Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Year round Dublin-Reykjavik coming in 2015

• 01-10-2014 9:48am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Icelandic carrier Wow Air is to launch a new year-round Dublin-Reykjavik service from next summer.

The new route, the first scheduled service between the two cities, launches on 2 June 2015 and will operate Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, using either an Airbus A320 or A319 aircraft. The flight time will be around two hours 20 minutes. Flights will depart Keflavik Airport at 06.20 arriving in Dublin at 09.40, while the return flight will depart Dublin at 12.10, arriving Keflavik at 13.35.

Tickets for the service will go on sale later today.

http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/47802-wow-air-to-operate-new/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Awesome :D Thanks for the info...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

WOW need 2.5 hours to turnaround an a 320?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

WOW need 2.5 hours to turnaround an a 320?

Yeah seems very long. I originally thought it was 11.10 departing Dublin as its on their website. But I think thats Reykjavik time. So it would be 12.10.

Always nice to see a new route. Hope it works out for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Great news. I have friends there who want us to return. The dub-man-kef with Easyjet and an overnight hotel, route was a pain in the butt.

I wonder though will they get the traffic to support it?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

easyjet are starting to fly to Iceland from Belfast later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They have an impressive route so far for such a small country

airline-wow-air-image-1.jpg

cht-Top-13-Routes1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

EasyJet are starting one from Belfast later this year or early next year, can't remember which...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Kef's pretty distant from Reykyavik, about 50 km. For anyone thinking of a quick break it's not really worth a day trip once you add-in over two hours on a bus on top of five hours flying.

Best to stay one night at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

It is nowhere near 2 hours on a bus! Maybe on a bicycle it is 2 hours.
    It is about 45 minutes max on a bus the taxis would do it even faster. Plus it is a really interesting drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

arubex wrote: »
    Kef's pretty distant from Reykyavik, about 50 km. For anyone thinking of a quick break it's not really worth a day trip once you add-in over two hours on a bus on top of five hours flying.

Given there aren't two flights a day, not staying overnight isn't an option, so I'm not sure who you think wouldn't be staying overnight?

• Advertisement

Five hours flying time ? with a flight time of approximately 2 hours 20 minutes.

Two hours on a bus ?
    The trip to Reykjavík will take approximately 45 minute
    http://www.kefairport.is/English/Transportation/Buses/

Day Trip ? WOW air will launch its new Dublin route on June 2, 2015 and will operate the service three times per week using either an Airbus A320 or A319 aircraft. Flights will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays,

Did you read the first post ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Wow :)

Whoa :confused:

Whats with the minimum 2 seat availability ?

Lapin wrote: »
    Wow :)

Whoa :confused:

Whats with the minimum 2 seat availability ?

I would read that as that there are at least two seats available at the prices quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

The website is unnavigable on a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Tabnabs wrote: »
    They have an impressive route so far for such a small country

airline-wow-air-image-1.jpg

cht-Top-13-Routes1.png

After their economy's collapse there's a big push on for the tourist bucks now, check out this video....

This is the style of advert we should be doing, not a single leprechaun, ould sod or Guinness skidmark in sight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

€29 for checked luggage, I'd rather go via the UK than fly on an airline who charges like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I have always wanted to visit Iceland. Now I know where im going next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Stinicker wrote: »
    €29 for checked luggage, I'd rather go via the UK than fly on an airline who charges like this.

How can you go via UK without paying checked baggage fees?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How can you go via UK without paying checked baggage fees?

British Airways Dublin-Heathrow
    Icelandair Heathrow-Reykjavik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

lxflyer wrote: »

True but I suspect the additional taxes would exceed baggage charges, maybe not though.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expensive way to make a point of principle, though

Five hours flying time ? with a flight time of approximately 2 hours 20 minutes.

Two hours on a bus ? http://www.kefairport.is/English/Transportation/Buses/

Err, yes - you have to come back too!

My issue is with WOW advertising this as Reykyavik. It is not. Reykyavik is an entirely different airport:

http://www.isavia.is/english/airports/reykjavik-international-airport/

It's pretty much the same trickery as "Prestwick for Glasgow" used to be.

In the rest of Europe we've finally bashed the airlines into actually advertising their destination airport.

But feel free to take the flight and then spend half as long again on a bus. It's your time.

Err, yes - you have to come back too!

My issue is with WOW advertising this as Reykyavik. It is not. Reykyavik is an entirely different airport:

http://www.isavia.is/english/airports/reykjavik-international-airport/

It's pretty much the same trickery as "Prestwick for Glasgow".

In the rest of Europe we've finally bashed the airlines into actually advertising their destination airport.

You're still ignoring the fact that there is only one flight three days a week.

It is impossible to do a day trip and no one ever suggested it, so I'm struggling to see where you are getting the idea in the first place.

As far as the airport name is concerned, you'd better have a word with every other airline that flies there as they ALL call it Reykjavik.

