Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shows have been cancelled...and then uncancelled?

Options
  • 28-08-2011 5:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Can you think of any?....off the top of my head Family Guy, a more recent example was obviously Breaking In. Was Happy Endings cancelled and then brought back to life?

While Dollhouse never got officially axed i think the only reason it got season 2 was the massive cost reductions, Greek also barely scraped a season 4 by slashing the budget.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Friday Night Lights
    Never got large ratings but did get dedicated fans

Jericho was axed by CBS but they later said the campaign to get it back was the largest they'd seen
    Jericho was a bit of a strange show, the concept was clever, it could easily have failed but somehow it worked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think chuck was cancelled for a while before it was brought back ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Rosewell was saved by the fans also, twice i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember when the Band Of Brothers series was first supposed to be screened on BBC 1 at peak time saturday night but for some reason they decided to pull it back to BBC 2 at slightly later time .Then realising the viewing figures on 2 for it very high ,decided nearly two years later to show a repeat on BBC 1 as originally planned .

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Futurama got cancelled in 2003 and was un-cancelled in 2008.

Cagney & Lacey got cancelled 4 times during its run but kept coming back.

JAG was cancelled after the 1st season but brought back on a different network.

Scrubs got cancelled after season 7 but came back for 2 more seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Star Trek folks, STAR TREK!!!

The original series was cancelled after 2 seasons, but a grassroots fan campaign got it brought back for a third. Finally cancelled after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Futurama got cancelled in 2003 and was un-cancelled in 2008.

Cagney & Lacey got cancelled 4 times during its run but kept coming back.

JAG was cancelled after the 1st season but brought back on a different network.

Scrubs got cancelled after season 7 but came back for 2 more seasons.
    There was no Season 9 of Scrubs. It ended at Season 8. There was no such show as Scrubs:Interns. That's the way it should stay!

Chuck was never cancelled. It was always on the verge of cancellation, but always escaped it.

Futurama and Family Guy are probably the two obvious ones that came back from cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Family Guy surely has to have the record? its been cancelled and then brought back over a 24hr period I remember reading once. It might have even been the lenght of the episode that was currently playing on tv at the time that the network pulled it and then commissioned it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Two and a half men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gerry.H

Dallas was cancelled and... oh sorry that was Bobby Ewing. He died and rose again from the dead!!! Jesus!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Latchy wrote: »
    I remember when the Band Of Brothers series was first supposed to be screened on BBC 1 at peak time saturday night but for some reason they decided to pull it back to BBC 2 at slightly later time .Then realising the viewing figures on 2 for it very high ,decided nearly two years later to show a repeat on BBC 1 as originally planned .
    not relevant

Probably the best success story is Firefly - while it didn't get a second season, the fact they got a movie deal with Serenity was pretty impressive, even more so the fact that it was an amazing movie. Committing to a feature length movie that cost millions was a great success story I feel.

Didn't Jericho finish out it's second season but fans were so unhappy that they did a reshoot shortly afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Holding out hope for Deadwood :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Doctor Who! Cancelled in 1989, brought back in 2005. The 2005 is not a re-boot either, it's a continuation so thus an uncancelling.

ixoy wrote: »
    Doctor Who! Cancelled in 1989, brought back in 2005. The 2005 is not a re-boot either, it's a continuation so thus an uncancelling.
    Was gonna mention Dr. Who, but was it actually cancelled or did it simply come to an end?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

oh it was cancelled as it went to crap, sure at one stage the baddy of the week was a giant Licourice Allsorts man

HappinessPatrol1.jpg

I think Sliders was cancelled but a postal campaign brought it back for the last 2 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Reaper was cancelled and then there was talk of it being brought back by a different channel. Did anything ever come of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wasnt Medium cancelled and bought back by another network?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Wasnt Medium cancelled and bought back by another network?
    Yep! Jumped from NBC to CBS for one season I believe. When it was cancelled.

Damages jumped from FX to DirectTV to be saved.

Southland jumped from FOX to TNT to be saved.

Stargate:SG-1 moved from Showtime to the Sci-Fi channel to be saved.

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep! Jumped from NBC to CBS for one season I believe. When it was cancelled.

Damages jumped from FX to DirectTV to be saved.

Southland jumped from NBC to TNT to be saved.

Stargate:SG-1 moved from Showtime to the Sci-Fi channel to be saved.

FYP :)

• Advertisement

I recently learned The Life and Times of Tim was cancelled this year by HBO, only to be decided to give it another Season. Season 3 begins December 19. Such an underrated little comdey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I know you wont agree with me on this Richard but hopefully Stargate Universe will become one such show.

token56 wrote: »
    I know you wont agree with me on this Richard but hopefully Stargate Universe will become one such show.

Never gonna happen, sorry....the actors have moved on to other projects, it's too expensive + the ratings didn't earn enough to justify renewal.

Advertisement