Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming KickStarter with a difference

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maria getting punched in the stomach at the start of Double Dragon is iconic at this stage. Cutting it out is like having mario which no power up mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Any idea when her second video is due to hit the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

deathrider wrote: »
    Any idea when her second video is due to hit the net?

At current pace, some time around late November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

For the first bit its ok and her points have some merit but when she tries to turn the "damsel in distress" trope (sexist in that it's always a woman) into being sexist because its always about objectification I had to stop.

I just flicked through the first video and it's just her talking to a camera and then clips of games. Did I miss the interviews with industry players that would account for needing a kick starter for travel expenses? If it's just a homemade project, then she doesn't need the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I just flicked through the first video and it's just her talking to a camera and then clips of games. Did I miss the interviews with industry players that would account for needing a kick starter for travel expenses? If it's just a homemade project, then she doesn't need the cash.
    Did she say somewhere she was going to be having interviews with people? I didn't see her say anything of the sort. Or the opposite, but I had assumed it was a "hey, give me money so I can buy games to do videos about" type thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pushtrak wrote: »
    This is the person who thinks that Christmas songs are sexist, like the one "All I want for Christmas is you" amongst others.

Once it gets to nonsense like that, you know the person has a complex & it becomes less & less about feminism/equal rights etc

I don't know if people watched the video I posted in #28, but one of the things that was mentioned there was how she went out of her way to get trolls to comment. It shows how she went to 4chan and posted about the series, and she used those comments at her TED talk. I'm sure people here know well enough about 4chan, but any person who goes to an online community and riles up members with anything, and then uses this as a "oh, look what they are saying about me" ought to not be taken too seriously on the trolling they get, be they male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Some interesting follow up videos, the end of the first video summing up Anita's stances very bluntly but accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

I'm not sure how she will connect her theory to modern gaming. I think she has picked the worst time for it too. The most recent Tomb Raider really goes against everything she is saying. In addition there are so many games that allow the protagonist to be either gender that her study becomes more and more pointless. The Fem-Shep being the epitome of this.

If you look at some of the co-star female characters that have featured in the past years this also dampens her point. Glados, Jack, Tifa, Sarah Kerrigan, many of the female Resident Evil characters. All of which easily matched the role of their male counterparts. In fact both Tifa and Kerrigan had to rescue the male.

So while she may have a point that older games, mainly of Japanese origin, pigeon holed the womens roles I don't think she will be able to support that theory on modern games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think people should remember that she is a pop feminist, a blogger, not a great thinker in the field. Is she popular? Yes, she's a lot easier than getting stuck into an academic argument about feminism.

Basically, don't expect a high degree of rigour in her arguments. Not that she won't make good points but if you go into her stuff expecting a discerning and subtle analysis of the predicament of women in video games you will be disappointed. If there aren't large gaping holes in this video series I'll be very surprised, if she doesn't make some good points I'll also be surprised.

SB2013 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how she will connect her theory to modern gaming. I think she has picked the worst time for it too. The most recent Tomb Raider really goes against everything she is saying. In addition there are so many games that allow the protagonist to be either gender that her study becomes more and more pointless. The Fem-Shep being the epitome of this.
    You see, you'd think this would be a counter point to what she says. I can't remember which video it was in, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the videos posted in this thread, either by me or another. Anyway, it shows her talking about strong female characters in games.

Her viewpoint is that even that isn't good enough. That such examples are women acting like men. That women should be nurturing, supportive, et cetera. It would take a while to try to find it, and right now I've got a couple of YT vids I've already got lined up to watch, and then I'll be getting back to Deus Ex Human Revolution, hopefully for a bit before some sleep. Though, who knows, I might just go through the vids fast and try find exactly where in the vid it was. Just in case I don't get to that too soon, at a hunch I think it is the thunderf00t one which is the 19 minute one that is posted in the one just before you I think. The 19 minute one. I'd seen it before, and a couple of other vids to her.

Edit: I played the thunderf00t one with the audio off, and was able to find the bit due to what is on the screen. I'd recommend watching all of the vid, but I've time stamped the highly relevant bit here. Seriously. I'll edit another bit at the end of my post. Go to 13:45 - 15:50 if you aren't going to watch it all.

nesf wrote: »
    I think people should remember that she is a pop feminist, a blogger, not a great thinker in the field. Is she popular? Yes, she's a lot easier than getting stuck into an academic argument about feminism.
    In fairness, I'd like a bit more than confirmation bias. If she actually does a video that articulates "here is what video games do right" I'll be very impressed.

Edit: I actually think feminism is necessary and a good thing. Though, I'd prefer humanism as a label. People being treated equally. Sarkeesian, though, should not be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I don't think being a pop-critic puts her beyond criticism either. It annoys me that Ashley Graham from Resi 4 is one of her damsels in distress (at least in the little montage at the start of her video and in the TvW logo) when RE is a series which has arguably more strong female protagonists than male. Hell, in Code Veronica you spent half the game playing a chick trying to save a dude.

For some reason, I get the feeling people here don't watch YouTube clips, so...
    You see, if your research had included the masters thesis of the feminist Anita Sarkeesian… Oh, well, if your research had included your masters thesis I’ll make a man out of you: Strong Women in Science Fiction and Fantasy Television you’d have realised… I’ll let this guy explain.
    She argued that strong, empowered female protagonists still aren’t feminists because they’re only pretending to be men. According to her, any character who shows strong leadership is only doing so in strictly a charade of strictly masculine traits. The second diagram illustrates what she wants TV to give her. Once again, she is at odds with herself. Notably she proposes significant positive feminine traits than masculine traits with women hilariously unable to show confidence or self control.
    Not only that but strong is only a favourable attribute for the masculine.

Advertisement