Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you get an FTV card working.

• 02-09-2004 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Is it ok to get get a FTV card and use it in your sub box.

What I mean is can you swap them over and back as much as you want.

Do you have to ring sky and tell them that you have a FTV card and you would like marry it to the box, or can you just stick it in.

Would they notice you swapping the cards.

If its the mirror sub box, would this cause any trouble to the main Sky+ box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Do not ring Sky and tell them that you have a FTV card.

If the card has been activated then you should be able to swap it in and out for your sub card whenever you want. Always disconnect the phone line before you swap in the FTV card (and make sure you reconnect it after as you need it connected for the mirror sub).

If you have not got the card yet I would advise you to wait and see what happens when Sky re-introduce them later this year. They are not worth the money that they are fetching on EBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

How do you activate the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jimbob wrote:
    How do you activate the card.
    You can't any more (they stopped activating the BBC-issued ones over a year ago and the ITV/C4/Sky-issued ones last January).

If it comes unactivated it's largely useless except for having the BBC channels on the EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

sceptre wrote:
    You can't any more (they stopped activating the BBC-issued ones over a year ago and the ITV/C4/Sky-issued ones last January).

If it comes unactivated it's largely useless except for having the BBC channels on the EPG.

How does a person get the channels by sat in England.

Say they have a Sky sub, and get hold of another box but just want bbc itv C4 on the second box.
    Can they ring sky and ask them for one of those cards.
    Would the card come activated for any machine.
    What happens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

At the moment the only wat to get ITV, Ch4 and five by sat is if you subscribe to a Sky package.

There is a new service coming out as I mentioned above which will allow UK viewers to get a card for £20 (or dish, digibox, installation and card for £150).

Previously when FTV cards were issued they were sent out and then you (or your contact in the UK) had to phone the FTV number and match the card to the box. This was simply a case of giving your UK contact the details from your box and then they repeating it to the folks at the other end of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Surely its is still possible to reactivate cards with the "pout method" (see the sticky threads)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

ShaneOC wrote:
    Do not ring Sky and tell them that you have a FTV card.

If the card has been activated then you should be able to swap it in and out for your sub card whenever you want. Always disconnect the phone line before you swap in the FTV card (and make sure you reconnect it after as you need it connected for the mirror sub).

I have the same setup as you as I have a Sky+ box and second digibox with a mirror card both of them are connected to phone line all the time. Last week I got a Active FTV Card on ebay and tried it in the Sky+ box (with phone line plug out) and work perfectly so can I keep swapping around the FTV Card and Sub card by taking out phone line when using a FTV card and putting it back in when using the sub card? The second box (with mirror card) will alway be connected phone line as I only use the FTV card in the SKY+ box along with the irish sub card but will Sky find out if I don't have phone line in when I using a FTV card?
    Please write back

Answer to that last question is to just plug out the phone line from whichever box you have the ftv car in, before you put it in and then when you are domne put the irish card back and the phone line
    It wont matter if its just for a few hours
    You could just take part in a sky news phone poll from the box that has been disconnected from the phone if you are worried-but tbh you would usually have to have the box disconnected for days for it to miss enough call backs to sky for them to twig something is wrong.
    After all if you are on the phone yourself the box could try a call back and it wouldnt suceed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Mike 1972 wrote:
    Surely its is still possible to reactivate cards with the "pout method" (see the sticky threads)

Pout method going a bit back in history, the NASN system might still work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

Earthman wrote:
    Answer to that last question is to just plug out the phone line from whichever box you have the ftv car in, before you put it in and then when you are domne put the irish card back and the phone line
    It wont matter if its just for a few hours
    You could just take part in a sky news phone poll from the box that has been disconnected from the phone if you are worried-but tbh you would usually have to have the box disconnected for days for it to miss enough call backs to sky for them to twig something is wrong.
    After all if you are on the phone yourself the box could try a call back and it wouldnt suceed.

Thanks for your info Earthman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Pout method going a bit back in history

It still works though (or at least it did last time I checked) Pout are now called Xplicit 984

Basically you take out a months subscription to a adult channel (cost £5 -£8) and the nice folks reactivate your card (not sure if your card/box has to be physically in the UK at time of activation)

Even an unactivated FTV card will get ITV Channel 4 and 5 via the "add channels/Other Channels" method

Advertisement