Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~Q&A Session on New Town Soul (Prescribed text for Leaving Cert) with Dermot Bolger~

Options
  • 08-02-2015 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from a brief discussion on New Town Soul in the T&L forum we've invited Dermot Bolger to discuss the novel. He's kindly agreed to field any questions if enough people are interested.

It would probably be best to keep things centered around teaching and learning for the Leaving Certificate Novel (rather than asking him what he had for breakfast etc.). To save time members could submit a bunch of questions on-thread and he could compile them into block answers at his convenience.

Questions are open to all, so students or indeed anyone with an interest in New Town Soul may take part.

Discussion of other people's questions is allowed but keep it on the 'short and sweet' side of things.

Usual rules apply

Happy Posting:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 just another one

Hi! When writing the novel, how did you go about creating the teenager's lives and becoming aware of the various aspects of being a teenager, and so connecting with a teenage audience? Was there any particular inspiration?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dbolger

Hi, I have two sons who were still (just about) teenagers when this book was written. I had long promised to write a novel for them, to sit alongside the novels I normally write for adults. While adults like to categorise novels very strictly (i.e. literary, crime, horror, etc.) teenagers are more open to writers playing with genres and generally categorise books are simply good or bad.

I cannot say how successful I was at capturing the excitements, anxieties, joys and tensions of teenage life – as that is a subjective question. But there is a long tradition of Dublin gothic horror going back to its heyday in the 19th century and I wanted to first tune into this (and pay homage to it), while setting what is essentially a horror story in a very real and recognisable physical contemporary world.

Too often horror genre tales can be set up in such a way that we know almost from the first page that we have entered the realm of the supernatural and are therefore not surprised by it. I wanted to bring the reader into a very real world. Therefore every street and place in the book is findable if you simply walk through the streets of Blackrock, except for the fact that the old diary is a building in another part of Dublin which is transplanted down a real cul-de-sac in Blackrock.

Having established this hopefully realistic teenage world, I then wanted to flip the story over into an alternative imaginative parallel gothic world, which – while it is paired with the real streets of Blackrock – by its nature does not make any sense in a logical world. This is because it is a work of imaginative fiction: a totally fictional fantasy world which I invented and where I make up the rules as I go along. That for me is the joy of writing. Writing for me is like doing a jigsaw puzzle where even I don’t know the final shape of what I am trying to make, so that I let my imagination take over and often it brings me somewhere totally surprising.

This does not mean that the book is totally divorced from reality, but just that it uses a story, that is non-realistic at its core, to explore real ideas, like, for example, the fact that we are all going to die and, if it come down to it, in the final moments of our life would we be willing to let go of life and disappear into oblivion (which obviously only applies for people who do not believe in religion and the afterlife) or would – like Thomas, Shane and other in that chain of dead souls – we would clasp at any chance that might allow us to live on in some form.

Hopefully teenage readers will feel that on one level they recognise the physical world in which it is set and then, on another level, will be willing to go on the imaginative journey that the novel demands on them, where is a far less clear cut universe.

Thanks for the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 just another one

dbolger wrote: »
    Hi, I have two sons who were still (just about) teenagers when this book was written. I had long promised to write a novel for them, to sit alongside the novels I normally write for adults. While adults like to categorise novels very strictly (i.e. literary, crime, horror, etc.) teenagers are more open to writers playing with genres and generally categorise books are simply good or bad.

I cannot say how successful I was at capturing the excitements, anxieties, joys and tensions of teenage life – as that is a subjective question. But there is a long tradition of Dublin gothic horror going back to its heyday in the 19th century and I wanted to first tune into this (and pay homage to it), while setting what is essentially a horror story in a very real and recognisable physical contemporary world.

Too often horror genre tales can be set up in such a way that we know almost from the first page that we have entered the realm of the supernatural and are therefore not surprised by it. I wanted to bring the reader into a very real world. Therefore every street and place in the book is findable if you simply walk through the streets of Blackrock, except for the fact that the old diary is a building in another part of Dublin which is transplanted down a real cul-de-sac in Blackrock.

Having established this hopefully realistic teenage world, I then wanted to flip the story over into an alternative imaginative parallel gothic world, which – while it is paired with the real streets of Blackrock – by its nature does not make any sense in a logical world. This is because it is a work of imaginative fiction: a totally fictional fantasy world which I invented and where I make up the rules as I go along. That for me is the joy of writing. Writing for me is like doing a jigsaw puzzle where even I don’t know the final shape of what I am trying to make, so that I let my imagination take over and often it brings me somewhere totally surprising.

This does not mean that the book is totally divorced from reality, but just that it uses a story, that is non-realistic at its core, to explore real ideas, like, for example, the fact that we are all going to die and, if it come down to it, in the final moments of our life would we be willing to let go of life and disappear into oblivion (which obviously only applies for people who do not believe in religion and the afterlife) or would – like Thomas, Shane and other in that chain of dead souls – we would clasp at any chance that might allow us to live on in some form.

Hopefully teenage readers will feel that on one level they recognise the physical world in which it is set and then, on another level, will be willing to go on the imaginative journey that the novel demands on them, where is a far less clear cut universe.

Thanks for the question.

Thank you so much Mr Bolger! I think you did a great job! It's a brilliant book (especially because I actually live in the Blackrock area!) :-D

Advertisement