Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is interview required for Supplementary panel Job??

Options
  • 27-06-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

My OH's sister works as a Primary School teacher,she was in house for dinner the other night,was giving out about how a permanent job was given out in her school,She tried to explain about the various panels in teaching...I wasn't long getting lost:) as I'm not familiar with the profession,she said how someone off 'supplementary panel' got a perm job in her school via a phonecall from the principal last week.I couldn't believe that there wouldn't be open competition for a job ....even if it had to be between people on a panel.So how does it work?......she felt that there should at least have being an interview process for the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

My OH's sister works as a Primary School teacher,she was in house for dinner the other night,was giving out about how a permanent job was given out in her school,She tried to explain about the various panels in teaching...I wasn't long getting lost:) as I'm not familiar with the profession,she said how someone off 'supplementary panel' got a perm job in her school via a phonecall from the principal last week.I couldn't believe that there wouldn't be open competition for a job ....even if it had to be between people on a panel.So how does it work?......she felt that there should at least have being an interview process for the job.

Wondering why no one replied to my query,is it as really a job should not just be given over the phone without any interview at all or is that normal/acceptable practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

That's normal in primary teaching. Interview in the formal sense is not required when filling any post (perm/ temp) for the main or supplementary panel. That's set to change in terms of principals interviewing candidates from the sup panel- in fact some are interviewing those candidates as it is- mainly the ones who are already conducting interviews for rollover temp jobs that now need an interview each year (only fair I think).
    The principal you referred to May already know the teacher they took from the sup panel- that does happen. Why interview then if they know the teacher and no obligation to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

koriko wrote: »
    That's normal in primary teaching. Interview in the formal sense is not required when filling any post (perm/ temp) for the main or supplementary panel. That's set to change in terms of principals interviewing candidates from the sup panel- in fact some are interviewing those candidates as it is- mainly the ones who are already conducting interviews for rollover temp jobs that now need an interview each year (only fair I think).
    The principal you referred to May already know the teacher they took from the sup panel- that does happen. Why interview then if they know the teacher and no obligation to interview.

Thanks for reply Koriko...still find it hard to believe that in terms of getting 'best' candidate for job that there wouldn't have to be a formal interview....passed on your answer to the sis in law...she said straight away that there were over 30 people on the supp panel and even if the principal had hand picked the person who got job surely at least 5 or 6 of the 30+ deserved a shot at an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

From what I can gather and I'm pretty sure I have it arse ways, when a permanent job comes up , if there are people on the panel, the principal had to take them first, regardless of who is working temporary in the school at the time.
    If there are a number of people on the panel then the principal has their choice.
    I know of some schools that have had interviews with a number of candidates but it's not uncommon for them to get "recommendations " from other principals and pick that person before another school snaps them up. I suppose it's a way of making the panel clear quicker and stops all the candidates going to interview after interview .

Advertisement