Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spy bugs may be deployed for 2012 Olympics by UK police.

• 08-06-2009 5:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"BRITISH police are studying Chinese-style surveillance tactics as they prepare security for the 2012 London Olympics, a leaked Scotland Yard report has revealed.

The report, marked “restricted”, reveals that among the “Big Brother” tactics deployed at last summer’s Beijing Games was the installation of miniature microphones in thousands of taxis.

The bugs transmitted passengers’ conversations to a police control room. There, officers could activate disabling devices to stop the cabs if they suspected criminal activity".

When the Olympics are finished would the authorities remove these devices from Taxis and other forms of public transport? Like hell, they will use the Olympics as a testing ground and then roll them out.

They will be able to match voices with transmitted details from registered smart cards, ie Oyster and other credit cards etc using RFID to place faces on voices inside busses, Just as they can do with live CCTV which is currently being tested on London busses. People also don't realise that most 3G mobile phones can be turned into listening devices even when switched off.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/london_2012/article6446271.ece

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

They will be able to match voices with transmitted details from registered smart cards, ie Oyster and other credit cards etc using RFID to place faces on voices inside busses, Just as they can do with live CCTV which is currently being tested on London busses. People also don't realise that most 3G mobile phones can be turned into listening devices even when switched off.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/london_2012/article6446271.ece

Didnt see that bit in the article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Artice:

- UK looking at measures taken by Chinese.
    - Report says lessons to be learned
    - Report also says that the question of surveillance vs. privacy is an open debate which needs to be had in this context.

RTDH

- UK looking at measures taken by China
    - UK to implement the same measures
    - UK to not remove measures after end of games
    - UK to add any amount of additional capability

That's quite a bit of reading between the lines, there.
    You also seem to have skipped over some lines, whilst reading between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭polishpaddy

Run_to_da_hills how do they match a voice with a face using rfid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

bonkey wrote: »
    Artice:

- UK looking at measures taken by Chinese.
    - Report says lessons to be learned
    - Report also says that the question of surveillance vs. privacy is an open debate which needs to be had in this context.

RTDH

- UK looking at measures taken by China
    - UK to implement the same measures
    - UK to not remove measures after end of games
    - UK to add any amount of additional capability

That's quite a bit of reading between the lines, there.
    You also seem to have skipped over some lines, whilst reading between them.

Funnily I was at a BBQ with the head of olympic security for TFL (transport for London) at the weekend.

Diogenes wrote: »
    Funnily I was at a BBQ with the head of olympic security for TFL (transport for London) at the weekend.

Check your hand and forehead. You'd never know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

So you are in on it!!
    I knew it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Is there a reason your telling us this? Did you have a conversation with this man/woman with regard to the 2012 olympics? You wanna share it with the rest of us if you did?..Its nice to hear you were at a BBQ at the weekend were the burgers cooked properly? What about the hotdogs were the juicy? Did you have some salad with your burger?......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Stay on topic folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

WakeUp wrote: »
    Is there a reason your telling us this? Did you have a conversation with this man/woman with regard to the 2012 olympics?

Yes we did, though I didn't want to go into the more "lively", ahem, "ideas" that are floating around here.

A throughly nice bloke, he's from Cork, and the older brother of a friend of mine.

I'm just demonstrating that the powers that be, don't live in Ivory towers, and are often just regular people.
    You wanna share it with the rest of us if you did?..Its nice to hear you were at a BBQ at the weekend were the burgers cooked properly? What about the hotdogs were the juicy? Did you have some salad with your burger?......

Yes.

Didn't cook any.

Two kinds.

I'm from cork and know the guy your on about.
    ;)

• Advertisement

Yes we did, though I didn't want to go into the more "lively", ahem, "ideas" that are floating around here.

A throughly nice bloke, he's from Cork, and the older brother of a friend of mine.

I'm just demonstrating that the powers that be, don't live in Ivory towers, and are often just regular people.

Ah come on now your not demonstrating anything really. What your doing is telling us you were at a BBQ with some dude who happens to be involved in the security for the Olympics in 2012. We just have to take your word for it Im sure he is a nice a bloke and all that and your telling the truth but demonstration?..I don’t think so.

These “lively” “ideas” you speak off what do you mean by that? Are you referring to the “ideas” being discussed on this particular thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Run_to_da_hills how do they match a voice with a face using rfid?
    Simple, The average London Bus has 8 built in fish eye CCTV cameras, one "external" foreword facing and 7 inboard, currently the authorities & TFL are experimenting with live CCTV on certain routes. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7678855.stm

It would not take much to hand over the live Oyster card system to the authorities (Just like live access to the congestion charge ANPR has been handed over since 2007)

When someone tags on and enters a bus with their registered card the authorities can easily place voices along with names to faces.

Very interesting. So when you get onto a bus,the reader scans your oyster card.So they know who is on the bus- is this in real time?And I take it there's microphones in the cameras?

Just dont use an Oyster card then, fairly simple way to beat anti terrorism units.

Just dont use an Oyster card then, fairly simple way to beat anti terrorism units.
    We are not on about beating anyone, we're talking about the technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Simple, The average London Bus has 8 built in fish eye CCTV cameras, one "external" foreword facing and 7 inboard, currently the authorities & TFL are experimenting with live CCTV on certain routes. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7678855.stm

It would not take much to hand over the live Oyster card system to the authorities (Just like live access to the congestion charge ANPR has been handed over since 2007)

When someone tags on and enters a bus with their registered card the authorities can easily place voices along with names to faces.

So they're looking at certain surveillance, and if they were to introduce this other stuff, which has not been mentioned in any media, it'd be heavy Orwellian stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Undergod wrote: »
    So they're looking at certain surveillance, and if they were to introduce this other stuff, which has not been mentioned in any media, it'd be heavy Orwellian stuff.
    London Metropolitan Police have been using Oyster card records to track individuals for several years so far although currently they must request permission from TFL for these.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4800490.stm

come out come out where ever you are I have a couple of questions about these lively ideas you speak of.

Advertisement