Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky software Bug = Free Channels ???

Options
  • 24-09-2004 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭

Equipment: Panasonic TU-DSB40 (Sky) Digibox with P2 FTV (BBC supplied) card 80 cm "Lidl" dish with two LNB's with manual switch set up for Hotbird (13 East) and Astra 2 (28 deg East)

I’ve always had some rather annoying software bugs on my system
    1) If I put too many channels into the "add channels/other channels" menu some of the channels at the top end of the EPG would disappear
    2) If I powered off the box for any reason Id loose all my "other channels" when powering back on however this could be overcome by going into the "other channels" menu AS SOON AS I power back on and then exiting again
    3) Some foreign channels (mainly Greek and Balkan) coming up with blue screens (indicating encryption with a system other than that used by Sky) even though they are listed as being FTA and using symbol rates supported by the digibox
    4) Inability to scan for transponders or receive channels with symbol rates other than 22000 and 27500

Recently I added a few (Hotbird) channels to my other channels list only to discover that back on Astra the EPG only went up as far as 431 (Rangers TV) however RANGERS TV APPEARED TO BE COMING IN FREE Assuming that as Rangers TV are a fairly new channel I figured it had gone FTA for a trial period and thought nothing more of it but not having much interest in "old firm" (or football in general) and wanting the channels above 431 back I deleted a couple of "other channels" and rebooted the box only to discover that I had the full EPG up to 999 back but Rangers had disappeared with just a blue screen and "call your broadcaster to upgrade your subscription to receive this channel” message.

Basically I seem to have inadvertently stumbled across yet another (sigh) bug in Sky's software but a rather interesting one from a security point of view. Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I will say quickly on any Sky Digibox, its a known fault/bug that you can't store more than 40 channels in "other channels" as more often than not, it will blank them.

And yes, Sky designed the box so you cant manually change the symbol rates.

With regard to Rangers TV... dunno.. anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The Plot thickens

I now have my full EPG back but Rangers has reappeared !
    If I remove the card the channel disappears

Maybe its some kind of test

ADDS: Its gone again !

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

hush dont let sky know that your getting a channel for free.They don't like the word free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i remember the same thing happened with me before except it was VH2. all i did was remove the card and it stayed on until i powered down the box which was handy

Advertisement