RealJohn wrote: »
    I don't but as it's a taught masters rather than a research one with specific modules and formal exams on various areas of maths relevant to secondary school teachers I suspect that's what distinguishes it from a masters degree in maths.

I'm not aware of anyone who has done the course who's had any difficulty from the TC afterwards.

Well I would advise caution doing any masters without confirmation of registration from the Teaching Council. A person would not want to be in the situation where they would not be registered after completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 clurphy

I've been looking into this also and I know how difficult it can be to get a straight answer! I understand where your coming from with the OU - the cost is fairly steep and for a new teacher (sorry if I'm assuming wrong), that kind of money is out of the question. Some people think that we're looking for a short cut but that's not the case - just something reasonable, time and finance wise.

Do you know about the course run by DIT? I was chatting with one of their lecturers during the week - basically they run it part time in blocks of two years - 2 yrs for a cert, 2 for an ord. degree and a final 2 for the hons. B.Sc. in maths. It's not as steep as the OU, I think about €1500 per year, spread over six years, and from what I was told, the TC will reg, you with maths once you receive the ord. degree (something about it meeting their requirements re. ECTs in certain areas of maths). It'd be a long haul but doable in the end.

What about further-afield distance learning - some of the UK universities do onlie graduate diplomas in maths and are fairly reasonable price wise - not sure where they'd lie with the teaching council though!

Let me know how you get on!

I have looked at this and from my understanding they would need level 6 or 7 maths as an entry requirement. did you have any maths in you primary degree?

Advertisement