Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin Woods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

We have set up this group to show the positive uses of merlin woods and how it is an asset to our city. a large biodiverse area , a quiet place to walk with out noise from traffic , a place which is used by schools for orienteering, an historical area and many other things. There is a proposed bus corridor and we feel this would have a major negative impact in the area , with approx 266 buses using it daily.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/128207273995064/

anyone with an interest in preserving the woods please join the group and pass on info to anyone who uses the woods for any purpose
    thanks...

Merlin Woods clean up this Sun Nov 18th at 11pm. Hope that some of you will be able to attend as the woods is in dire need of a clean up...

https://www.facebook.com/events/111014972393422/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

11 am i presume?

yes sorry :/ 11am !!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

What is the proposed road route and is there a map. Has it achieved planning/go ahead and when is it proposed to start? Is there an alternative route?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

brutes1 wrote: »
    What is the proposed road route and is there a map. Has it achieved planning/go ahead and when is it proposed to start? Is there an alternative route?

I would like to know the same. Is this road going to be build from Doughiska Rd or parallel to Dublin Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can find the Galway City Development Plan, 2011-2017 here: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Planning/DevelopmentPlanandPolicySection/GalwayCityDevelopmentPlan20112017/

Details of the proposed bus-corridor are in there.

If you click the Galway City Map link (http://gis.galwaycity.ie/devplanflipbook/maps/city.htm) and your web-browser is ok (may only work with IE and/or if you have Flash 10 installeed), you get a map that you can zoom in to. The dark black dotted line thru the woods in the proposed road. Essentially a continuation of the motorway (techincally it's N6 not motorway at that point), but for buses only

Great way to cut a community in half, and destroy a badly needed recreational amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭jkforde

for those who can't/unable to get that map to work here's a screenshot of the relevant zoomed section...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

This is a link to a page from Galway citys counci site. If you zoom in, you can see the proposed route http://gis.galwaycity.ie/devplanflipbook/maps/city.htm

Really great for people living in Coil Tire/Tur Uisce. If they build that road, they will destroy one nice playground for children on this side of town and great green walking/jogging/cycling areas.
    Truly modern pro health thinking! :(

-and its absolutely pointless! according to that map, traffic from that road would join Dublin road again near road to Oranmore and will be stack again before already existing bus lane is ending!

The first stage of this plan will be the new entrance to the Merlin Hospital, while we all know there is a need to solve the traffic problem at the dangerous junction, we are wondering why lights are not put in , one excuse I heard was that it was too near to the other lights...have they ever driven down Newcastle rd!! no problem putting lights on that road..This part of the road is sent forward for design and planning and if it takes the route on the development plan then lots of trees will go further dividing and decimating the southwoods .The other thing to note is how much illegal parking is continuing in Merlin Park Hospital and ratrunning between Merlin Lane and the Dublin Rd entrance.The main thing to note is people are not aware of the plans for this route so getting that information out there is imperative and our media don't seem to want to report or most of our councillors are turning a blind eye . They are forgetting the fact that is the ,largest and most diverse woodland in the city of Galway, full of wildlife , used by many people from all walks of life. It barely got a mention on the council website before Friends of Merlin Woods started highlighting and Galwaycity Biodiversity website put a page up about it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Thanks for the info
    So is it still at proposal stage or has it planning ( or does it need it ) or has it got official go ahead from the NRA or Dept of Transport or City Council?
    Agree it would be a damn shame to see one of the few green areas in the city of any scale disturbed or built upon
    Plenty of roads nearby for bus corridors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Seriously, is this going to make such a huge difference to bus travel times to Dublin? Taking 900 metres off a 218km journey, when the section you are bypassing already has a bus corridor or is dual carriageway for 90% of its length?

Surely the most basic cost-benefit analysis would find that replacing a 2.7km section of bus corridor/dual carriageway with 1.8km of bus corridor, by cutting a swathe through a neighbourhood park and paving a new road, doesn't make sense either economically or socially. How much is it going to cost to clear and pave the new road? Who's going to pay for it? The bus companies that will be using it??? Or the council, who should be concentrating on servicing their stakeholders needs, rather than pandering to private bus operators....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What have they started building beside the primary school. Is this the start of that road?

Exactly dosen't make economic sense at all but this plan is in existence for many years, it only makes sense if you were looking at the land for prime development once the road goes through which of course would devastate the area completely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What have they started building beside the primary school. Is this the start of that road?

That's the new access road into the schools (primary and secondary on same site). Access was originally planned to go through Tur Uisce but the council agreed to make a separate access road due to residents' concerns.

I think it looks quite wide for just a school access. :/

it will be part of the road aswell. eventually which will run from the motor way across the remains of Bothar Na Cailligh a 12th century road and then between the park/playground on one side and school and residential area on the other side. School will be using the park sportsgrounds aswell.so they will be crossing this road everyday and children will be crossing the road to use playground, which they can do safely now but not if the continuation of the road goes through. Not to mention the joyriders who will easy access to the woods...creating yet more destruction in the woods

• Advertisement

Caggles wrote: »
    School will be using the park sportsgrounds aswell.

Will Doughiska park remain open for public,or it will be just schoolground? :(
    It all sounds horrible!

Yeah as far as I know it will always be open to public. Kids will just use it for playing sports during the day . Its a large park plenty of room for everyone:)

Caggles wrote: »
    Its a large park plenty of room for everyone:)
    Yes,but there wouldnt be if they put a fence around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I'm far from an environmentalist but this does seem a little unnecessary. Widen existing roads if possible first. A decent public transport system is key to reducing the number of cars on the road and pollution caused by them.

I'm far from an environmentalist but this does seem a little unnecessary. Widen existing roads if possible first. A decent public transport system is key to reducing the number of cars on the road and pollution caused by them.

-and yet Galway buses are ancient smelly vehicles without air conditioning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

sorsha wrote: »
    -and yet Galway buses are ancient smelly vehicles without air conditioning. :(
    No they are relatively modern vehicles which i have rarely seen to be smelly and id be a regular user of these services and also have far less emissions than their predecessors. Why would they need air con when there are numerous windows on board and most journeys are on average around15/20 minutes.

No they are relatively modern vehicles which i have rarely seen to be smelly and id be a regular user of these services and also have far less emissions than their predecessors. Why would they need air con when there are numerous windows on board and most journeys are on average around15/20 minutes.

:rolleyes: maybe my sense of smell is better and I am used to better buses than.. but every time I am on bus in Galway I feel sick.

(I am talking about double deckers that cover 409 rout)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

sorsha wrote: »
    :rolleyes: maybe my sense of smell is better and I am used to better buses than.. but every time I am on bus in Galway I feel sick.

(I am talking about double deckers that cover 409 rout)
    Again that would be the route id use most frequently. Ive never seen so much as a dirty seat let alone these smells that you get.

These might help you.........http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dramamine-Motion-Sickness-Relief-12-Count/dp/B001KYS4DK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366379115&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+sickness+tablets.

Oh and :rolleyes:!

Again that would be the route id use most frequently. Ive never seen so much as a dirty seat let alone these smells that you get.

These might help you.........http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dramamine-Motion-Sickness-Relief-12-Count/dp/B001KYS4DK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366379115&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+sickness+tablets.

Oh and :rolleyes:!

OMG-no thanks, I don't feel sick at all on modern buses. They are just filthy and seats smell like old drunk man, your nose must be disabled in some way if you dont get it!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Also a regular user of the 409 and have never found them to be smelly buses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement