Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would a woman have to do...

Options
  • 27-11-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

for you to punch her?

I just seen the new Safe Ireland campaign on RTE news. I guess I agree with it but it kind of paints men as abusers, ignoring the fact that women are just as violent towards spouses.

I know that I'm certainly not like that. I think the only time I'd ever hit a woman was if my life would be in danger in the next few seconds if I didn't. Or at least serious bodily harm. Like if she was coming at me with a knife or something.

Have never been hit by a girlfriend before though, I should mention.

But I've seen it a few times in public where some chap is taking an awful hammering off a wife/girlfriend and he just stands there. And nobody does anything. Yet if it's the other way around the cavalry arrive in seconds.

I'm not knocking the campaign... or at least the idea behind it. Just think they're a bunch of hypocritical cúnts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Just think they're a bunch of hypocritical cúnts.
    Bitter are we ??:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If a woman was in the wrong and she hit me,she'd get one square back in the jaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Last nights Corrie was a good indicator of when a woman needs a slap. Although calling the police for DV is always the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I find the frequency with which these threads recur disturbing.

Why do so many people go around thinking about punching women?

Why not go around not thinking of punching anyone instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

I just seen the new Safe Ireland campaign on RTE news. I guess I agree with it but it kind of paints men as abusers, ignoring the fact that women are just as violent towards spouses.

+ 65465487987461656565162121006565059098005422010101321323121351655454453435443454354435435445434434434435443544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Bitter are we ??:)

Opinionated.

for you to punch her?

I know that I'm certainly not like that. I think the only time I'd ever hit a woman was if my life would be in danger in the next few seconds if I didn't. Or at least serious bodily harm. Like if she was coming at me with a knife or something.

Have never been hit by a girlfriend before though, I should mention.

But I've seen it a few times in public where some chap is taking an awful hammering off a wife/girlfriend and he just stands there. And nobody does anything. Yet if it's the other way around the cavalry arrive in seconds.

I'm not knocking the campaign... or at least the idea behind it. Just think they're a bunch of hypocritical cúnts.

What are the figures on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I had an ex who smacked me a few times. I wasn't long leaving her. It didn't hurt and at first I laughed it off but it did get pretty annoying. Her parents must have taught her that it's ok for a woman to hit a man.

I know a guy from my town got a beating from a girl before. He just stood there and let her beat the crap out of him because he was taught it's wrong to strike a woman.

Personally, I don't think I could ever strike a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Telling me the vanilla ice cream I made especially for her tasted like banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Only as a very last resort as a form of self defense if I thought there was a legitimate risk that their action could harm me or anyone I cared about.

I disagree with digging one back if they attack you. Although they would completely deserve it there are better ways of dealing with it if you cant walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

What are the figures on this?

Quick Google. Some studies suggest men are actually abused more but they themselves refuse to call it domestic abuse. Not arsed digging them up though. Make do: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence

Quick Google. Some studies suggest men are actually abused more but they themselves refuse to call it domestic abuse. Not arsed digging them up though. Make do: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence

Not arsed with the thread then.

Have done on the table, oooooooo fook I see what you mean now (lifting and throwing it next door)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If she left the kitchen and refused to make me a sandwich !!

Mod

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This thread will do nothing but create grief between men and women, same tired old arguments and the same few posters will end up going at it.

I'd walk away before it got to that, unless they attacked a family member, friend or I saw an unprovoked attack on another woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I must admit I saw this and thought exactly the same thing OP.

Maybe by nature men are just not as vocal about this sort of thing?
    I've never hit a woman, but I've also never been in a situation where I've had to physically defend myself from a woman either, so I really don't know what I would do?

Depending on the situation, I think striking a woman even in retaliation would be a last resort.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If she expects it's ok to hit me, she should expect it to be ok' to get hit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You've got a legal right to defend yourself using reasonable force. Surely most men (not in all cases I know) would be able to physically restrain the woman and try and leave the situation before it escalated further.

KTRIC wrote: »

It would be your fault if that happened as the chain would be to long.

Mod

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

It doesn't matter what someone has in their trousers. I believe in a golden rule, "Never hit a lady", but when a female throws the first punch, she loses her status as a lady and becomes a simple "woman".
    In saying that I would not get joy in hitting the fairer sex because she is weaker and an easy target, but I would defend myself or get my own back with as much force as I see necessary, and no more. I am not a fan of gratuitous violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

KTRIC wrote: »

Worse again if she left the kitchen, refused to make a sandwich and went to vote!

Can't be having that.

Mod

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Ah right! Yet again AH posters using UK stats to back up their claims. Makes perfect sense.

And it doesn't prove your claim even if they did apply to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As a woman, and I have said this before, if you are willing to hit anyone be they male or female you should do so fully expecting to get a slap back.

It's just a rule I live by, I have never been in a fight with anyone male or female since I was a child, but if someone tried to harm me, my family or any child or animal I would have no problem getting in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

You should never hit a woman OR a man unless it's self defence and absolutely necessary.

Regardless of your gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I've seen this topic being brought up here multiple times. WTF?

1ZRed wrote: »
    Worse again if she left the kitchen, refused to make a sandwich and went to vote!

Can't be having that.

Me 3 especially with peanut butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

You should never hit a woman OR a man unless it's self defence and absolutely necessary.

Regardless of your gender.

If everyone abided by this then no one would ever have to hit anyone. :o

Sadly some people are just d**ks. (Even women) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I never use violence. I came in drunk the other night and she lashed out, so I plugged out the television and threw a bucket of water in the fire. That sorted her.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I've seen this topic being brought up here multiple times. WTF?
    It'll be back again after the budget too... Gotta leave room for the public vs private debates first!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement