Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steroid induced Diabetic seeking diet advice

• 19-08-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi ,
    I have Diabetic Steroid induced diabetes which is treated with insulin four times a day.
    I am meeting my Diabetic team next week to discuss the same but I wanted to know if other active diabetics follow a diet to keep the sugars under control while playing sport or when do normal day to day activities

I see so many books on Diabetics it gets confusing to follow the right book .

I play Golf and try and go to the range three times a week and play 18 holes every weekend
    I appreciate that Glucose is stored in the arms and that Golf and Gardening can reduce your sugars fast over a short period of time .
    I really would love a diet that kept me from getting hungry and keeping my sugars under control
    Currently they are between 6 to 15 .

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

padraig04 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I have Diabetic Steroid induced diabetes which is treated with insulin four times a day.
    I am meeting my Diabetic team next week to discuss the same but I wanted to know if other active diabetics follow a diet to keep the sugars under control while playing sport or when do normal day to day activities

I see so many books on Diabetics it gets confusing to follow the right book .

I play Golf and try and go to the range three times a week and play 18 holes every weekend
    I appreciate that Glucose is stored in the arms and that Golf and Gardening can reduce your sugars fast over a short period of time .
    I really would love a diet that kept me from getting hungry and keeping my sugars under control
    Currently they are between 6 to 15 .

Thank you

Long Term Illness might be a better fit for this thread so gonna bounce it over there. Be aware a different charter applies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Similar situation here- I'm on a reducing dose of steroids.

Essentially- keep carbs at a minimum- esp. in the evening/night (eat proteins more so than carbs) and whatever you like in the mornings/lunch.

Its in keeping with the old saying- the healthy man eats breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.......

As your steroids reduce- it passes- however, the steroids will still impact on you for weeks after you've fully finished them.

I've a minor benefit this time round- I'm on Humira too- which is helping somewhat.

I'd be more concerned about managing my diet towards helping whatever the condition is that you were prescribed the steroids for- than getting hungup on temp induced diabetes from the steroids themselves. If you're concerned- discuss it with your GP- standard practice is a HbA1C 6-8 weeks after you've fully finished up the steroid course- with a repeat another 6-8 weeks later, if its at an elevated level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Similar situation here- I'm on a reducing dose of steroids.

Essentially- keep carbs at a minimum- esp. in the evening/night (eat proteins more so than carbs) and whatever you like in the mornings/lunch.

Its in keeping with the old saying- the healthy man eats breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.......

As your steroids reduce- it passes- however, the steroids will still impact on you for weeks after you've fully finished them.

I've a minor benefit this time round- I'm on Humira too- which is helping somewhat.

I'd be more concerned about managing my diet towards helping whatever the condition is that you were prescribed the steroids for- than getting hungup on temp induced diabetes from the steroids themselves. If you're concerned- discuss it with your GP- standard practice is a HbA1C 6-8 weeks after you've fully finished up the steroid course- with a repeat another 6-8 weeks later, if its at an elevated level.
    ^^^

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/breakfast-health_b_4436439.html

Eat whenever ya want, skip Brekkie if ya want, won't make a difference or you could be better off.

That saying of yours^^ or breakfast is the most important meal of the Day (traced back to Kelloggs - says it all really) are aload of rubbish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are plenty of people who subscribe to getting your carbohydrates in early in the day- when you can burn them off- and focusing on proteins/fibre later in the day. Its an acknowledged way for those at risk of developing T2D to try to keep their blood sugars as stable as possible (there is an assumption that you aren't a complete couch potato in the assumption).

What you eat for breakfast is always going to be contentious- personally I would no sooner eat cereal from Kelloggs, than I would the cardboard boxes they come in- my idea of a breakfast that suits me- involves copious amounts of coffee and youghurt- which also helps with taking all the tablets I have to take. I try to take probiotics whenever possible too- given my Crohn's.

I think the argument is that breakfast used to be seen as a weight management process- and what you eat at that time of the day (or don't eat) impacts on your weight and well being. I wasn't trying to say it is/was anything to do with weight- it was to do with sugar regulation.

I'd suggest that for someone like me who is on cortisone- having a low carb protein rich dinner in early evening- is key to my keeping my blood sugars on an even keel. I have a glucometer- and can check my bloods whenever I want. I focus on chicken/fish type dishes- aka easy to cook- in the evening- regardless of what else I've had during the day. If I were to eat noodles/fried rice or some other altered carbs in the evening- I'd wake up the next morning with a pounding headache, pains behind my eyes, high blood sugars- and an overwhelming urge to vomit. I don't want to wake up like this. What I eat for my breakfast or lunch- doesn't really matter- what I eat in the evening is critical though.

Its quite simple to throw some chicken in a little olive oil in the oven, squirt a little worchester sauce over it- and bobs your uncle- a delicious evening snack thats a doddle to prepare (be more adventurous if you have more time/energy). Thats what I was trying to convey.

Also- if you're worried about your blood sugars after your course of cortisone- get your GP to do a HbA1c with your other regular blood tests periodically, just to keep an eye on things- it gives a good overall view of where you're at (and may help with managing whatever the condition is that had you on the cortisone in the first place).

The only other tip I have- is I always try to take my cortisone as early in the morning as possible. I have great trouble sleeping while I'm on cortisone- its effects are remarkable- I consider it to be at least 10 times worse than coffee. If I take it any time after 11AM- I'm screwed- no sleep that night. I do have one or two other prescriptions- such as buscopan- which help me- however the OP probably doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

^^^

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/breakfast-health_b_4436439.html

Eat whenever ya want, skip Brekkie if ya want, won't make a difference or you could be better off.

That saying of yours^^ or breakfast is the most important meal of the Day (traced back to Kelloggs - says it all really) are aload of rubbish.

Might be true indeed, however if I was the OP I would probably consult my dietitian rather than a flippant post on the internet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement