Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business studies

• 01-07-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

This is a question for anyone who might teach Business studies at junior cert level. I have to teach it this year and have no idea or what is involved. I have heard of plans to change the course but am unsure if this will come into place this year. Is there an assignment to be done before junior cert exam or is it 100% exam based.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved to a more appropriate forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

havnt a clue but some places to start might be...

Syllabus (NCCA website has all syllabi)
    Exam Papers / marking schemes / examiners reports highlighting most common questions answered and ways questions were answered.
    Revision books (less stress more success)
    Might be a subject association website!
    Look at.
    Subject inspection reports (can be very general though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

mollytev32 wrote: »
    This is a question for anyone who might teach Business studies at junior cert level. I have to teach it this year and have no idea or what is involved. I have heard of plans to change the course but am unsure if this will come into place this year. Is there an assignment to be done before junior cert exam or is it 100% exam based.

Thank you

Hi mollytev32,

I am a JC Business Studies Teacher. I agree with what Gebgbegb said.

As you mentioned there is talk of changing the course with the introduction of the new JC but they are still working on the specifics, so I doubt any changes will be in place before September. The exam is 100% exam at the moment.

There are 2 papers for Higher Level students and 1 paper for Ordinary level students.

There is a subject association website, it's www.bstai.ie (Business Studies Teachers Association of Ireland) and they have various branches around the Country depending on what County you are based in.

Essentially, there are 3 main components to the Business Studies course:
    1. Business (Theory) 2. Economics 3. Accounting

Business can be very theoretical and it can seem like alot of information for the students to absorb but most of the content is genuinely interesting if you can relate it to the students daily lives.

Economics, again is theory based, but there are also mathematical calculations such as GDP or GNP.

Then, Accounting is predominately figure related, such as double entry bookeeping (ledger accounts) and club/farm accounts.

If you have any more questions, please post here or PM me.

Best of luck with your preparations and teaching Business Studies this year!

Compgeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 flower92

Hi

I too am due to start teaching junior cert business studies for the first time this year. Does anyone have any advice on which textbook to use? There seems to be so many possibilities that Im not sure which one is best? Any advice greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

flower92 wrote: »
    Hi

I too am due to start teaching junior cert business studies for the first time this year. Does anyone have any advice on which textbook to use? There seems to be so many possibilities that Im not sure which one is best? Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Contact the suppliers and they'll send you out teacher's copies and you can choose when you see them. You'll just need the school's roll number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

At this stage you most likely won't have a choice in which textbook to use. Schools would have sent out book lists to parents last May so all kids would have theirs by now, you need to contact the school and ask them which one they have on the book list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

seavill wrote: »
    At this stage you most likely won't have a choice in which textbook to use. Schools would have sent out book lists to parents last May so all kids would have theirs by now, you need to contact the school and ask them which one they have on the book list.

True. Booklist may be on their website .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Avery

Hi

The first 10-15 chapters in most books deal with the "Business of Living" section of the syllabus. Start with the chapters on income and expenditure and some basic simple budgetting. There is a fair bit of room for good activities on these topics with the students. Also doing the chapter about consumers and consumer laws is a good one to introduce them to the subject. There are some good resources on the pdst.ie website that are worth looking at.

Advertisement