Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

state benefit s

Options
  • 29-09-2014 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

How much time is the average person allowed to go on holiday. I am aware you are meant to be actively job seeking but how many day are you entitled to and how much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

You are probably best to post this over on the state benefits forum @ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

If a person on state benefits can afford to go on holiday then that person is getting too much money from state benefits. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    If a person on state benefits can afford to go on holiday then that person is getting too much money from state benefits. Just saying.

You're assuming that the relieving officer isn't paying for the holiday as per report on Sean O'Rourke show recently whereby certain people were given in excess of €1,000 to go to Tenerife!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You're assuming that the relieving officer isn't paying for the holiday as per report on Sean O'Rourke show recently whereby certain people were given in excess of €1,000 to go to Tenerife!!!!

Who was payed that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

mp22 wrote: »

I know that this is off topic but I clicked on the link and this is what I saw. Ive been getting it on my desktop also. What is it?

While I do agree with you to a certain degree there are many reasons why people go away, one example is my wife who is Chinese. Im irish. Are you saying that she shouldn't be allowed to visit her mother and father? Or are you saying people on state benefits should not be allowed ever to go on a two week holiday? Just asking.

By certain people, who?? Can you expand on your story.

tonyheaney wrote: »
    While I do agree with you to a certain degree there are many reasons why people go away, one example is my wife who is Chinese. Im irish. Are you saying that she shouldn't be allowed to visit her mother and father? Or are you saying people on state benefits should not be allowed ever to go on a two week holiday? Just asking.

I'm saying that if a person on state benefits is funding his/her holiday solely from state benefits then that person is getting too much money from the state. State benefits are there to ensure people survive, food, shelter, heat etc.

It shouldn't extend to luxuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I'm saying that if a person on state benefits is funding his/her holiday solely from state benefits then that person is getting too much money from the state. State benefits are there to ensure people survive, food, shelter, heat etc.

It shouldn't extend to luxuries.

If somebody on state benefits can budget in a holiday fair play to them.

• Advertisement

By certain people, who?? Can you expand on your story.

I can't expand on who the people were as it was one of those Paddy O'Gorman slots where he speaks to people on the street. The people concerned were telling him that they were off to Tenerife courtesy of the Community Welfare Officer.

racso1975 wrote: »
    If somebody on state benefits can budget in a holiday fair play to them.

If somebody on state benefits can budget in a holiday to China then there's something very wrong with the system. How many working people can afford a holiday to China?

If somebody on state benefits can budget in a holiday to China then there's something very wrong with the system. How many working people can afford a holiday to China?

Whats to say the partner is not in a good job and funding the majority of it. Even if that is not the case perhaps tony gave up smoking. 70 euro a week then 6 months later 1700 saved.

However how do you know the above poster is not just recently unemployed and may have savings or may have got a redundancy payment. There are a whole plethora of reasons as to how they may have paid for the holidays.

The fact that people feel it is ok comment negatively is beyond me. The fact of the matter is he is entitled to go away for 2 weeks holidays
    Holidays and social welfare payments
    In general you can take up to 2 weeks holidays each year and have your social welfare payment paid. However you must always contact your local social welfare office or your Department of Social Protection representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer) to check your entitlements before planning or taking holidays. If you plan to take longer holidays or to be abroad for an extended period your social welfare payment may not be paid.

If you are getting Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit you can go on holiday for a maximum of 2 weeks and get the 2 weeks payment on your return. You must notify your social welfare local office before taking your holiday. Some social welfare offices allow you to apply for holidays online. Both payments can also be paid on your return from representing Ireland in an amateur capacity at international sporting event. You must get written confirmation of the sport and time involved from the governing sporting body.

If you are getting Pre-Retirement Allowance you can go on holiday for a maximum of 2 weeks and cash your payment order on your return. If you go on holiday for more than 2 weeks you must return your payment book before you go on holiday abroad. When you return you will get your payment book back but will only get a payment for 2 weeks of your holiday.

