Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco Revisionist Beers

Options
  • 02-11-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My local Tesco in Stillorgan has a new range of "Revisionist" beers which seem to be brewed "exclusively for Tesco". They are 500ml bottles and my guess is they are aimed at competing with the Carlow Brewing Company O'Hara's range and Aldi's own label range O'Shea's which I know is also produced by the Carlow Brewing Company.

The Revisionist range is "craft brewed" by Marstons in the UK and are currently retailing for €2.99 a bottle but I expect them to be included in the 4 for €9 offers Tesco frequently offered for O'Hara's and other craft beers fairly soon.

2572hy9.jpg

I've got the Belgian Saison beer open and it wouldn't be my cup of tea. I've also got one of the Dark IPA and one Rye Pale Ale to try later.

Anyone tried them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I had their steam beer. It was ok... Anchor won't be quaking in their boots.

I can see how English beer drinkers might like it though.

I have the Saison and Rye here to try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

This is interesting.

I'll be quite happy to try them but I hope they don't replace the staples of old in Tesco's offers.

If they do, there will always be Dunnes though.

Just drinking the saison now. I quite like it, but I like this style. Not near as fully bodied as Ryan and the Beaster Bunny - my go to saison at the mo - but pretty decent to my taste anyway.

Again maybe a tamed version of the style.

Will try them all anyway, just for research!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The lager is, or used to be, a permanent fixture on keg in JD Wetherspoon. It's not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

saw them tonight in tesco wilton at 2.99 a bit rich for own brand i think . got a solas red ale and stout ( rye river ) instead 1.89 a piece and very nice too. saw another new brew colgans ( made at rye river also) they had ipa and wheat 8 euro a 4 pack. after previous dissapointments with Mcgargles i will wait and see how its rated by others first

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    The lager is, or used to be, a permanent fixture on keg in JD Wetherspoon. It's not very good.

Ah yes, that rang a bell. Are the pubs they mention in the signs all Spoons then? Presumably it's referring to the UK market primarily.

BeerNut wrote: »

I think it's a different brew in the bottle? Not sure... and haven't tried either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Are the pubs they mention in the signs all Spoons then?
    I doubt it. Marston's owns more than twice as many pubs as JD Wetherspoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Tried the Saison - not to my taste.

Tried the Dark IPA - neither a stout nor an IPA in my book. Won't be buying it again.

Tried the Rye IPA - not a patch on O'Hara's/O'Shea's/Proper Job etc. It just seems a bit flat/bland. I can't quite put my finger on it but it doesn't hit the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Drinking the IPA now and enjoying it. Nothing to spectacular but I'll still try out the others during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Tried the steam, Rye IPA and dark IPA.
    All seem to be playing it safe, i.e. nothing too offensive while dabbling in the craft market.

They are a welcome addition as a last option if there is nothing decent stocked at the time, but certainly not a go to beer in my book,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I had the wheat and it's pretty mediocre, nothing wrong with it, just lacks the complexity of a decent Bavarian wheat beer. It's sitting beside bottles of Franziskaner at £1.50 at the minute so I'll not be buying it again.

The consensus seems to be it's an OK range of beer but nothing to write home about. I suspect what we might be seeing is a range which is temporarily priced at a premium €2.99 for launch but will frequently be available on special for €1.75 to €1.99 in order to compete on price against more distinctive/attractive/established competitors.

Not quite "Yellow Pack" craft beer but the 2014/2015 marketing re-incarnation of same.

BenEadir wrote: »

Not quite "Yellow Pack" craft beer but the 2014/2015 marketing re-incarnation of same.

The words 'brewed by Marstons' hardly get the heart pumping at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

BenEadir wrote: »
    Tried the Rye IPA - not a patch on O'Hara's/O'Shea's/Proper Job etc. It just seems a bit flat/bland. I can't quite put my finger on it but it doesn't hit the spot.

quite liked the rye Ipa myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Had the dark ipa earlier, very nice, great bit of flavour to it, I'd recommend it.
    I'm tipping into the rye ipa at the moment, it's nice, nothing fantastic but imo it's better than most.
    I got these on the four for nine deal and at that price I think they're a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The dark IPA is bland & is suffering from an identity crisis, still very drinkable.
    The rye ale could do with more hops IMHO, but it is my favourite so far.
    The saison is also quaffable, the South pacific red ale likewise.
    Overall a pretty inoffensive collection of beers, overpriced at €2.99 considering what it's up against in the ever growing market of beers available, but at 4 for €9, I would buy again.

Went for the 4 for €9 deal (which is exactly how I expect this range to be priced most of the time) and tried a couple of the Lagers. Pretty good actually as I was in the mood for something lighter (in taste) than my usual IPA and I'd recommend it.

I can see the Rye Pale Ale and the Lager becoming regulars for the following reasons:-

1. I am fed up going to Aldi only to find out they once again don't have any O'Shea's IPA
    2. Revisionist Rye Pale Ale on the 4 for €9 is good value relative to normally priced O'Hara's, Proper Job etc.
    3. I have a Tesco nearby which has a good fridge stocked with Revisionist so I can grab some pretty good, pretty good value cold beers which are ready to drink on my way home on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up 4 in the 4 for €9 deal. The Steam Beer, Rye Pale Ale, Red Ale and The Wheat Beer. In fairness they're not that bad. Nothing out of this world but I really liked the Rye Pale Ale, and the Red was nice for what it was, could take or leave the other two though.

However, they all left me with the feeling that somebody made a nice enough set of beers and then Tesco said, "We need you to reduce the manufacturing costs" and they duly obliged by cutting back on the key ingredients like hops and barley. They all have a slightly watery taste to them.

I'd have no problem getting the Rye Ale again but only if it was on offer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Have to concur with the above, have tried the red, didnt like it but love the Rye.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    However, they all left me with the feeling that somebody made a nice enough set of beers and then Tesco said, "We need you to reduce the manufacturing costs" and they duly obliged by cutting back on the key ingredients like hops and barley. They all have a slightly watery taste to them.

Dutch Gold was once a Trappist beer but Spar and Centra eventually reduced it to its current form...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Dutch Gold was once a Trappist beer but Spar and the Centra eventually reduced it to its current form...

There's a massive canyon between "Tarp Piss" and "Trappist".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Revisionist Stout is on tap in Spoons, and is decent enough. Not as flavoursome as the Dark Side mind, but a passable nitro stout all the same

Advertisement