Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you tell your dates you're on the dole?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

sugarman wrote: »
    Come off that, you know exactly what he meant.

Another troll on the loose.

No i didn't the tracksuit brigade?

The poster is one of these people who look down on their nose on people who wear tracksuits, hooded tops etc.... I have people who work with me who think the exact same as the poster and it really annoys me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

A friend of mine recently met a guy he liked online dating as well. He is on the dole. We were chatting about him and how much we admired his approach. He gets up early every morning he fills his day various tasks outside of applying for jobs.

However what it boiled down to is that my friend feels that he likes a certain lifestyle and that this chap wouldn't be able to sustain it. There is currently little or no prospect of this improving and so while the possibility of a relationship hasn't been written off he is very wary of getting involved. Now it may sound shallow etc but at the end of the day I can see the point and think it's a pretty reasonable one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Not dating someone just because they are on the dole is crazy. My bf was on the dole when we got together, and due to lack of work he was on it for 2 years, through no fault of his own. There just wasnt much work going in his industry. I was working the entire time while also being in college. He got a job a few months ago and now makes an unbelivable amount per week, and I'm now on the dole. Circumstances change for people through no fault of their own

He is rich and he stayed with you? You must be very hot or very funny. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

curlygirly wrote: »
    I do online dating and my most recent job as manager is listed and I am still looking for work in that field, daily & hourly but until I find it I feel like I should stop dating people

If it's online dating you probably lied about your weight, why not just lie about your employment status as well?

because I think it shows lack of ambition, to be honest. I ve been out of work for 7 weeks and the only reason I applied for it finally was cos my friends forced me to.

It does depend on the situation but Ive met several guys who live with their folks, are on the dole, in their late 20s-mid 30s, rely on public transport and are too good to work as a barman but have no problem spending all their cash at the bar 3 nights a week. If you dont pay rent, for petrol and so on , where the hell is your dole money going??

anyway bit of a rant. im talking purely from experience, not talking about everyone on the dole.

It's sad that the social stigma attached to being out of work still exists some narrow minded people. Most people on the sole these days aren't on it out of choice, they are there because their old job is no more and finding a new one is difficult. When shops such as Londis are getting a thousand CVs for one advertised job then you know times are hard.

How do you know they are too good to work as barmen? Working in a bar takes experience and no bar is going to hire someone whose untrained especially in this day and age when there is an abundance of recently laid off bar staff around. As for the not paying rent, anyone I know who still lives at home gives over 50 or 60 euro a week to help with running the house. Very few people live at home and expect their parents to pay for everything.o

And what's with the using public transport bashing. I don't drive and have no interest in learning so at times have to rely on public transport to get places. Does that mean that I'd be seen as less desirable by people?

This thread does feel like a veiled attack on those unfortunate enough to be out of work and reliant up the dole to survive. Most people claiming are doing do through no fault of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

jesus some of these responses are horrible - ie the abortion one.

anyway i guess it's concerning cos i actually wouldnt date a guy on the dole - so expect guys would feel the same about girls.

as for not telling them - one question that always comes up is what you do for work. 'looking for work' doesnt sound fantastic.

for the dude/girl who said you dont claim the dole, good for you. ive been doing that for the last 16 yrs as well. that wasnt the question though.
    Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you date a guy on the dole?
    sorry, I've just seen you making your point throughout the thread! Scrap that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

strobe wrote: »
    Being on the dole is grand, I love girls on the dole, they're more likely to have an abortion.

Well, it's something to do in between Jeremy Kyle and the re run of coronation street isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

No point in dating beneath your economic class. Will only pollute your gene pool.

[/LordSnoot]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tell the person, if they got a stick up their arse about you being on the dole then you've handily dodged a bullet of being with an utter dry shìte who can't separate stereotype from the reality of being on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Im on the dole and cant even afford to go on a date:o

forever alone:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just pick up people on the dole Q. Problem solved.

Career break is another good one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You seem a little confused. If I were you, I'd forget about dating and just get a job. Then you won't have to justify your egregious hypocrisy to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 curlygirly

Not dating someone just because they are on the dole is crazy. My bf was on the dole when we got together, and due to lack of work he was on it for 2 years, through no fault of his own. There just wasnt much work going in his industry. I was working the entire time while also being in college. He got a job a few months ago and now makes an unbelivable amount per week, and I'm now on the dole. Circumstances change for people through no fault of their own

That's part of my argument as well. There is always work - but why be a barman if you're wualified to be an architecht, right? I would much rather take a job that I'm over qualified for than stay home for 2 years. Some people wouldnt, though and that's their call but I wouldn't date someone who had that attitude. I know people with degrees who are successful but had to spend a year collecting glasses in pubs or folding clothes in some shop and I have loads of respect for them now. More than I would have if they stayed home because they refused to take a job beneath them.

Everyone is different though I suppose.

Do you even know what this song is about? It's about a woman with money who is dating a guy that uses all the things SHE provided herself, without providing anything in return. So yea - I don't mind that being related to me at all.

Nice try though. What are you, 15?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tracksuit brigade?

Apart from The OP, we seem to have another one stuck up their own hole.

What is wrong with wearing a tracksuit, I went to Uni for 4 years in Belfast, done a masters in Dublin
    I'm now a working in a well paid job 4 years and guess what I wear into work every day, a tracksuit and wear a tracksuit 90% of the time (when i say tracksuit, nice pair tracksuit bottoms and a trendy hooded top)

Permit me to summarize your post in the native tongue of your people...

"Ah here, leave it ou!!!"

It's sad that the social stigma attached to being out of work still exists some narrow minded people. Most people on the sole these days aren't on it out of choice, they are there because their old job is no more and finding a new one is difficult. When shops such as Londis are getting a thousand CVs for one advertised job then you know times are hard.

