Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about conspiracy theories in general.

Options
  • 22-06-2009 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Has there ever been a conspiracy theory that turned out to be true? In the past 50 years say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

maybe ,maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kinda depends on what you class to be a conspiracy theory. But generally, if people are debating it on a forum using links which they searched for on Google, then chances are, no, they haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Kinda depends on what you class to be a conspiracy theory.

Contrails and flouride water and the moon hoax etc... that level of conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Overblood wrote: »
    Contrails and flouride water and the moon hoax etc... that level of conspiracy theory.

Thing is, if any of those had been proven true, we'd all know about it and it wouldn't be a theory any more. Same goes for others on that level. As for older ones, some may have been proven to be true, but without the internet and technological advances, I doubt there were a lot of well thought out conspiracy theories more than 20 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

has it been proven that some governmnts lied and 'conspired' to lie to the population for its own ends??

is that the question?

well WMD's spring to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, the WMD's seems to be the biggest one. Would Watergate count at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

stevejazzx wrote: »

Wondering how many on that list were theorised about before they became public. For instance the Enron one, didnt see much chatter about that until it went public.

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, the WMD's seems to be the biggest one. Would Watergate count at all?

Yeah watergate was the first one that sprang to mind then the tonkin incident, but I wanted to lead off with something that is within the lifetime of evertyone reading this thread.

BTW if 9/11 and the invasion of iraq are outside your timeline congratulations on your proficency with the interwebs.

and Beware the Bear;):D:D:D:D:D

Lads you're giving me links to lists of conspiracies ie "a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act."

I want to know about conspiracy theories that turned out to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Overblood wrote: »
    Lads you're giving me links to lists of conspiracies ie "a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act."

I want to know about conspiracy theories that turned out to be true.

I think you should read that list again - some the ones which were found to be true have wide reaching implications like governments planning to overthrow foreign regeimes and CIA mind programs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

is there anyone out there that still believe's JFK was killed by LHO acting alone?... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    is there anyone out there that still believe's JFK was killed by LHO acting alone?... :confused:
    Has it been proven otherwise?

stevejazzx wrote: »
    I think you should read that list again - some the ones which were found to be true have wide reaching implications like governments planning to overthrow foreign regeimes and CIA mind programs...

How can it be ¨found to be¨ true if none of them were theories in the first place? I see Julius Cesar´s murder is there. Was there a big conspiracy theory in the years before predicting his murder, and then was it ¨proved¨ when he was eventually murdered?

I´m on about the likes of the moon hoax conspiracy theory. This theory has been going for years. Imagine if we could take hi-res photos of the landing sites, and discovered that there was no trace of any astronaut ever being there. That would be a conspiracy theory proven.

So I´d like an example of:

Conspiracy Theory ---> Proven

not

Conspiracy ---> Discovered after the fact

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

humanji wrote: »
    Has it been proven otherwise?

I can't buy the "magic bullet" thing anyway

ah but a lot of it is finding the conspray after the fact, I'm sure some people theorised that the US would use a false lag operation to become embroiled in Vietnam, and the tonkin incident happened, some people theorised that this was the false flag operation, Governments denied it and eventually it all came out in the wash many years later.

many people theorised tht the WMD story was mostly bollox, and thetruth is seeping out. it has been theorised for yeas that the CIA is one of the bigest players inthe internatonal drugs business, and lo and behold about two years ago one of their planes crash lands with massive quantities of cocaine on board, this plane had also been used in their rendition flights, you know where people theorised tht they were abusing loopholes ininternational laws to violate peoplesbasc human rights all inthe name on the 'War for Terra' and guess what, thatwas proven too.

is that what you were after, or were you lookin for something a little more outthere like Hitler lived in the Nazis secret antartic base til te seventies, the Jews orchestrated the Holocaust for their own ends, Mt st Helens was a huge military project and the first test (albeit miscalibrated) of the US armys seret Earthquake machine????????

Advertisement