Where ever you are off to enjoy it tony!!!!

Whats to say the partner is not in a good job and funding the majority of it. Even if that is not the case perhaps tony gave up smoking. 70 euro a week then 6 months later 1700 saved.

However how do you know the above poster is not just recently unemployed and may have savings or may have got a redundancy payment. There are a whole plethora of reasons as to how they may have paid for the holidays.

The fact that people feel it is ok comment negatively is beyond me. The fact of the matter is he is entitled to go away for 2 weeks holidays

If the scenarios stated exist then why is he asking the question in the first place?

Your contention is I'm making assumptions but so too are you.

You didn't address my query though; for a working person to save €1,700 they need to earn circa €3,000 and if somebody on benefits can achieve same then the system is wrong.

The question asked was how long could he go on holidays for. I answered this in my post. I did not make assumptions i gave scenarios as to how he might be able to afford it.

Again it is possible for somebody to save that amout, not likely, but possible if they are in receipt of benefit payments.

Does it really matter to anybody here how somebody can afford to go on a holiday to China while on benefits? heck for all we know he could have been collecting loose change from footpaths to afford.

If anybody has issues with amount provided in benefits then they need to take it up with the local TDs or join in some of the rants on this in after hours, politics or state benefits forum.

Tony asked a simple question and got an answer.. /thread.

First off my Chinese wife is married to me and living here with our children. (my question is for a work friend but i wanted to see what the concencus would be) But if my wife was to go to china she would not be going on holiday, she would be going home. the children's grand parents haven't seen the kids in 3 years. Secondly many Chinese pay 10s of 1000s for an educations here. once they are here its pretty much pot noodles and rile :D:o:p. Please dopnt say i should have married an Irish women thank you :rolleyes: we have been to china 3 times but i am working on a CE scheme and she is part time. My friend on the other hand is working full time but her partner is part time. they want to go to Poland for the month but he isnt sure what he needs to do with regards to his dole.

Thank you racso1975

Its nice to get impartial information for once instead of getting virtual bashing. :D:D

If the scenarios stated exist then why is he asking the question in the first place?

Your contention is I'm making assumptions but so too are you.

You didn't address my query though; for a working person to save €1,700 they need to earn circa €3,000 and if somebody on benefits can achieve same then the system is wrong.

Can i ask you one question and get an honest answer??

What is the exact reason for the Dole?
    What are we expected to use the money for exactly?
    Do you work or are you on SP?

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Re-Opened at OP's request.

• Advertisement

Can i ask you one question and get an honest answer??

What is the exact reason for the Dole?
    What are we expected to use the money for exactly?
    Do you work or are you on SP?

:)

Peter Falk has answered your first two questions and to your final question I am self-employed.

Hope your wife enjoys her holiday in Hungary ;)

Peter Falk has answered your first two questions and to your final question I am self-employed.

Hope your wife enjoys her holiday in Hungary ;)

I'm guessing you looked up his posting history? Get a life :rolleyes::rolleyes:

tommycahir wrote: »
    Does it really matter to anybody here how somebody can afford to go on a holiday to China while on benefits?

All items of public expenditure are peoples business. I'd like to know that my taxes weren't spent on unnecessary luxuries (I'm not saying that is the case here - but in general)

All items of public expenditure are peoples business. I'd like to know that my taxes weren't spent on unnecessary luxuries (I'm not saying that is the case here - but in general)

Ok I'll make sure to run it by you if I'm on benefits and decide to buy a loaf of bread or diesel for the car ..

If you have an issue with the way benefits are given to people then speak to your local TD about an alternative being introduced (food stamps ;p )

tommycahir wrote: »
    Ok I'll make sure to run it by you if I'm on benefits and decide to buy a loaf of bread or diesel for the car ..

You should read my post again chap.
    Since when are bread and car fuel luxuries?

Advertisement