How do you know they are too good to work as barmen? Working in a bar takes experience and no bar is going to hire someone whose untrained especially in this day and age when there is an abundance of recently laid off bar staff around. As for the not paying rent, anyone I know who still lives at home gives over 50 or 60 euro a week to help with running the house. Very few people live at home and expect their parents to pay for everything.o

I know it takes talent to be a bar man! I'm in the industry, as I've said in my other posts. Bar man is just an example. The girl I know who has been on the dole with her folks and siblings absolutley refused to work in any field other than what she was trained in but told me to go apply to be an usher at the cinema. She would never do that, though.

Very few people I know who live at home, pay their folks rent. Again...that's people I know. I dont know how many times I have to say Im not talking about everyone on the dole, but people I know or have met. I dont know about guys Ive gone on a date with, as I dont ask if they pay rent but as for people I know as aquanitances or friends, yeah. they keep it to go out

And what's with the using public transport bashing. I don't drive and have no interest in learning so at times have to rely on public transport to get places. Does that mean that I'd be seen as less desirable by people?

Yeah, a woman generally much prefers a man who has a car. it can be the ****tiest car in the world but the reason teenagers look so forward to being able to drive is because it's a symbol of freedom. having to go by the dublin bus system or you're stranded in town, is crap.Again, this is MY preference. If I'm "up my hole" because of it, so be it. I have that right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Mince Pie wrote: »
    providing they were looking for work and weren't career dole heads.

There actually isnt much difference between the two anymore.

There's a lot of people who claim to be "newly unemployed because of the recession" are enetering thier third and fourth year on benefits..seems to me its more of a career than some people care to admit

Nice try though. What are you, 15?

Inches.

How you doin'?

toexpress wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently met a guy he liked online dating as well. He is on the dole. We were chatting about him and how much we admired his approach. He gets up early every morning he fills his day various tasks outside of applying for jobs.

However what it boiled down to is that my friend feels that he likes a certain lifestyle and that this chap wouldn't be able to sustain it. There is currently little or no prospect of this improving and so while the possibility of a relationship hasn't been written off he is very wary of getting involved. Now it may sound shallow etc but at the end of the day I can see the point and think it's a pretty reasonable one.

I feel the same way. I ve said it 100x - the life i made for myself, I provided for myself. No man gave it to me. Now I am used to that life and I don't want to have to carry someone and in turn would feel like crap being carried.

My friend who is on the dole told me that his ex wifes new bf is taking her on a trip and that he was never able to do that. And he obvioulsy felt badly about it but we all have standards. Am I gonna not date a guy cos he cant take me on holiday and to fancy dinners? no. that was never my thing. but if he is constantly pinching his pennies, that's gonna be an issue.

I dont plan on being on assistance for more than 4 weeks and when I say that, i mean i will not be on for more than weeks. The last guy I went out with told me he wants to find a job cos he s "sick of being a leech" so he's well aware of how serious his search has actually been

• Advertisement

Inches.

How you doin'?

prove it and we ll talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Irish people don't go on "dates"!

Ush1 wrote: »
    Irish people don't go on "dates"!

True. But I don't do the whole drunk & make out like we're in high school then be my bf the next day, thing. so if they wanna get to know me, they have no choice but to go on a date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Tefral

No i didn't the tracksuit brigade?

The poster is one of these people who look down on their nose on people who wear tracksuits, hooded tops etc.... I have people who work with me who think the exact same as the poster and it really annoys me

Ha ha I sat there last night writing that in a Hoody and tracksuit bottom.. But it wouldn't matter because I am not actually the one with the problem with it, you clearly are.

If you want clarification I was referring to the people who wear tracksuit bottoms tucked into their socks. (which would be fine if you werent cycling a bicycle in case you want to attack me for that too)

If it's online dating you probably lied about your weight, why not just lie about your employment status as well?

and what if i did lie about my weight and he saw me and then wasnt attracted - isnt that his right? if men can say they only want thin women or women say they only want tall men, then why cant i say i want a man with a job?

oh but you can change weight, when you cant change your work situation - right?

no, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You'll only get away with the "I'm queueing for stamps" excuse twice before they'll start asking questions..

(on a serious note though, I understand how you feel.. I'm not making much money self employed and I feel exactly the same)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

and what if i did lie about my weight and he saw me and then wasnt attracted - isnt that his right? if men can say they only want thin women or women say they only want tall men, then why cant i say i want a man with a job?

oh but you can change weight, when you cant change your work situation - right?

no, not so much.

Bet it has to be a "nice" job though.

I don't think I know a single guy who wouldn't go out with a girl because she's on the dole. The girl themselves matter, not their job status.

And actually, I looked at a couple of dating websites. It's funny looking at photo's of girls taken from odd angles attempting to make themselves look thin. It's the exact opposite of daft.ie.

Grayson wrote: »
    Bet it has to be a "nice" job though.

I don't think I know a single guy who wouldn't go out with a girl because she's on the dole. The girl themselves matter, not their job status.

And actually, I looked at a couple of dating websites. It's funny looking at photo's of girls taken from odd angles attempting to make themselves look thin. It's the exact opposite of daft.ie.

Nope! If a guy can support himself, there is nothing sexier than that. And I don't care if he's a waiter or a lawyer. The last guy I dated was a doctor - but then the one before that worked in IT. Then there was a carer.The one I was mad over worked with his dad in a shop. I think a lot of you men sound really jaded thinking women are only money hungry.

It's the principle behind the job, not the job itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

money money money ha :pac: i couldnt give a flying fcuk about a girls career choice, i like people for who they are not what they do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement