Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B 12 Deficency

Options
  • 06-04-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, im new here and hoping some of ye may be able to help me. i have just got my blood results and my B12 is 138, i believe this is low but not to bad-i have to get the injections. i have also been told i have a 5.7 cholesterol level with the bad cholesterol being 3.6, apparently this is quite bad-i have to take tablets for this! plus i was also told that one of the liver results came back a bit high, i cant remember which one it is to be honest but i think it was something to do with the bile ? does anyone know anything more about this ? i found it hard to understand my doctor because of a language barrier. im a 29 year old female who i believed was in pretty good shape. my diet is good, im not overweight and exercise on occasion. another thing that is worrying me about the b12 is that i heard it can affect you mentally! of late i have been quite depressed and easily agitated and irritable. i put this down to pms so got myself vitamin b6 and evening primrose oil but they dont seem to help. could they be related ? should i be worried ? if anyone could help me i would be really grateful! :(

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

sersh wrote: »
    Hi all, im new here and hoping some of ye may be able to help me. i have just got my blood results and my B12 is 138, i believe this is low but not to bad-i have to get the injections. i have also been told i have a 5.7 cholesterol level with the bad cholesterol being 3.6, apparently this is quite bad-i have to take tablets for this! plus i was also told that one of the liver results came back a bit high, i cant remember which one it is to be honest but i think it was something to do with the bile ? does anyone know anything more about this ? i found it hard to understand my doctor because of a language barrier. im a 29 year old female who i believed was in pretty good shape. my diet is good, im not overweight and exercise on occasion. another thing that is worrying me about the b12 is that i heard it can affect you mentally! of late i have been quite depressed and easily agitated and irritable. i put this down to pms so got myself vitamin b6 and evening primrose oil but they dont seem to help. could they be related ? should i be worried ? if anyone could help me i would be really grateful! :(

The first thing I'd do is find a doctor you can communicate with properly. That is so important I can't stress it enough.

Re: B12, lambs liver is really great for highly absorbable b vitamins, along with vitamin K2 which most of us don't get enough of and contributes to energy levels in a big way.

What's your daily diet like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sersh

daily diet is fairly good as i started weight watchers recently. breakfast would be cereal, lunch would be tuna sandwich and veg soup or beans on toast etc, dinner would be pasta or meat and veg or chicken stir fry et. dont eat junk really and exercise about twice a week.
    the only doctors in my town are of a different nationality, you are right though, i should really go and find someone i can understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

you need to know what type of B12 defficiancy you have, because if its pernicious anemia it doesnt matter how much B12 rich foods you ingest your stomach doesnt produce the intrinsic factors needed to absorb it. Also word of note alcohol inhibits B12 absorption !!!

im going back to the doc on friday for 2nd injection so will try and find out more then but have a feeling im not able to absorb it myself through foods. Do you know anything about the effects it has on mental health? i.e. wot b12 level starts to affect this ? im assuming it has to be very very low ? thanks a mill for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hi sersh, I am going to move this thread to the long term illness forum where I think it is more suited, also note the rules/advice from this forum (i.e. nutrition & diet forum).
    Bear in mind we are not professional nutritionists and we are not doctors, so don't look for medical advice. Please seek advice from your Dr. or a Nutritionist before embarking on any major overhaul of your eating habits. If you have any pre-exisitng condition that requires specific nutritional needs please note that the N&D forum is NOT a substitute for a qualified dietician. We cannot advise on the best diet for these circumstances and any posts doing so will be edited/ deleted as necessary.

There is already an active thread on B12 in the long term illness forum.

The other forum might have more people who can give advice on contacting a suitable doctor or nutritionist. I agree with Temple it is vital you find one you can communicate with. What town are you in? you know there are other location specific forums you could ask in here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

The symptoms of B12 deficiency varies vastly for every individual. The only real way of knowing if its pernicious anemia is to do a Schellings test.

My suggestion is to write down all the questions you want answered, before you go to the Drs, that way you wont forget anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

we cant answer your questions here

you need to speak to a doctor - and one you can understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

foodaholic wrote: »
    My suggestion is to write down all the questions you want answered, before you go to the Drs, that way you wont forget anything.
    Good idea, perhaps others could suggest some more important questions.

Thanks a million everyone for your advice. sorry for posting this thread in the wrong section. thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hennamak09

Recently been diagnosed with a B12 deficiency and high cholesterol. I a young woman with 2 kids , I am 37 years of age. I have started my injections this week, i feel so tired drained an no energy and I go to the gym 3 time a week with a PT. I have been getting fierce palps too with dizzy spells.
    Some days are worse than others, but his week I really feel sluggish. This is all new to me, anyone else experiencing these symptoms>?

• Advertisement
Advertisement