Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Course Of Irish History

• 05-07-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭

Has anybody read this book (Moody and Martin) and if so what are their thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've never read it cover to cover but I often used it while researching topics during my undergrad and MA days. I believe it has become a little bit dated considering some of the excellent general tomes that have been published by various excellent historians of the last twenty years or so. Did you watch that five part TV documentary that Fergal Keane presented a few years ago called 'The Story Of Ireland', it is in a similar vein to that right??

Why do you ask? I'm hoping tis could be the moment you pick up a book you haven't read before, pity it's 50 years old:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭eire4

I've never read it cover to cover but I often used it while researching topics during my undergrad and MA days. I believe it has become a little bit dated considering some of the excellent general tomes that have been published by various excellent historians of the last twenty years or so. Did you watch that five part TV documentary that Fergal Keane presented a few years ago called 'The Story Of Ireland', it is in a similar vein to that right??

Why do you ask? I'm hoping tis could be the moment you pick up a book you haven't read before, pity it's 50 years old:pac:

Haha no worries Swiper I will get there and start digging into that big pile of books I have that I haven't read before. Not yet though I still have some more re reading to do:)

I was asking about The Course of Irish History as looking through the book it does seem a little dated and maybe slanted towards Irish revisionism.

Thanks for the info on the Fergal Keane documentary. I have not seen that one. Will have to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Thomas_.

eire4 wrote: »
    Haha no worries Swiper I will get there and start digging into that big pile of books I have that I haven't read before. Not yet though I still have some more re reading to do:)

I was asking about The Course of Irish History as looking through the book it does seem a little dated and maybe slanted towards Irish revisionism.

Thanks for the info on the Fergal Keane documentary. I have not seen that one. Will have to check it out.

I´ve used that book the same way like the poster Swiper mentioned it. The chapters provide an overview on specific historical periods and events. But for more Details one has to take other literature which goes more in depth on the subject. It´s not a bad read though.

I´ve "The Story of Ireland" by Fergal Keane on DVD, after I´ve watched it first on YouTube and it looks well balanced to me. Well, as balanced as it can be regarding the history of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭eire4

Thomas_. wrote: »
    I´ve used that book the same way like the poster Swiper mentioned it. The chapters provide an overview on specific historical periods and events. But for more Details one has to take other literature which goes more in depth on the subject. It´s not a bad read though.

I´ve "The Story of Ireland" by Fergal Keane on DVD, after I´ve watched it first on YouTube and it looks well balanced to me. Well, as balanced as it can be regarding the history of Ireland.

Thanks for that. I think I am going to add the Story of Ireland to my watch list and give the Course of Irish history a miss.

Advertisement