Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster's Drive for 8-0 vs Munster buildup

• 27-09-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

May as well get the ball rolling...no need to thank me mods.

*with thanks to durkadurka!*
    What is the drive for 8-0 you may ask? Well it turns out the recent trips to the capital haven't been very kind to the red province:

02/05/09 - Leinster 25 Munster 6 - Croke Park
    03/10/09 - Leinster 30 Munster 0 - RDS
    15/05/10 - Leinster 16 Munster 6 - RDS
    02/10/10 - Leinster 13 Munster 9 - Aviva Stadium
    04/11/11 - Leinster 24 Munster 19 - Aviva Stadium
    06/10/12 - Leinster 30 Munster 21 - Aviva Stadium
    29/03/14 - Leinster 22 Munster 18 - Aviva Stadium

*gulp*

Team I would like to see:

Cronin, Casey, Botha, POC, Foley, Stander, TOD, Copeland;
    Murray, Hanrahan, VDH, Hurley, Smith, Zebo, Jones

Bench: Guinazu, Kilcoyne, Archer, Holland, Dougall, Sheridan, Keatley, Conway

I'd like to do the preview for this if that's alright and fire it up on Friday evening, once teams are confirmed. I haven't done a long winded one in a while and I've a foot in both camps these days. ;)

NOTE: If anyone wants a warmup fixture on Saturday, Leinster A play Munster A in Donnybrook at 1pm!

Who would win in a fight? 54 votes

Peter O'Mahony
    0%
    Sean O'Brien
    100%
    _sheepdregintommycahirbmmAkrasiaIcebergalias no.9él statutorioGordon GekkoBeansBeanseclipsechaserFeederLuckyLloydbudhabobbuck65wandatowellduckysaucepiebalzDavid TuckerDDC1990 54 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

McGrath Cronin Ross
    McCarthy Toner
    Ruddock Heaslip Ryan

Reddan Gopperth
    D'Arcy Macken
    Fanning Kearney McFadden

Byrne, Bent, Moore, Douglas, Conan, McGrath, Madigan, McGrath

Too late at this stage to start Madigan at 10, although it is a bit soul destroying to put that 10-12-13 down on paper.

We're really down to the bare bones in some positions, this is not going to be pretty. You would think Munster arent going to get a better chance to end their losing streak

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster by 7+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I would have expected Munster to have a really good chance to win this match, until I saw this evening's match against Ospreys in Thomond. Given Leinster's performance in the RDS last night as well, I am expecting and error strewn affair than anyone could win.....or lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sean O'Brien
    Neither team have been great so far, but at least Leinster were able to pull a BP win out against Cardiff, while Munster looked directionless against Ospreys.

I'd like to see us go with as close to full-strength as possible; meaning both JJ & Keatley starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Already 7-0.

You've omitted the game in Croke park in 09

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I thought Munster won last year, stupid thread title if ever I saw one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Rightwing wrote: »

They didn't win in Dublin. They won in Thomond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rightwing wrote: »

I know. It's the drive for 8-0 as the honourable durkadurka has highlighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

vienne86 wrote: »
    They didn't win in Dublin. They won in Thomond Park.

I don't count that. The time a few years back when they were going for, what 5 or 6 in a row, that was the achievement. Both teams were right on form. Both have fallen considerably since then unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sean O'Brien
    durkadurka wrote: »
    Already 7-0.

You've omitted the game in Croke park in 09

haha you got me! I had expunged that match from the memory bank!

• Advertisement

Poll needs more Rightwing! No flanker can withstand his cynicism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Team I would like to see:

Cronin, Casey, Botha, POC, Foley, Stander, TOD, Copeland;
    Murray, Hanrahan, VDH, Hurley, Smith, Zebo, Jones

Bench: Guinazu, Kilcoyne, Archer, Holland, Dougall, Sheridan, Keatley, Conway

I'd like to see that team as well - I think Leinster would take it handy enough.
    But probably will with any combination from Munster who are even more at sea this season than Leinster. Both squads suffering from injuries and rudderless coaching of late (I would give Foley some time yet, but its a tough gig and hasnt kicked off well). Despite the injuries, just a better standard of player will be enough to get Leinster over the line despite the MOC handicap. Munster's are just of too ordinary a standard throughout the team.
    It wont be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's both mad and incredibly disappointing that both sets of fans are in no way confident of their teams ability to win this game. Of course I'm not going to change that trend myself. It's easier to see one team or the other losing it rather than winning it. I just know that if Leinster lose it'll make for a VERY long season on the terrace. Made only worse if a certain "underrated" winger gets the winning score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sean O'Brien
    molloyjh wrote: »
    It's both mad and incredibly disappointing that both sets of fans are in no way confident of their teams ability to win this game. Of course I'm not going to change that trend myself. It's easier to see one team or the other losing it rather than winning it. I just know that if Leinster lose it'll make for a VERY long season on the terrace. Made only worse if a certain "underrated" winger gets the winning score.

The underrated man is probably our best hope for winning the game.

I reckon we'll do an alright job up front, but he provides that little bit extra in the backline.

