Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Bruce has left Sunderland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd love to see Rafa get the job. He's massively divisive, but is the kind of manager capable of establishing a team like Sunderland at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭pavb2

I'd go with Hughes over MON been said before MON's financial dealings got out of control at Villa especially wages. MON might be OK with a firm director of football taking responsibility for transfers and wages but would MON stand for this?

With the sad passing of Gary Speed what chance Hughes back to Wales anyway

The best options I think would be Moyes (would need cash to build a team) or Paul lambert I'd take these over Rafa

Bruce should go to Blackburn might not be a bad move for them under present circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mark Hughes will be interviewed tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

mike65 wrote: »
    If they have any ambition they will get Rafa - Quinn is gallivanting around the world drumming up funds/sponsorship/links, having a La Liga/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/Champions League winning manager would trump SLP/FA Trophy winning manager

Doubt if Rafa would go there tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

mike65 wrote: »
    If they have any ambition they will get Rafa - Quinn is gallivanting around the world drumming up funds/sponsorship/links, having a La Liga/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/Champions League winning manager would trump SLP/FA Trophy winning manager

Doubt if Rafa would go there tbh.
    They're not that far off liverpool stature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I'd prefer O'Neill to Hughes. He turned Villa around and got three 6th places and to Wembley.
    I wouldn't discount Rafa, he rushed into the Inter job but having been out for a while I think he'll do well in his next job.
    Moyes would be my top choice but would he leave Everton, compensation then would be an issue. I can't see at the moment what else he can do with Everton. If he had the money Bruce has had to spend, he'd do a fantastic job and his team plays good football. Every time Sunderland have played them, Everton have always had that cutting edge, better passing and better all round game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hughes is the man I'd say. Bruce made some good signings but similar to AVB at Chelsea it just hasn't clicked. Ultimately a last minute goal consigned him to the sack, if Wigan don't win that game Bruce is still in a job. Shows the fickle nature of football management.

Can I ask all the Sunderland fans on here what their expectations are for Sunderland?

Liam O wrote: »
    Can I ask all the Sunderland fans on here what their expectations are for Sunderland?

Top half for me, so 10th.

That said, I do realise it's not always possible with a team like us and we will be up and down so mid-table with no relegation fears all season and no long, win-less run would also be acceptable to me.

I really don't think that's too much to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Paully D wrote: »
    Top half for me, so 10th.

That said, I do realise it's not always possible with a team like us and we will be up and down so mid-table with no relegation fears all season and no long, win-less run would also be acceptable to me.

I really don't think that's too much to ask.
    hmm yeah about what I thought, and I think you have the squad to do it and would have eventually clicked. It may come to fruition for the new manager, we'll see. Would you be happy/satisfied with a 15th place finish at this moment in time?

Liam O wrote: »
    hmm yeah about what I thought, and I think you have the squad to do it and would have eventually clicked. It may come to fruition for the new manager, we'll see. Would you be happy/satisfied with a 15th place finish at this moment in time?

Considering we're only 5 points off 8th place at the moment with a new manager to come in and have the January transfer window, I can't say I'd be happy with 15th. Our fixtures do get trickier over the next couple of months, but I wouldn't expect Norwich, Swansea and QPR to be where they are come the end of the season and I think we could finish ahead of them at least. You look at Stoke who are struggling in the PL with Europe and will get through the group stages, so I think we can finish ahead of them, and West Brom and Fulham aren't frightening me either.

Remember, we have the best goal difference outside the top 7, I know it's not a great indication of anything, but it shows we have the basis of something solid for the new manager to work with.

Would I be happy with say 12th? Yes, I would. But I think we can certainly finish better than 15th.

A finish of around 12th should be the aim this season for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    They're not that far off liverpool stature.

bowiedisapproves.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I'd expect top half. I know there isn't a whole lot between a certain number of clubs. I think it was a tall order though without a decent striker up front. It's important to score goals and take chances in the Premier League. With Bent and Gyan having left, no able replacements have come in. Questions have to be asked why Bent and Gyan wanted to leave as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Don't think Moyes would go for you either, I reckon he's holding out for something bigger than Everton.

Sunderland have a good squad, the right manager could do wonders. Holloway maybe? Big Sam?

The likes of Rafa and Moyes are unrealistic, I agree.

It's basically a straight shoot-out between Hughes and O'Neill now. Hughes is being interviewed tomorrow. Hopefully it all goes well and he's appointed quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You would have to wonder what changed between now and February when they gave him a new contract or even the Summer where they had enough faith in him to give him the Bent funds to buy an entire new first eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

This was coming, Bruce has been saying crazy things all season. His heart didnt seem to be in the job and he didnt seem to want to fight for it any more.

flahavaj wrote: »
    You would have to wonder what changed between now and February when they gave him a new contract or even the Summer where they had enough faith in him to give him the Bent funds to buy an entire new first eleven.

A lot of people actually said at the time that it was ridiculous to give him that contract when we did.

My own theory is that possibly Ellis Short gave it to him on the back of Quinn's advice, and as results stuttered again, Ellis said to himself that he was going to start doing things his way rather than listening to Quinn on footballing matters, which culminated in our chief executive and board members leaving and being replaced by Ellis's own men, and Quinn taking up this pointless role.

I basically think Short has said he's doing things his way now and that's that.

sundula wrote: »
    This was coming, Bruce has been saying crazy things all season. His heart didnt seem to be in the job and he didnt seem to want to fight for it any more.

