Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dj courses in Dublin

Options
  • 22-02-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Me again. Since I haven't managed to make time to actually learn how to dj/learn how to use my equipment, I'm thinking of paying someone to show me stuff and make me make time.

I have a numark director D2 and a cm200 usb mixer. I'm into r'n'b, hip hop, bit of garage, house, latin, afro beat you get the picture.

Can anyone recommend a good DJ course for a little lady like me?

Thanks a mill,

Sian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Ring the The Dublin Media Centre in Dun Laoighre (01) 2844 773 they have Dj courses and are very good. The course runs for 3 consecutive Saturdays between 11.00am and 6.00pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

dunno about any DJ courses but if you wanna learn the basics get in touch with us Smithfield Factory Crew,experienced DJ;s, no charge either, mostly dance music from old skool to house music.... send PM.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Run

Hi

Id be interested in dj classes too. When/where/how in smithfield? Sounds class. Love dance, house, hip hop, everything.

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Disco2Disco

Temple Bar Music Center/Sound Training Center is the only place to consider really....I think places are nearly full or they were filling up last time I checked.

I know a few lads who have did the course in there and they can't speak higher of it!

Thanks, just looking at that course, looks good, but its a 1000 euro and only in my wildest dreams can I afford that!

thanks anyway

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Run wrote: »
    Thanks, just looking at that course, looks good, but its a 1000 euro and only in my wildest dreams can I afford that!

thanks anyway

R

fuk sake,please tell me its not 1000 euros to teach someone how to dj.

im gonna get on my high horse now and say you should sell your decks now because you clearly dont have enough interest in djing if you wont even look at youtube and practice.

its all about practice.no course is going to catapult you to the top of the dj skills chart.

why dont you pm me with a list of songs youd like mixed and ill do it for 20 quid:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow I'd say there is actually a big market to make shed loads of money doing this... Anyone want to quit their job with me and do it?

Zascar wrote: »
    Wow I'd say there is actually a big market to make shed loads of money doing this... Anyone want to quit their job with me and do it?

ive no job so im game

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

We have to think of snappy titles. How about "Vice President".... no no no actually "Junior Vice President! ;)

• Advertisement

oh thats any easy one, cos I dont have the internet at home, and I dont have my decks at work.

sheesh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

oh thats any easy one, cos I dont have the internet at home, and I dont have my decks at work.

sheesh

Do you live in a cave?

Who doesn't have internets at home these days? I mean, how do you function man?

and seannash, as youve no job, you clearly have ample time for practice, and getting you to mix the tunes for me kind of defeats the whole purpose of me learning how to mix. actually, nothing youve said makes any sense.

er cos i dont need it. im always out. and i have the net all day at work. How much net access does a man need?

Anyway Im since after discovering a series of tutorials on you tube by a guy called ellaskins, link: http://www.djtutor.com/ellaskins/index.php

So for the people who actually want practical help and want to learn, I recommend they download all his tutorials. To everyone else that thinks theyre deadly, muchas para nada.

R

and seannash, as youve no job, you clearly have ample time for practice, and getting you to mix the tunes for me kind of defeats the whole purpose of me learning how to mix. actually, nothing youve said makes any sense.

ive been djing for about 12 years.learned when i was working full time and continued to practice whilst i was employed.

if you put in dj tutorials on youtube ellaskin is the first thing to pop up(as you have done)

how you havent looked at the youtube option before you wanted to fork out cash for lessons is beyond me.

i just saved you some money there by "forcing" you to go to youtube.so what i have said does make sense and im the only one who gave you the youtube option in this thread right

now did you really think i expected you to get me to mix tunes for you.the point is if you dont have the drive to do it yourself and practice,the hobby of djing isnt for you.

Zascar wrote: »
    We have to think of snappy titles. How about "Vice President".... no no no actually "Junior Vice President! ;)

ill be in charge of "keeping it real" and you can demonstrate the "future" and the "possibilities"

i can see it now,we'll fake a little bit of contempt for each others way of djing to our pupils and they will inevitably pick sides/favourites.

secretly we'll be in the office counting our wonga and high fiving our way to unlimited earning potential

yawn...

man you really are a special guy.

yawn...

man you really are a special guy.

tell the truth before you read what i said you never considered youtube.
    now you have and your raving about the tutorials on it.

you can say thanks to me,noone will think any less of you.

i actually wish i had let you go out and spend money on lessons now:)

nobodys listening to you man!!!

nobodys listening to you man!!!

eh,bit contradicting right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

It was a joke - lighten up buddy.

And yes, Ellaskins is very good. And there are lots and lots of instances of people on boards suggesting his videos - have a scan through this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055534214

Any chance of making that thread a sticky MODS?

ah thats super handy, cheers man.

R

ianuss wrote: »
    It was a joke - lighten up buddy.

And yes, Ellaskins is very good. And there are lots and lots of instances of people on boards suggesting his videos - have a scan through this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055534214

Any chance of making that thread a sticky MODS?

+1 sticky that for the love of god:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

seriously if you can't figure out how to dj, you should never be allowed dj in public. simples.

jtsuited wrote: »
    seriously if you can't figure out how to dj, you should never be allowed dj in public. simples.

oh no you di int

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

There's a really good djing course in the Bray Institute of further education. It also includes music production so if your only interested in the djing side of things it mightn't be for you. www.bife.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

jtsuited wrote: »
    ha ha - so true

But I did get thinking about how I started out, and yea I figured it out for myself - but that was after growing up in a house with a 'record player'. Some of the people posting up here (late teens), may have grown up never having seen a turntable before - and perhaps it's just a little fear of the unknown?

I'm mean - I'm not that old (32), but my first music purchase (at around 7 I think) was a vinyl (not I'm NOT telling you what it was, far too embarrassing) - the only thing in our house to play music was the record player - music=vinyl in those days. There was no cassette deck in our house (my auntie had one though), this was even before walkmans had reached these shores! It's a completely different experience growing up now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Ok reread the thread, if someone who's grown up in this era, is computer literate, has the software and a music collection and some kind of usb controlller/mixer, and is STILL asking how to DJ..... f*cking forget about it. They probably want the person to hold their hand and whisper sweet nothings in their ear while they're at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

er cos i dont need it. im always out. and i have the net all day at work. How much net access does a man need?

Anyway Im since after discovering a series of tutorials on you tube by a guy called ellaskins, link: http://www.djtutor.com/ellaskins/index.php

So for the people who actually want practical help and want to learn, I recommend they download all his tutorials. To everyone else that thinks theyre deadly, muchas para nada.

R

yeah iv looked at a lot of his vids and found them really helpful, anyone should deffinetly check his vids out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Back 2 Basics

Dunno if this is still relavant but I am a sound engineer/Dj of 17 years and i could do anyone a 12 week coarse in dj'ing taking them through the basics of music perception right up to advance mixing in my own personal home studio.the classes could be done in two's or one to one,it would involve some therory and small tests and hands on/on some of the best equipment available to djs. Also on differant media to,Vinyl,cd,mp3, I would also include a small section on Radio presentation with maybe a visit to one....the cost would be 360euros.the coarse would start in september or sooner if needed.

Advertisement