You're still ignoring the fact that there is only one flight three days a week.

It is impossible to do a day trip and no one ever suggested it, so I'm struggling to see where you are getting the idea in the first place.

Yes, I did misread that. Not quite sure how I thought there were return trips. Oh well, I enjoyed the rant anyway.
    As far as the airport name is concerned, you'd better have a word with every other airline that flies there as they ALL call it Reykjavik.

We shouldn't encourage them. We managed to break the trickery for other destinations eg. Charleroi at 55 km distant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

durandal01 wrote: »
    After their economy's collapse there's a big push on for the tourist bucks now, check out this video....

This is the style of advert we should be doing, not a single leprechaun, ould sod or Guinness skidmark in sight.

Awful advert in my opinion. The music made me want to switch it off as soon as possible. Not to mention having to look at a man's bare arse!

We shouldn't encourage them. We managed to break the trickery for other destinations eg. Charleroi at 55 km distant.

Well given it's been called that for over 40 years that's going to be a bit difficult.

As I said every single airline refers to it as Reykjavik - so it's hardly something new.

Given the relative size of the island, and lack of other major conurbations, it's pretty immaterial I would suggest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

You are both correct but both stubbornly incorrect at the same time.

Keflavik (KEF) and Reykjavik (RKV) are two separate airports.
    The latter is close to the city (2 km), the former is 50 km from the city but still serves the Icelandic capital. Its like comparing LCY to STN. (LHR/LGW being too convenient to London for my comparison)

From Wiki:
    Keflavík International Airport, also known as Reykjavík-Keflavík Airport, is the largest airport in Iceland and the country's main hub for international transportation. It is situated 50 km (31 mi) south-west of Reykjavík. Most international journeys to or from Iceland pass through this airport.The main carriers at Keflavík are Icelandair and WOW Air, who make the airport their main hub.

Reykjavík Airport is the main hub of Air Iceland and Eagle Air.
    Possessing rather short runways, it normally only serves flights within Iceland and to Greenland and the Faroe Islands, and small international charters, ferry flights over the Atlantic and private flights. When weather conditions are not good enough in Keflavík Airport for landings, aircraft like the Boeing 757-200 and smaller divert to Reykjavik Airport.

Tenger wrote: »
    You are both correct but both stubbornly incorrect at the same time.

Keflavik (KEF) and Reykjavik (RKV) are two separate airports.
    The latter is close to the city (2 km), the former is 50 km from the city but still serves the Icelandic capital. Its like comparing LCY to STN. (LHR/LGW being too convenient to London for my comparison)

From Wiki:
    Most international flights use Keflavík International Airport, 50 km out of town, which can handle practically all aircraft. Reykjavík Airport is the main hub of Air Iceland and Eagle Air.
    Possessing rather short runways, it normally only serves flights within Iceland and to Greenland and the Faroe Islands, and small international charters, ferry flights over the Atlantic and private flights. When weather conditions are not good enough in Keflavík Airport for landings, aircraft like the Boeing 757-200 and smaller divert to Reykjavik Airport.

Well to be fair my point is that it's by just WOW that sell it as Reykjavik as was implied in the post - it's every single airline, so it's not quite the same as picking out a Ryanair example.

It has been described as Reykjavik for as long as I've been on this earth if not longer!!

• Advertisement

Well to be fair my point is that it's not just WOW that sell it as Reykjavik as was implied in the post - it's every single airline......

It has been described as Reykjavik for as long as I've been on this earth if not longer!!
    I never really knew that KEF served the city. I knew both airports were there and that KEF is a former NATO base used as a diversion field for T/A flights. Had never looked to go to Iceland so never actually looked into destinations and how to get there.

I never really knew that KEF served the city. I knew both airports were there and that KEF is a former NATO base used as a diversion field for T/A flights. Had never looked to go to Iceland so never actually looked into destinations and how to get there.

As a long term student of airline timetables (since the mid-1970s), I can happily dig out timetables from the 1970s in my attic that would have described the destination as "Reykjavik".

While I do appreciate the difference, I've never seen it described in publicity/timetables as anything else. The airport code (KEF) may well be included but it has always been marketed internationally by airlines as Reykjavik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I stayed in the Radisson Blu Saga hotel in Rekyavik. It looks over directly at Rekyavik airport. All of the traffic I saw there seemed to be commuter EI -regional kind of stuff. I did not see any jets at all.

Back to Keflavik, I saw plenty of 757's and various airbus but no commuters.

From memory, the airport was a straight run to the city, on roads that were desolate. We were met at the airport so didnt need transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Was in Iceland a few weeks ago. Keflavik is the main airport that you would be flying into as it only seems to serve larger plans on international routes and is a lot busier than I was expecting. Its a 45/50 min max bus trip to the center of Rekjavik.

