Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beer advent Calender

• 04-11-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Looking to get my hubs a beer advent calender, but the only ones i can seem to find are in Canada...

Has anyone here ever received one, seen one on this side of the pond?

Any help appreciated...
    I know i could just buy 24 bottles of beer, but i want a packaged box or else he would just drink them all :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ales By Mail does them. £60, plus £15 delivery to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Get a box and make one i say, it would be way better. Ask in here and we would give you recommendations on what to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bump

The Weissbier one might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Bump

The Weissbier one might be worth a look.

Not a bad proposition at all, though I wonder if the beers pictured correspond to what you actually get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Not a bad proposition at all, though I wonder if the beers pictures correspond to what you actually get.

I've fired off an email there to see if they have a list. Handy Christmas present for the weiss beer drinking missus if there's a good selection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'd say so.

Got a response.
    hello ,

There are different types of beer . There are white beer , lager or wheat beer .

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
    Ihr Sim-Buy Team

Sandra Wissinger

I assume she doesn't have a lot of English...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Will you not get stung with tax and duty on importing?

I asked a similar question before here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

My dad got wine imported recently and not an additional charge on it, only yesterday the company called him again and he did a repeat order should be here in a couple days, I thought once duty was paid in another EU you're fine, loved the look of the advent one myself so would ne nice to know for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BobMc wrote: »
    My dad got wine imported recently and not an additional charge on it, only yesterday the company called him again and he did a repeat order should be here in a couple days, I thought once duty was paid in another EU you're fine, loved the look of the advent one myself so would ne nice to know for sure

Your Dad was lucky (as lots of people are).
    However, any alcohol imported is liable for duty and VAT (EU or otherwise).

There are basically 3 possible outcomes to importing alcohol this way.

1. The stuff arrives without additional charge.
    2. The stuff arrives but with a bill for the VAT and duty (fair enough really, when you consider that every legal drinks importer has to pay these charges).
    3. The stuff is seized by customs and you loose the lot.

• Advertisement

wow, better give him heads up tis e250.00 worth of italys finest :)

phoned revenue, looking on the site your only liable for Excise duty, not VAT or import duty, trying to find the rate now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

phoned revenue, looking on the site your only liable for Excise duty, not VAT or import duty, trying to find the rate now

AFAIK, you are liable for VAT too.
    Maybe not on the value of the product (if that has been paid locally) but you would be liable for VAT on the duty (yes, tax on tax) and possibly on the carriage costs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

AFAIK, you are liable for VAT too.
    Yep:
    Where excisable products that have been subject to tax in another Member State and delivered to a private individual in the State, excise duty and VAT must be paid in the State. These "distance sales" include purchases via the internet or by mail order (e.g. from a newspaper advertisement).

The necessary arrangements for payment of the excise duty and VAT (at the standard rate) in the State must be made by the trader who sells and delivers the products. These arrangements include registration for VAT in the State.
    Link.

so whats the verdict on the beer on groupon, not a mention in t/c's about duty etc, worth a chance or no

so whats the verdict on the beer on groupon, not a mention in t/c's about duty etc, worth a chance or no

I've taken a punt on it. I'm assuming they're not gonna sting us for duty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

I went to buy this for my oh and the classic beer is gone. He drinks heineken/carlsberg would you go with the light beer or the wheat beer please?

tazwaz wrote: »
    I went to buy this for my oh and the classic beer is gone. He drinks heineken/carlsberg would you go with the light beer or the wheat beer please?

Are they very small bottles?

tazwaz wrote: »
    Are they very small bottles?

The light beer one actually looks like decent brands in there. If your OH likes Carslberg and Heineken he should enjoy them. I'd recommend it over the classic box anyway as it's better value cause they're larger bottles (500ml).

irish_goat wrote: »
    The light beer one actually looks like decent brands in there. If your OH likes Carslberg and Heineken he should enjoy them. I'd recommend it over the classic box anyway as it's better value cause they're larger bottles (500ml).

Thanks for that, ordered them :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Anyone got theirs yet? Ordered the other day but no sign yet and December 1st is edging closer.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Anyone got theirs yet? Ordered the other day but no sign yet and December 1st is edging closer.

Mines was shipped from Bavaria on Saturday. There's a DPD tracking number with it but it's not working on the DPD site. :confused:

Wouldn't expect it to arrive for a few days yet.

Mines was shipped from Bavaria on Saturday. There's a DPD tracking number with it but it's not working on the DPD site. :confused:

Wouldn't expect it to arrive for a few days yet.

DPD? Best spend the next week waiting at the door so. Miss them and they're tricky to arrange an alternative time in my experience.

Have an email now to say the order has been dispatched (again). This time, the DPD tracking is working and it says it's been dispatched from a different part of Bavaria and is currently in a hub near Dortmund. I'd assume it'll be someday next week before I'm seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michael__67

Anyone had their beer advent calendar delivered yet?

Anyone had their beer advent calendar delivered yet?
    No, waiting over a week at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I ordered the light beer advent calendar for the laugh. I really hope by light they mean 'helles' but we'll see. Haven't heard a thing since though so I doubt I'll see it for at least another week.

Will probably have to do a few sessions to catch up on the calendar by the time it arrives!

Have received another dispatch email and the DPD tracking now says it's in Birmingham. Getting there.

Have received another dispatch email and the DPD tracking now says it's in Birmingham. Getting there.

I'm not getting any of these dispatch emails. Did you order through Groupon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

dan1895 wrote: »
    I'm not getting any of these dispatch emails. Did you order through Groupon?

I haven't got one either

Advertisement