Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened the Kursk

Options
  • 10-06-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭

What happened the Kursk
    I know there was some discussion and links before. RTE 2 are showing a docmentary at 700pm tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭ilivetolearn

For those not in the know:
    K-141 Kursk was an Oscar II class nuclear cruise missile submarine of the Russian Navy, lost with all hands when it sank in the Barents Sea on August 12, 2000. Kursk, full name Атомная подводная лодка "Курск" [АПЛ "Курск"] in Russian, was a Project 949A Антей (Antey, Antaeus but was also known by its NATO reporting name of Oscar II). It was named after the Russian city Kursk, around which the largest tank battle in military history, the Battle of Kursk, took place in 1943. One of the first vessels built after the fall of the Soviet Union, it was commissioned into the Russian Navy's Northern Fleet.

Full Wikipedia Link

I could be wrong here but I believe the show was already broadcast on BBC. Heres a link to its transcript.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The American and Norwegian goverments both offered the Russians assistance in trying to save the lifes of the crew trapped in the submarine but refused .By the time they did except any help it was to late

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

For those not in the know:

I could be wrong here but I believe the show was already broadcast on BBC. Heres a link to its transcript.

Yeah it was. The opening caption was the BBC logo. The link for the show was posted on here a few months ago. Just thought id remind ppl who hadnt seen it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

al lot of evidence points to the Memphis and Toledo harassin it during an exercise, resultin in the Toledo pokin a hole in the torpedo bay where a Squall misile was being armed for a demonstration to the chinese.

Most suspect part is that they lefft the nose of the sub underwater,

thats where the evidence is, Halliburton were tasked with the lift, and The US Govt gifted Russia a few bilion the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

al lot of evidence points to the Memphis and Toledo harassin it during an exercise, resultin in the Toledo pokin a hole in the torpedo bay where a Squall misile was being armed for a demonstration to the chinese.

thats where the evidence is, Halliburton were tasked with the lift, and The US Govt gifted Russia a few bilion the next day

Where are you getting this from exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

You don't think the Soviet/Russian Navies history of badly trained crew, shoddy constructed and I'll repaired and maintained subs have anything to do with it then?

It's been discussed before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055351742&page=3&highlight=kursk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I got an email of the Kursk durin the week, after it had the snout trimmedoff and was raised, I'll post em tomorrow, where are you gettin this notion that it was some kind of shoddy halfassed tincan, this thing was huge, as pieces of machinery go te Kursk was impressive, so they had money troubles after it launched, but that does not diminish the achievement of buidin the damm thing, feck we havent been to the moon in over thirty years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Poor guys, Not a nice way to go.:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

I got an email of the Kursk durin the week, after it had the snout trimmedoff and was raised, I'll post em tomorrow, where are you gettin this notion that it was some kind of shoddy halfassed tincan, this thing was huge, as pieces of machinery go te Kursk was impressive, so they had money troubles after it launched, but that does not diminish the achievement of buidin the damm thing, feck we havent been to the moon in over thirty years

The Russians/Soviets have a long history of rushing things into production in order to close the tech gap. It's one of the reasons the Wall fell. The Soviet Union was virtually bankrupt trying to keep up with the western technology . Remember Reagan's Star Wars defence program anybody.

That's not to say the Soviets/Russians weren't innovative and sometime brilliant in regards to technology. The fact of the matter remains that manufacturing techniques were/are not as good as those in the west, maintenance and crew training is also below what would be expected in a western military and that goes for all branches of their military. I would also argue that the Admiralty in Russia is sill operating on the old Soviet view in regards to human losses.

What about the letters the dying men wrote to loved ones?. None of the mentioned other subs raming them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/norway/1372059/Doomed-sailors-letter-from-the-Kursk.html

http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/kursk.html

This is not the first incident with an Oscar II class sub.

"On 26 January 1998 a moored nuclear-powered Oscar II submarine suffered a cooling system accident. During routine tests aboard a cooling system pipe broke, releasing ammonia and nitrogen gas into the compartment. A total of 5 crew members were injured, one of whom, a Captain of the 3rd Rank, died two days later. The Oscar II submarine was reportedly the K-512 St.Georgy Pobeditel [formerly named Tomsk]. This eleventh unit of the 'Oscar II' SSGN class had been launched in July 1995 despite irregular materiel and component delivery problems."

While I concede that the Kursk wasn't a Tub I also must point out that it was far from the Red October that the media seem to think it was.

RIP to the men that the Russian Admiralty considered expendable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/894597.stm

Advertisement