Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground loop Hummmmm

Options
  • 22-01-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Guys
    Has anyone got some ideas to cure a woefull hi pitch whine/hum being caused by my laptops power supply. Im using a laptop connected to a hercules 4mx and then onto powered speakers.

Theres jack or rca connections on the hercules but im justing the jack's for the powered speakers so I obviously cant use an RCA cable isolator. Incedently if I run the outputs via RCA into my home amp and speakers theres no ground hum only on the powered speakers.

Ive tried the laptop power supply on the same power supply lead as the speakers, on its own lead, seperated wires as far from one another to minimize interference and tried different cable but the only way its going is on battery power or using a 2 pin plug adapter removing the ground from the laptop plug which I dont really want to do

Is there any other options available to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PremierDJ

A universal power two pin power adaptor should fix the problem. €35 or thereabouts. Make sure it's compatible with your model notebook.

Like this one

You could also try this, I have one but have never required it as a hum eliminator, works well as a transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Thanks for that.
    I'm wondering as a cheaper option would I get away with using RCA to jack cables as I have no interference using the RCA connections as it is. Have you any idea if I need an RCA split to 1 jack and loop from the output of the speaker or RCA split to 2 jacks and 1 to each speaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PremierDJ

5500 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I'm wondering as a cheaper option would I get away with using RCA to jack cables as I have no interference using the RCA connections as it is. Have you any idea if I need an RCA split to 1 jack and loop from the output of the speaker or RCA split to 2 jacks and 1 to each speaker?
    EDIT: Just re-read first post
    You have no interference off the RCA on your home stereo because the speakers don't have their own power supply, doubt it will work with the powered speakers if you try it but I could be wrong. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can help you further but my advice is to stump up for a new PSU, you will most likely be able to use it with any laptop you have in future, eliminating the problem for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

You need one of these if you havent got one already :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ground-loop-isolator-33172

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Same thing used to happen to me.

Really dont recommend this cause its probably really unsafe but it works.

I used to wrap a little bit of plastic round the ground pin before i stuck it into the plug socket (a bit of a twix wrapper i think it was actually)

works a charm... but could possibly burn ur gaff down

• Advertisement
Advertisement