Rekjavik airport only serves smaller planes, mainly ones flying to other parts of Iceland. They fly in low over the city so I dont think large planes would land there

As a long term student of airline timetables (since the mid-1970s), I can happily dig out timetables from the 1970s in my attic that would have described the destination as "Reykjavik".....

No need to support your (true) statement. I now know it is the way it is. Just that I was blissfully unaware, had only ever been aware of KEF as a diversion point. Never looked into the Icelandic air transport situation. (probably slightly mislead by re-reasing of 'Red Storm Rising', KEF only referenced in the novel as a military target!)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

No need to support your (true) statement. I now know it is the way it is. Just that I was blissfully unaware, had only ever been aware of KEF as a diversion point. Never looked into the Icelandic air transport situation. (probably slightly mislead by re-reasing of 'Red Storm Rising', KEF only referenced in the novel as a military target!)

Funny you should mention "Red Storm Rising". That's the book that first piqued my interest in Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

i hope they get the traffic they need to sustain the route.

I wouldn't have thought that Iceland would be a major destination for Irish passengers, but of course I could be wrong.

Id imagine the Icelanders might like to come here more that we will go there!

I wish them well though.

Iceland is on my list for the Northern lights and a bit of trekking. So there's one Irish passenger anyway!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

i hope they get the traffic they need to sustain the route.

I wouldn't have thought that Iceland would be a major destination for Irish passengers, but of course I could be wrong.

Id imagine the Icelanders might like to come here more that we will go there!

I wish them well though.

Iceland is on my list for the Northern lights and a bit of trekking. So there's one Irish passenger anyway!!

I imagine it will be very popular! Iceland is a relatively "new" holiday/weekend destination only becoming popular and attracting regular tourists in the last few years really i think it will do well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Iceland is on my list for the Northern lights

Thats what will sell it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Excellent look forward to that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I've always wanted to go to Iceland for a few months. Only problem is that there were no direct flights. EasyJet announced Belfast flights, but Flybe's Birmingham - Reykjavik flight leaves 20 minutes before the Waterford flight lands. Now though it's a different story :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Good for Dublin but in Northern Ireland Easyjet have started a 90 minute service so that should be good enough for me.

I am not sure if I will ever use it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Reykjavik airport is 800 miles away.

If it takes 5 hours to fly 800 miles you must not be on an airliner.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

owenc wrote: »
    Reykjavik airport is 800 miles away.

If it takes 5 hours to fly 800 miles you must not be on an airliner.

He was talking about the potential for a day trip: outbound + return = 5 hours flying time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bo91

Very happy to hear this , hate having to go to Gatwick for Iceland, nice and direct now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

sorry to burst your bubble but you can't buy a connecting flight from Dublin via LHR to Reykjavik. That means not only you will be overpaying for your un-connected flights, you will also have to go through a hassle of checking out and back in your luggage at LHR.

We already had this topic before, the only proper connection is via SAS at CPH and it's super expensive.

I ended up going by Ryanair/Easyjet via Bristol this summer, cheap as chips as they say (not Iceland, but the flights.. make no mistake, Iceland is still very expensive and to be honest, most services are poor value for money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

martinsvi wrote: »
    sorry to burst your bubble but you can't buy a connecting flight from Dublin via LHR to Reykjavik. That means not only you will be overpaying for your un-connected flights, you will also have to go through a hassle of checking out and back in your luggage at LHR.

You can buy connected flights. They're available on loads of sites.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    You can buy connected flights. They're available on loads of sites.

ok, fine, we've been through this before, lets not start this discussion again. I was talking about a classical connection sold by an airline, not you gee-wiz super sites that will sell you just about anything and bail out on you when s**t hits the fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ok, fine, we've been through this before, lets not start this discussion again. I was talking about a classical connection sold by an airline, not you gee-wiz super sites that will sell you just about anything and bail out on you when s**t hits the fan

An airline (or airlines in this case) not selling a connection (particularly an interline) direct to customer on their website doesn't mean they won't sell it through GDS or even on the phone.

Norwegian also sell guaranteed connections (via Arlanda)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Sorry forgot you had a thing about them. It's just funny the only time I ever had issue with a missed connection was a ticket bought directly with the airline. I've missed quite a few connections with tickets bought from ebookers, orbitz etc and never had any issues, even when my flight was cancelled 3 months out, it was no issue rebooking me on a flight which was more expensive and direct!

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Sorry forgot you had a thing about them. It's just funny the only time I ever had issue with a missed connection was a ticket bought directly with the airline. I've missed quite a few connections with tickets bought from ebookers, orbitz etc and never had any issues, even when my flight was cancelled 3 months out, it was no issue rebooking me on a flight which was more expensive and direct!

let's focus on the point I was trying to bring across, not my emotions towards certain booking systems. The point was - you don't want to go through this hassle just because a direct flight charges you 29eur for a bag

• Advertisement
Advertisement