I'd disagree when you say that his heart didn't seem to be in it.

Personally I think he really tried his very, very best and put everything into it. It was his one big opportunity that he had worked his way up for and it hasn't worked out the way he would have liked.

I can criticise him for a lot of things but lack of effort isn't one of them.

I would disagree, in the last 3 - 4 weeks he seemed very dejected, I detected no real passion and he seemed to be a man who knew he was heading for the door.

I general I would agree that Bruce has tried his best and was very motivated and eager when he got the position and he got good money to spend and got good results. This season just seems to have dragged him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Mark Hughes:eek:!!! is he really the right man? If i was a sunderland fan i would be more than a bit concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mark Hughes:eek:!!! is he really the right man? If i was a sunderland fan i would be more than a bit concerned.

I would class him as a step up from his old united temmate although I only rate Bruce as a bottom half manager.

Rafa & Moyes are (no offense) above Sunderland imo (or atleast I think that they see themselves as such).

Meanwhile MON could come with strings attached i.e wanting control of transfers etc which is the areas he has been criticised for before (if he didnt have final say on certain things and therefore was not likely to screw up a clubs wage bill etc He could be perfect for Sunderland though).

Therefore unless there is another name mentioned I'd assume Hughes would def be a favourite and if as Paulie says he is already lined up for an interview then signs would point towards him as a likely appointee. Atleast it points towards Sunderland not being left in the lurch and wanting to get a new man in fast, a new man who would get as much time as possible and a full transfer window to sort out his squad.

As a Blackburn fan I would offer Sunderland Steve Kean - but alas our owners have tied him into a brand new contract - obviously they didnt want the likes of Chelsea or Barca stepping in and stealing him on the cheap. Stay away from Kean Mr. Ellis. :D, find youre own puppet manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Talk of David Moyes is absolutely crazy IMO, he won't leave Everton unless its for one of the biggest jobs. Personally I reckon he's a good bet to replace Harry Redknapp when he goes to England/jail.

Can never understand people not rating Mark Hughes. Did a good job at Blackburn and Fulham. Things didn't work out at City, but tbf to him, he wasn't given enough time given the wholesale changes he had to make

It seems that alot of the foreign owners like more control over wages/transfer budgets and finance in general than there english counterparts, the trend at alot of clubs is for the appointment of more obident and compliant managers. Martin ONeill is a no go for an american owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Talk of David Moyes is absolutely crazy IMO, he won't leave Everton unless its for one of the biggest jobs. Personally I reckon he's a good bet to replace Harry Redknapp when he goes to England/jail,

Apart Spurs Moyes has little chance of one of the biggest jobs. Sunderland would be a great step for him as the'll have good financial backing and a very good ground with decent support so it's a great foundation for him to work under. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United would be very unlikely to offer him a job tbh. I can't see many fans from any of those clubs being happy with Moyes.

It seems that alot of the foreign owners like more control over wages/transfer budgets and finance in general than there english counterparts, the trend at alot of clubs is for the appointment of more obident and compliant managers. Martin ONeill is a no go for an american owner.

Safe to say that would rule Rafa out. Just saw on Sky there that Lee Clarke is at 16's for the job, behind only Hughes, MON and Rafa. How would the fans react to that?

Apart Spurs Moyes has little chance of one of the biggest jobs. Sunderland would be a great step for him as the'll have good financial backing and a very good ground with decent support so it's a great foundation for him to work under. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United would be very unlikely to offer him a job tbh. I can't see many fans from any of those clubs being happy with Moyes.

Well he wouldn't go to Liverpool for starters. I think Arsenal or Chelsea could be possible. If Arsenal were to replace Wenger, there's not many managers that have as good a record as Moyes without spending money, could be what Arsenal are after. Chelsea go through that many managers, that anything's possible, although I don't think they're capable of such a good decision. United and City I doubt

No disrespect to Sunderland, but why would he go there? Its going to take something special for Moyes to leave Everton, and Sunderland aren't that. They're a smaller club then Everton, and although they have spent money, much of that has been financed by sales. At the very best, it'd be a sideways step

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I would disagree, in the last 3 - 4 weeks he seemed very dejected, I detected no real passion and he seemed to be a man who knew he was heading for the door.

I general I would agree that Bruce has tried his best and was very motivated and eager when he got the position and he got good money to spend and got good results. This season just seems to have dragged him down.

Bruce knew he had lost the fans, he knew it was the final nail in his coffin, there was no repairing of the relationship with them.

As PaullyD said, you can't fault his effort, but with not much else it can only get you so far, he should have got sacked after the copycat disaster run last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Agent Bruce's time is over. :(

A sad day for all Mag's. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Really disappointed to see Bruce go. Was hoping he'd sign some more of United's dead weight in January! :D

I jest, but I do feel a bit sorry for him. Sunderland did very well last year. But since then Bent was sold against Bruce's wishes and then Asamoah Gyan was shipped out after the transfer deadline. Add Danny Wellbeck going back to Man U and Bruce was left with little options up front. I'm not sure Conor Wickham was the right player to buy to address that issue so that is one mistake he made. But overall I thought his other signings were good. And he did well in the transfer market overall, bringing in more money than he spent.

But it's a lack of goals that's been Sunderland's problem, and had things with Bent and Gyan gone differently, he could still be in the job. But they didn't and he isn't.

Hopefully he'll get another job soon. I like the guy.

Advertisement