Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabyte Windforce 3x R9 280x or Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC for 1080p gaming?

Options
  • 29-06-2015 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hello all, I will soon be building a gaming rig for myself. I have a 1080p samsung monitor and I am more than happy with it.

I want to keep the GPU for next 3-4 years. I can get 280x for 195 euros and the 290 for 289 euros. Its nearly 100 euro difference.

Will the 280 handle games for next 4 years on High/Ultra, or do I need the 290 for High/Ultra for next 4 years?

Is the price difference worth it? I want the card that will give me solid performance for next 3-4 years on High/Ultra.

My CPU would be either FX 8320 or 8350, and XFX pro 550w PSU.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Stick with the i3 in the other thread mate. If the 290 fits the budget get it, but neither card will play every game on High-Ultra for 4 years, you'd be looking for atleast a 980Ti (€700+) for that

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hunt3R

Stick with the i3 in the other thread mate. If the 290 fits the budget get it, but neither card will play every game on High-Ultra for 4 years, you'd be looking for atleast a 980Ti (€700+) for that

My budget is now 800 euro, trying to get the best gpu i can right now. i3 may be better now but in the near future, AMDs 8 core processor will destroy it... I will stick with 8320, for now.
    Once i have enough money, I will get a new motherboard and i5 XXXK edition.

So.. should I get the 280x? and I may have enough for i5.

I wouldn't make a call like that on DX12 until we see more of it

Should be able to fit a GTX 970 with the budget increase, best card of the three for 1080p

I wouldn't make a call like that on DX12 until we see more of it

Should be able to fit a GTX 970 with the budget increase, best card of the three for 1080p

You know what,
    I will just wait until I have enough for Intel core i5 4960k and GTX 970.

One more question, will 2 gb VRAM suffice for next few years for 1080p gaming?

• Advertisement

Yeah, even 1gb should be grand for a while

Yeah, even 1gb should be grand for a while
    That's great then, I will wait until I have enough for i5 and 770..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would stick with the i3, 8320 is a power guzzler, bad single thread performance, and it's a dead end socket. At least getting an i3 means better performance now, and down the line, there'll be tons of second hand options to pick from in the i5 and i7-K lines. Intel CPU's typically last for years. AMD ones not so much.

Buying now, I'd take a GPU with 3GB Vram. It's not necessary right now at 1080P but you cannot expect to build a machine that's going to last years without any upgrades on a budget like that either.

The R9 280X can't play all new games at ultra at 1080p, let alone in 4 years.

The GTX970 is more or less the same as the R9 290, so there's no need to wait really if you can afford an R9 290 now. The i3 will be fine for now also, can be upgraded to an i5-K model when you have the money or want to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There a re lot of Windforce 3x SKUs, I have the 4gb an its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have the R9 290 you have mentioned in the OP and chuffed with it.

While I havn't tried Witcher 3 yet( on my backlog) any other game I've thrown at it has been high FPS at high-ultra settings at 1080p res, no issues.

Although personally I normally don't max out graphics as I prefer high FPS( I historically havnt had a rig that could do both) my current setup, after upgrading from a 270x to the Trix 290, allows me to maintain high fps and ultra settings on just about anything I've put at it.

Happy user here, runs relatively cool and quiet to boot also.

• Advertisement

Ended up with this build:

Sapphire r9 290 Tri-X
    Amd Fx 8350
    8gb hyperX
    Super Flower 550w 80+ Bronze
    Sharkoon Vs3-V
    ASUS FHD monitor

Total cost ( including Paypal charge and Shipping ): 746

Will upgrade to i5 5th gen K edition next Year!

One question, I read somewhere that its possible to "turn" the 290 into 290x.
    I have a sapphire 290 tri-X card, its also available in 290x edition..

Is it possible for the 290 to match and/or outperform the 290X?

Also, If I limit the card's temperature to extend its longevity, would bitcoin mining worth it. You know, mining when Im just browsing the web and stuff and not like leaving it on overnight just to it mine.

With a serious bit of overclocking, and then consider the 290X wouldn't be overclocked, then yes it would.

Why would you go AM3+ only to ditch it several months later? It would have been so much easier to get a decent board and an i3 now and then just swap out the i3 for an i5 whenever you wanted. Now you'll have to swap the full board and cpu out, re-install Windows, and you still have a processor now that's inferior to the i3 in the vast majority of games and uses way more power. :confused:

It's one thing if you planned keeping the 8320 for 5 years and are willing to overclock it, but buying an am3+ board and cpu only to take it all out and replace with s1150 and an i5 in several months just doesn't make sense.

Why would you go AM3+ only to ditch it several months later? It would have been so much easier to get a decent board and an i3 now and then just swap out the i3 for an i5 whenever you wanted. Now you'll have to swap the full board and cpu out, re-install Windows, and you still have a processor now that's inferior to the i3 in the vast majority of games and uses way more power. :confused:

It's one thing if you planned keeping the 8320 for 5 years and are willing to overclock it, but buying an am3+ board and cpu only to take it all out and replace with s1150 and an i5 in several months just doesn't make sense.

I just thought about that, I sent them an email saying I want to modify my order. Replace the 8350 and the AM3+ motherboard with I3 4360 and LGA1150 motherboard. Hope they change it before its too late.

Will the i3 4060 bottleneck r9 290?

I wont be upgrading to i5 for another year or so..

Not really. The i3 would be a few frames behind the i5 in the vast majority of games and on-par or faster than the 8320 in most also.

I know in GTA V and The Witcher 3 the i3-4160 can pull about 70fps with a Titan, so I think you're safe enough with your 290 :)

Not really. The i3 would be a few frames behind the i5 in the vast majority of games and on-par or faster than the 8320 in most also.

I know in GTA V and The Witcher 3 the i3-4160 can pull about 70fps with a Titan, so I think you're safe enough with your 290 :)

Thats great. Hope they change my order.. if they don't, I will just get a beast cooler and overclock it t 4.5ghz :D

Not too worried about the power consumption. :P

If they ship the parts today, when can I expect it? Tuesday?

Probably about a week from now

• Advertisement

Ok, Hardwareversand didn't change my order and shipped my 290 build ( the one I ordered originally ). Not only that, UPS screwed up too.. My delivery is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Apparently, they are experiencing " Emergency Situation or Severe Weather ". I called them and they have the most useless customer service EVER. Worse than hardwareversand.

Needless to say, I am super pissed. Anyone had this problem ordering from hardwareversand/UPS?

here is the history, if any of you want to know

07/06/2015 1:00 P.M. An emergency situation or severe weather condition has delayed delivery. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

Herne-Boernig, Germany 07/03/2015 9:41 P.M. Origin Scan

Germany 07/03/2015 6:02 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

UPS are a pain in the arse, they are wholly unequiped for irelands non existant postal system (not there fault, but every other courier manages just fine), anytime I or friends get parcels they fet stuck in limbo until you contact them with instructions. Half the phone operators will tell you drivers dont have phones to ring for directions, but more than likely you will get a call from a driver when they are trying to follow call center directions. I wonder do the poor guys have to use there own phones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I received an order from hardwareversand via UPS last week. The driver rang me in the morning to confirm where I was. The emergency situation they are referring to is probably all the chaos happening at Calais.

My tracking number says "Destination Scan" since 6am this morning.. Will I receive it today or do i have to wait till Monday :/
    My schedule delivery day is today.. I don't trust it because my PC was late two feckin times already!

Advertisement