That said... generally when we lose to Leinster, it's at the breakdown with the likes of SOB & Jennings generally starring. I fear Ruddock's physicality a little bit.

molloyjh wrote: »

Nobody really knows where their side is I reckon so it's hard to be overly confident. On paper I think Leinster should have a stronger team out but nothing is decided on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Even this Leinster will be still too strong for us. After tonight, I'm seriously disillusioned. Leinster have nothing to fear. For shame:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Both teams are playing poorly, but ever since MOC has taken charge, Leinster have got the win (with bonus points) regardless of their performance. The home side should win by ~6 points.

It should be interesting to see how the sides compare when Allain Rolland isn't around to hand Leinster the win though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think Leinster have been great so far this season but Munster have been cat. Can't see past a relatively comfortable Leinster win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

when Allain Rolland isn't around to hand Leinster the win though.

Desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster all the way.

• Advertisement

Sean O'Brien
    There's quite a malaise on here for this isn't there? Perhaps it's reflecting in the ticket sales, last season this was a (near) sellout, it doesn't look like it will come close to that this year.

Munster could really do with the win here, they are already seven points behind Leinster and Ospreys. Ospreys go to Zebre which is a banker win given the form they're in. If Munster are eleven points behind then suddenly they are playing catchup for the playoffs and a home semi-final is gone.

I'd say the home semi final is already gone, in all likelihood, unless they hit a special run of form. They have to go away to all the Welsh sides, Ulster, Leinster and Glasgow. The didn't get the BP against Treviso or against Edinburgh at home which aren't a given by any stretch but they weren't even in the mix for it while Ospreys picked them up easily against both.

I can't see them taking one of the top 2 spots from Leinster, Ulster, Glasgow or the Ospreys at this point all of whom have looked that bit more clinical generally.

Regarding next week, I think it will be a tight enough game and the selections of each side will play a huge part. If MOC moves D'Arcy back to 12, I think Leinster will open up Munster's midfield. If Foley decides to change things and move Keatley to 12, Munster have a good shot at getting around Leinster out wide.

Injuries will play a huge part also. A lot of players in injury limbo at the moment. If they make it back for next week it will put a different slant on things.

Sean O'Brien
    Buer wrote: »
    Injuries will play a huge part also. A lot of players in injury limbo at the moment. If they make it back for next week it will put a different slant on things.

Aside from Copeland I don't think there's anyone expected back for Munster in time for Saturday. Sherry, Varley, Scannell, D Ryan, POM, Bleyendaal, Bohane and Earls all unavailable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Munster are in terrible trouble already. Expect Leinster to win handy enough, and switch the fixture to Donnybrook too.

Munster are in terrible trouble already. Expect Leinster to win handy enough, and switch the fixture to Donnybrook too.

I think Munster will turn it around but there's significant damage done to the season already. You can't lose two home games in September and expect to have a home semi final in May. October is going to be a massive, massive month for Munster.

Lose away to Sale and that could be European rugby potentially over in the first game given the other two sides are Sarries and Clermont. Cardiff, Scarlets and Leinster are next 3 up in the league. Lose two of them and I think the league campaign is in massive difficulty to even make the play offs.

I think Munster will chug along and need to keep their heads up. Win the games they should win and pick up losing bonus points elsewhere and there's no reason they can't get to the play offs in the league and be in the mix for getting out of the pool in Europe. Huge amount of work required in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Munster and Leinster fans in disturbing 'we're gonna lose, no WE'RE gonna lose' banter.

Both sides are in poor shape alright, and not just for injury reasons. Joe Schmidt must be most disappointed of all so far this season.

As a Leinster fan I'm not looking forward to Monday's injury update, Rob Kearney could be added to a raft of lads you don't want to rock up to any game in Lansdowne without.

Hard to see what sort of display will greet us next week, I think Leinster will shade it on balance but it could just as easily be 10-6 as 55-48.

I think RK will be ok. He played on after getting some attention and then didn't come on for the second half so was just precautionary, I reckon. It would be fantastic if ZK was available. Original prognosis was 2-3 weeks so that would put him in the frame for this match. A back three of him, McFadden and Kearney would be a big boost.

We really need some back 3 players available. Guys like DK, Kirchner and Fitz all being out is backing us into a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

If Leinster have Kearney and Jack McGrath, they'll win. Any more injuries and we're shagged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's quite a malaise on here for this isn't there? Perhaps it's reflecting in the ticket sales, last season this was a (near) sellout, it doesn't look like it will come close to that this year.

Munster could really do with the win here, they are already seven points behind Leinster and Ospreys. Ospreys go to Zebre which is a banker win given the form they're in. If Munster are eleven points behind then suddenly they are playing catchup for the playoffs and a home semi-final is gone.

Glasgow

Leinster are at home and are 6 points behind the leaders, if they have any sights on a home final then they need to be targeting a win in the Aviva.

• Advertisement

Sean O'Brien
    phog wrote: »
    Glasgow

Leinster are at home and are 6 points behind the leaders, if they have any sights on a home final then they need to be targeting a win in the Aviva.

Sorry you're right, Glasgow. Like Ospreys they have a banker win, away to Treviso.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement